Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mjnelson99

Re: Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

Post by mjnelson99 »

I also got the error message about Incoming Server already exists.

After reading the messages just above this one, I decided to copy those two files mentioned from a working Thunderbird profile on my other computer. It seems like it worked. :D

At worst, you would delete the copied files and input all email acct data again. UGH! :cry:

What I did wonder is if all your emails previously received would be lost in doing the deletions.
Mary
Last edited by mjnelson99 on August 14th, 2010, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paloseco

Post by Paloseco »

I hope they solve it in the next version.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Paloseco wrote:I hope they solve it in the next version.

Would be nice if when you delete an email account that the info in the profiles is also removed.

I also wish there were useful help files contained within the program itself instead of needing to rely on forums like this one.
Shadowajohn

Post by Shadowajohn »

bpsdbtb wrote:Just a note in addition to the previous post:

Uninstalling Thunderbird does NOT remove its "Profile.ini" and "xxxxxxx.default" files in the appropriate directories on the C: drive. Thus, a reinstallation of TB picks up the old undeleted profiles and that's why you keep having the "incoming server already exists" problem. In XP/2000 navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\. In Vista and Win7, navigate to C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\. You will see a subdirectory named "Profiles", and also the "profiles.ini" file. Delete the "ini" file and go into the Profiles subdirectory. There you will find the "xxxxxxx.default" file, which you can now delete.

Instead of deleting the entire profile, it may be easier to then go into the "xxxxxxx.default/ImapMail" folder and delete the server folder and .msf that is causing problems. You shouldn't have to delete the profiles.ini either.
jtmorris

Post by jtmorris »

I realize that this is an old thread, and I apologize for bumping it. But this is the number 1 search engine result for this problem, and I figured I'd add some additional information since I just encountered this problem.

1.) Make sure that Thunderbird is actually closed! Go into the Task Manager->Processes tab in Windows, or a system process monitor for Linux, and make sure that there is no entry for "thunderbird" or "thunderbird.exe." I have had this problem twice now, once in Windows 7, and once in Linux. If you don't completely close Thunderbird, then it will restore your profile when it finally shuts down and/or restarts. This leads to massive frustration, and/or the suspicion that your Thunderbird install is possessed and is knowingly trying to drive you to the brink of insanity. :twisted:

2.) If you are using Linux, the equivalent folder to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird" is "/home/<username>/.thunderbird"

3.) If you have multiple mail accounts, you should follow Shadowajohn's advice, otherwise it will delete all of your mail accounts. You want to enter the "xxxxxxx.default" folder, and then either "ImapMail" or "Mail" folder (ImapMail for IMAP accounts, and Mail for POP3 accounts). You then can delete only the directory that is causing you the problem. For example, my problem was with an IMAPed GMail account, so I deleted the "imap.googlemail.com" folder in "xxxxxxx.default/ImapMail".
RandyT

Post by RandyT »

Seems like they haven't changed much since. I am running 7.01. I cannot create a secondary account on the same domain as the same problem occurs 'incoming email server already exists'. I proceed into the Identities and I can create the secondary email address there. However, this still does not solve the problem because as far as I can see there are no provisions in place to change the userid/pw for the secondary email account. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? Maybe there is an add-on out there or something... i dunno. Ideals folks?
soulluvva

Post by soulluvva »

I discovered a work around that worked for me on the first try and is the simplest so far. I already had an imap account and I needed to create a second imap account that actually DID have the same mail server. Of course I received the error. So my instructions are here:

1. First create a functioning pop3 account for the same email address you want for your new imap account.
2. Then go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor.
3. In the filter enter: mail.server.server and you should end up close to the bottom of the list on your new pop3 account. Double click on it and change "pop3" to "Imap" and click OK.
4. After this step, go into the account settings for the new account and it will now be an IMAP account. Make sure your settings are correctly set for your folders and synchronization for that new account (you should see the new email addres in the drop down field).

I restarted TB and my folders showed up and started downloading. You may not even have to restart, but I did just to make sure nothing was messed up on a restart. I got a few weird folders too under the new account that I deleted then restarted TB and everything was fine after that.

Good luck!
RandyT

Post by RandyT »

Thanks, a word around will do just fine. From what you wrote, makes perfect sense and should do the trick for me.

Have a good weekend!
kenan

Post by kenan »

Guys,

I am begging: STOP FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS in Thunderbird. Every time there is an upgrade, you screw up the current.
Why do we still experience simple problems over and over again after years of developments. Something is wrong here.

It is an email agent after all, why changing things. I do not understand. IMAP is the same IMAP, port 25 is the same port 25. We read emails, send etc. That's all we need.

STOP further developments. Do not waste your and our times, please.

Another pissed off open-source user.
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

First off this is not an official Mozilla Thunderbird forum, we are users helping other users. Second, development for the most part has stopped now with Thunderbird as the focus now is more on security and stability releases than new features. Third, you are replying to a very old thread which should have been locked long ago. Finally, if you are having an issue, please start a new thread and describe exactly the issue you are experiencing.

Now, will a mod please close this old thread...
tcio27

Post by tcio27 »

bpsdbtb wrote:I found a fix for this vexing "incoming server already exists" problem that finally worked for me. Locate the TB "Profile" files in the appropriate Application Data directory (see the eHow article on "How to Transfer Thunderbird Settings and Email on a Windows PC" for info on how to find these files in Win XP, Vista, and XP). Delete the "profiles.ini" file and then in the "Profiles" subdirectory, delete the "xxxxxxx.default" file, where the x's are random characters.........etc, etc...

Good Lord!!!! This worked!!! I've been fighting with this stupid program for two days now trying to get TB to accept one of my new email addresses. I've tried about a dozen of other email clients but man I've been using TB for so many years it's a real pain in the rear getting all used to these other programs not to mention everyone of them I tried wouldn't accept one or the other email accounts that TB would lol! Just been a real headache. Thanks so much friend :)