Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
rainerm

Post by rainerm »

I have only one beef - and it is a minor one - but it would be nice if it would be fixed. It has been fixed very nicely in Firefox in the meantime. Firefox now has the (what I would regard to be an ideal) solution in the form of an extension - called Resize Search Box (in the Appearance category under Extensions) that, operationally, does exactly what I am (ideally) asking for. It would be nice if the same capability would be provided for Thunderbird (i.e., for resizing the Search box that is now in the upper right hand corner in Thunderbird).

I presented this request on Nov. 10 on the Thunderbird Features forum. Below is the text from there -

The search window on the search bar of Thunderbird used to be much wider - and I liked that. I suspect that the search window was narrowed (considerably) to make it consistent with the search window in Firefox.

It would be nice if an option were offered for having it either way - so that people like me who like(d) the wider window (lined up with the e-mail subject so the focus of the eyes does not have to shift when one wants to do a search for an e-mail) can have that option, too.

I am sure that some people like it the new way - but I find it quite annoying and have not (really) been able to get used to it. (In Firefox, the issue is different because one is also dealing with an address bar - and the overall dynamics are different, too, because one is dealing with a web browser, not an e-mail client.)

There is an option in Firefox (using the userChrome.css file) for changing the size of the search window - but I see no option for changing the setting in Thunderbird (and I never have).

Would it be possible to provide an option for a narrow or wide search window in Thunderbird - or (even, maybe) provide a setup, like in Firefox, whereby the user can select (using the userChrome.css file) the desired width (i.e., a full range of sizes) of the Thunderbird search window?
ZookQValem

return receipt bug....

Post by ZookQValem »

BobH wrote:Do the read (return) receipts work now?

That is bug #178820 but it's for IMAP mailbox, I don't know if that apply in your case or not. It's for the Mozilla suite, should be forked over to Thunderbird by now or then.
peekj

Post by peekj »

On SuSE 9.1 everything works but there's a weird bug that every second time I start it, the Local Folders are collapsed. Every other time they are expanded (the way I want them).
John Bokma

Post by John Bokma »

Haven't read all (yet), but to me it's quite annoying that if a subfolder in a folder receives email the only way I can see it is by opening the treeview so the subfolder is visible. With a few folders with many subfolders, and several accounts, this is quite hard.

I suggest to make somehow visible if a closed folder has a subfolder(s) with a new message. Also, the number of unread messages would be nice, something like:

Folder (4/2*, 7/3*)

meaning, 4 unread messages, 2 new inside Folder itself, 7 unread messages in subfolders of Folder (or subfolders of subfolders of ... ) of which 3 are new.

Now I have to hunt for new messages :-(
traverse

NON-working RETURN RECEIPTS - encore, and TB PRINTING confus

Post by traverse »

There seem to be RetRcpts BUG duplicates and triplicates ++, and ALL of them deal with the MOZILLA 5/ SEAMONKEY mail/news RRs, iIMAP and more.. I hope they've checked the pops as well ..

Bug # 178820 was opened: 2002-11-07 02:20 PDT, and disposed of after TWO YEARS on 2004-11-26 10:07 PDT (see Comment # 31 quoted below), with patch apparently also applied in TB 1.0 .. Is it the TB RC 1.0, or TB 1.0 next edition ??

I am still with TB 0.9, and cannot check it .. Should the patch (& RetRcpts) work, I'll downlaod as well - otherwise I'll wait..

Could ANYONE who already downloaded /installed the RC1.0 check this out - if you are with either pop, or imap .. It should be fixed/ work now in BOTH..

Plse just send the short message (one word is enough) to a known address with the properly marked up REQUEST for the RetRcpt (message OPTIONS drop menu), as well as the proper entries in the message TOOLS ==> OPTIONS ==> ADVANCED ==> RETURN RECEIPTS..

Please report here what are the results, and are you imap or pop, which windows/ linux, etc ?? Single , or two levels of receipts ?? By the addressee AUTO domain server, or the specific addressee/ person once displayed on their screen ??
It would be great if this one perpetuum mobile would be TRULY resolved.. Few other people were interested in this bug as well - did you have a chance to check it out in RC1.0 yet ?

