Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Pasqui

Post by Pasqui »

Message grouping is really nice and since bug 267754 was fixed, it will be even better. But I wonder if it is possible to configure the start day of the week. In France, the week starts on Monday, not Sunday. Is there any pref to control this ?
Regards,

Pasqui.
matt me

Post by matt me »

Nearly all anti-virus programs when they detect an infected file (or a large database file containing deep in it the average 40 KB email attachment virus) will move the file to a virus-vault rather than permenantly deleting it. Surely it should not be too hard for the user to restore the file?
jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

Are there any hooks in Thunderbird so that TB could send a message to a virus scanner to scan before it hits the Inbox? That way, we could filter that message without hosing the entire Inbox.
Jeff Bacon
peaveyman

Post by peaveyman »

I don't know what virus scanner you use, but I use Nod32 and it scans the port were the email is coming in and will catch the virus before it gets to the inbox, if I am not mistaken.
jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

I havn't experienced the problem but i usually turn off scanning for email attachments as I'm not at much risk using TB. Virii are usually easy to spot myself and if I do something dunb-ass like run and EXE from email, then I deserve what I get =)

I can't seem to find the bug for this, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jeff Bacon
rodness

Post by rodness »

most modern antivirus clients will proxy the local pop/imap/smtp ports, automatically scanning anything in- or out-bound without any action taken by thunderbird (or any other client). so if virus defs are up to date, anything virus-laden will be stripped.

the problem is when they're not up to date and something slips past, and is then discovered sometime later during a filesystem scan, after the virus defs have been updated.
but this isn't a thunderbird problem, it's a problem with the antivirus client -- both not staying up to date and not treating mailspool files appropriately.
kinamura6146

No problems here losing e-mail to viruses w/TB 1.0

Post by kinamura6146 »

I have the AVG virus scanner (version 6.0) and Thunderbird 1.0. No problems whatsoever losing email with this or any other version of TB I have used so far; in fact, TB 1.0 works great, as did every other version of this client I've had to date on my computer (have used each build of FF and TB since at least 0.7).

I do follow Rod's advice as to keeping my anti-virus scanner up to date (I update the database every 14 days).

I honestly don't know why some of you are having such problems with Thunderbird, unless it is because of the AV scanner you are using (or, as Rod suggested, you are not updating your scanner's database as regularly as recommended), as has previously been noted here.

I've used the software for several months (also have Firefox 1.0), with absolutely no problems sending/receiving email. I do not believe for one second the problems some of you are reporting have anything to do with Thunderbird; the problem is almost certainly with your AV software.

If a database update doesn't solve the problem, I'd try another scanner; some are better than others. I've had good results with (and am currently using) AVG 6.0, the freeware version of which is available at www.grisoft.com. Updates are free; the system will remind you when an update is necessary, so you need never worry about your system's database being out of date. When the database release date appears in red text (on the e-mail protection button on the system's control panel), it's time to update. It doesn't get any easier than that, unless the system updates itself, which, unfortunately, the AVG scanner does not--yet, anyhow. Future versions of the software might include this feature, but for now users are just going to have to update the thing manually every fourteen days.
Jeff, WB8NHV
Fairport, Ohio USA
h2-1

Post by h2-1 »

Re bug 116443 - inbox getting deleted
The problem is that all current and 2005 releases that are out there will trash
a mozilla mailbox. Even though it isn't directly mozilla mails fault, it looks
bad on mozilla and a work around should be used.

In relation to my previous comment about maildir, this could cause problems on
file systems with an insufficient number of inodes, so it appears that saving an
attachment as a temporary file, letting the AV do it's evil, and if it's gone
replacing it with a simple message of:

Here's someone who understands how important this issue is:
BUT, if Mozilla/Thunderbird is going to compete in the consumer market against
IE, it must come out of the box in such a way as to be able to cope with this
issue. Otherwise Moz will not retain the perception of quality that people who
want something better than IE will expect.

to those who say upgrade to better AV, please, use your brain, OK, this is happening on Norton, Macafee, Antivir, don't know what else. You CANNOT lose the inbox, it doesn't matter whose fault it is, I have never lost my inbox ever before using tbird, OK? Never. No user will put up with something like that, currently I do not trust tbird at all to not do it again, so I move all my inbox emails to a temporary inbox holding folder every few days. Plus leaving copies of email on the server.

Version 1.0 rc should not require such careful practices, that's not even remotely close to a 1.0 release, that's more like a 0.6 problem.

I really want to recommend this product to friends and clients, but until these types of bugs are fully worked out and resolved I could never do that, for any reason.