Thanks in advance to whoever can check/ test this ..
========================================

To people who had problems with PRINTING: NO problem with printing as such, from BOTH the FF 1.0 and TB 0.9 (windows 2000, and HP printer with some HP driver ) ..

However, in TB 0.9 there is some CONFUSION with the messages TIME of the DAY: AM/ PM vs. the military 24 HOUR clock...

Although the date in the message on the screen is formatted as 12/2/2004 9:12 PM, in print it shows: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:12:15 -0500.. The CORRECT time should read 21:12:15 in the military time..

The second message on the screen displays 12/2/2004 6:13 AM, and in the print it shows CORRECTLY Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:13: 17 - 0500'

ie. both AM and PM time is shown in PRINT only as AM ???!!!

In a troubleshooting mood I did print also a message which was IMPORTED recently from my NETSCAPE 4.8.COMMUNICATOR/ Messenger: it shows on the screen 11/21/2004 6:58 PM, and in print CORRECTLY: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:58:10

which I'll have to check - I have no idea if a person setting up my stuff did install the TB Extension, and with the am/pm mistake - and is it SET in the extension wrongly - it's obvious, the IMPORTED message is printing CORRECTLY, the TB 0.9 processed has a PROBLEM with AM/ PM conversion..

ANYBODY noticed any similar PROBLEM ?? Anybody nfamiliar with the TB TIME/DATE extension ??

All over the world we should all be in 'military' time, ie. 24 hour clocks, and decimal/ metric system - SO easy, idiot-proof, NO chance for confusion ... And, somehow the full day name (Sunday, not Sun) , and full month (NOVEMBER) name, and full TIME displayed on the screen in MILITARY /24 hour/ clock time looked SO much BETTER in Netscape (the last pre-aol version..) WHY can't the devs display it correctly HERE, as standard ??
IF I won't hear from anybody on this, will file another BUG ...
GEE-WHEEEEZZZZ - where's TOM, the turkey ?

In my consulting with NASA some years ago, we were told at some point, one of the many US satellites with the price tag of ~ U$ 250K was just lost before reaching the orbit: the Chinese subs did NOT convert lbs into kilos calulating pressures, and the US superiors did not catch up with it (until it blew up..) - the U$ taxpayers had funded another expensive pooof, because of our industries resistance to convert our economy to the WORLD compatible systems - as Canada bravely DID, gradually, years ago, without too much pain, or shredding of the garments in public places..

>>>>------ Additional Comment #26 From Wolfgang Rosenauer 2004-10-28 11:36 PDT [reply] -------

David, do you think this is worth getting in TB 1.0?

------- Additional Comment #27 From David Bienvenu 2004-10-28 12:12 PDT [reply] -------

yes, I can do that...

------- Additional Comment #28 From Jo Hermans 2004-11-26 09:52 PDT [reply] -------

*** Bug 271820 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

------- Additional Comment #29 From Jo Hermans 2004-11-26 09:53 PDT [reply] -------

*** Bug 264854 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

------- Additional Comment #30 From Jo Hermans 2004-11-26 09:53 PDT [reply] -------

*** Bug 242519 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

------- Additional Comment #31 From Scott MacGregor 2004-11-26 10:07 PDT [reply] -------

I just ported this patch to thunderbird. Branch and Trunk. Let me know if I shouldn't have done that David

Can we resolve this bug now that this patch is in the suite and in thunderbird?

------- Additional Comment #32 From David Bienvenu 2004-11-26 10:10 PDT [reply] -------

yes, that was the right thing to do, thx, Scott. <<<<
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

kepardue wrote:If I move an account from being a Global Inbox to the separate-folders-per-account method, TB should also change its default from placing a Sent message in "Local Folders" to placing a Sent message in the Sent items folder on the account.

See my related thread here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=171019
I don't know if anyone who matters read it or not, though.