For those who have had no problems, that's great, but bugs are bugs, I've experienced bug 116443 firsthand, which for bug testing is far more important than if you haven't, so have other people, my current sample of one install has had that major bug, plus the unfixed 'get mail' button for global inbox, what are the developer's using to decide to move up a version? Why not get the bugs that are reported fixed before moving up to 1.0, is that a weird idea or something? I never saw any problems like this with phoenix/firebird/firefox, there was usually only small reasons to upgrade from version to version.

It is certainly a weakness of the open source paradigm, or at least of Mozilla's
implementation of it, that a "critical" issue like this one is in fact not being
dealt with at all because the person it is assigned to, Seth Spitzer, is "not
reading bugmail". No doubt Seth has good reasons, but if his absence is not
temporary this bug needs to be reassigned. And since there are those who have a
commercial interest in the success of Mozilla, and since this is an issue which
threatens that success and is officially listed as "critical" and causing data
loss, perhaps it is a candidate for reassignment to one of the few who are not
volunteers.

I had to triple check when I saw that the first report of this bug was in 2002!!!!!!!!.

THIS IS A CRITICAL BUG. Please stop releasing new versions until this bug is fixed. Reading the bugtraq report on this is somewhat shocking, I'm not criticizing the great work done by the project, but this bug is so radically massive that you can't dream of doing a 1.0 release until it's fixed. I'm trying to visualize fielding a tech support call from a client I've switched to tbird and trying to explain why all their email is gone.

I've modified the settings in my av software to not delete the file, just alert me, but, again, that's a hack that is beyond joe user's understanding, as is the idea of leaving email on the server to protect against loss, moving emails to a temp inbox, etc. These are ugly hacks, it's almost like releasing a browser that only supports HTTP 1.2 or something.

The average user can't deal with problems like this, they use their email, they have some av product installed, they get lots of viruses every day. This is the real email world, an email client has to be able to cope with that world.

Obviously on Linux this won't be a problem for most users.
mscott

Post by mscott »

this is a problem with the virus software. Nothing we can do here.
Thunderbirds are Go!
VectorThunder

Post by VectorThunder »

I agree. I fail to see how this can be a problem with Thunderbird if an AV Program only cleans/quarantines at the point of an Inbox?

I run McAfee VirusScan 8.00 and that scans/cleans at port entry. When I have received mail with infected attachments, the mail appears in my inbox with a message from McAfee in place of the attachment. I do understand that certain AV programs don't work that way but do offer quaranteening, thereby avoiding the deletion of all mail. However, I do think users need to understand their AV program in order to deal with this. If necessary, change AV programs to one that scans at port entry.
blatz

Post by blatz »

are 0.9 language XPI files ..compatible .. to the 1.0RC1 versions? or are 1.0RC1 localized version available

thx
Firefox: Version 2.0 // Thunderbird: Version 2.0
blatz

Post by blatz »

1.0 Final is ready. also localized !

need no answers to my question anymore ;-)

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... n32/de-DE/
Firefox: Version 2.0 // Thunderbird: Version 2.0
Daniel_L

Post by Daniel_L »

jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

it's a moot point now about moving to 1.0 (since it's been released) but I was surprised that the release ntoes DIDN'T EVEN MENTION that inbox losing bug! It's a known interaction problem with outside software that HAS to be brought to users attention so they can at least choose to try a workaround. Why wasn't this 'known issue' with a known workaround put n the release notes?

TB is a great mail client (I love it and tell anyone with a little techy-ness in them to use it), but it's not good enough for me to ask my Mom to switch to. Firefox is good enough for her to use but TB is just not there yet.
Jeff Bacon
Daniel.Pfeiffer

mbox vs. MH

Post by Daniel.Pfeiffer »

I'm having regrets about switching to mbox! The net result is that I now have huge files which change frequently. Unless I had backup software that only did rsync-style diff-backups within files, this means a tremendous increase in the amount of backed up data!

Come on guys, MH is a standard format too, and TB should offer a choice!

As for the interaction with AV software problem, with MH, this would be perfect: only the infected mail would be wiped.

As for those who plead frequent AV updates, that's an illusion. Even if the updates were performed hourly, and if the AV were immeadiately available, that still leaves an average half an hour for infected mail to get in. And then it would be found in the mail box later.

So there is very much something TB could do about it: offer the MH/mbox choice on a per folder basis. The little bit of extra disk access doesn't cost much, as illustrated by sylpheed, which felt noticably less sluggish than TB.