In the meantime, I've updated the kb article to at least tell users to check destination folders when changing an account's global inbox setting.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?t ... obal_Inbox
ho.npeytavin@cma-cgm.com

went back to 0.9

Post by ho.npeytavin@cma-cgm.com »

Hi, just to mention that i installed RC 1.0 but after a while i went back to 0.9
i was simply to able to send emails when there was only one recipient.
0.9 works fine.
m_aximus

Post by m_aximus »

and where is outgoing messages filtering :( I thought it would be in 1.0 release and was planning to move from The Bat! to Thunderbird.
BobH

Re: return receipt bug....

Post by BobH »

[quote="ZookQValem"][quote="BobH"]Do the read (return) receipts work now?[/quote]

That is bug #178820 but it's for IMAP mailbox, I don't know if that apply in your case or not. It's for the Mozilla suite, should be forked over to Thunderbird by now or then.[/quote]

Mine is POP3, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I guess I'll just hang on until I can get confirmation that it is fixed. There were a lot of other problems with Thunderbird anyway, so I'll not waste time re-installing it until I'm sure at least that one critical error is fixed.
BobH

Re: NON-working RETURN RECEIPTS, etc..

Post by BobH »

[quote="traverse"]

It's YOUR corp choice to disable receipts - I am involved with a highly regulated environment, where the process TRAIL is a part of the strict regulatory process. Paper trail is dead, the E-trail had to fill in.. And, in my private experience, I've learnt through the (lack of) receipts about my provider's malfunctioning services, and alerted them about it, more than once.

[/quote]

I am in the same position as you in that I must be able to offer my patients an acknowledgement of receipt. I'd like very much to use Thunderbird (that's why I'm still reading the news in here) but, whilst there is so much time being wasted on cosmetic fixes and toys and yet a major bug such as this remains unfixed, it's increasingly difficult to take Thunderbird seriously as a contender for business use. The necessary basic functions should be fixed totally before any other work is done at all.
chaac

Address book broken in compose.

Post by chaac »

Address book seems to be broken in compose/forward window. I really hope this regression will be fixed before 1.0 release.

See bug #272765.
Colin99

Re: NON-working RETURN RECEIPTS - encore, and TB PRINTING co

Post by Colin99 »

traverse wrote:
I am still with TB 0.9, and cannot check it .. Should the patch (& RetRcpts) work, I'll downlaod as well - otherwise I'll wait..

Could ANYONE who already downloaded /installed the RC1.0 check this out - if you are with either pop, or imap .. It should be fixed/ work now in BOTH.

Return receipts are not working correctly in RC1.0. I recently received two Emails requesting a RR. I am using Outlook Express alongside Thundebird. OE asks if I want to send a RR, Thunderbird does nothing. I have Thunderbird set to ask me what to do, and I am using a POP account. However it does work in the other direction. If I send an Email from Thunderbird requesting a RR and receive it using OE, then OE correctly asks me what I want to do.
Jeroen p

Re: Address book broken in compose.

Post by Jeroen p »

chaac wrote:Address book seems to be broken in compose/forward window. I really hope this regression will be fixed before 1.0 release.

See bug #272765.

This bug looks like an duplicate of <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272720">#272720</a> and it is fixed.
Extensions for Thunderbird: <a href="http://jpeters.no-ip.com/extensions/?page=tb_cs">Contacts Sidebar</a>, <a href="http://jpeters.no-ip.com/extensions/?page=tb_ts">Timestamp</a> and <a href="http://jpeters.no-ip.com/extensions/?page=tb_aes">Allow Empty Subject</a>
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using a www.fastmail.fm IMAP account on win2k sp4. They use a Cyrus v2.3-alpha IMAP server which supports the IDLE command . None of the folders are in offline mode.

I've gotten bogus new mail alerts in the system tray for zero, 20, and 103 new messages. In each case the thunderbird folder pane (and webmail) didn't show any sign of new mail. Its an intermittent problem, most of the time it works fine. I've never seen this problem until 1.0RC1.
ianinto

saving sent messages when IMAP connection lost

Post by ianinto »

TB doesn't save a copy of my sent mail if my IMAP connection is broken (though it keeps asking me to try and save it to the IMAP folder, with no option for another location). I know under Outlook Express, if the sent message cannot be put in the IMAP sent-mail folder, then it gets dumped in a local sent-mail folder. Does TB have an option to specificy a backup sent-mail folder, or is this an oversight?