Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
cityfan

Post by cityfan »

mscott wrote:the collapsing folder tree issue was just fixed the other day.

and confirmed as fixed..
stonedyak

Post by stonedyak »

I have a folder with ~3000 messages in, which uses group by sort (by date). When I go to that folder it takes about 20 seconds to open. When not using group by sort, it opens immediately.

This, plus the sorting issue means I can't really use this feature yet.
John M K

Post by John M K »

I ran into the exact same problem on XP Pro. Perhaps I did not install it correctly. I simply copied the program Folder over the old one, hoping all the setup options would preserve (I previously backed up both the program folders and user data folders). Any suggestions?

I quickly reinstalled .9 over the 1.0rc to get all working again.

sjeeva wrote:I upgraded and now I cannot access my old data. T-Bird simply hangs with on GUI, except a running process.
John M K

Post by John M K »

Installing the setup ver fixed the hanging. Works great so far!
heffeque

Post by heffeque »

viewing an email with multiple attatchments (more than 100 "jpg" images las time it didn't work correctly) makes thunderbird go a bit crazy and doesn't display de email correctly.
(.-=Kiwi=-.)
My menu: (.-=Heffeque=-.)
Visit: Bucleinfinito Reloaded
Andy Burns

Post by Andy Burns »

Ao wrote:What has to be kept in mind, is that TB 1.0 is ONLY another milestone after 0.9 and the one before 1.1.

It could have been called 0.10 in that case, then nobody would get too uptight about whether it's reached 1.0 quality yet, I'm very keen on Thunderbird, and have exclusively used it since about 0.4, but I think it hasn't yet reached that "obviously cooked" point that Firefox did for 1.0
XeF6

Re: NON-working RETURN RECEIPTS, etc..

Post by XeF6 »

BobH wrote:The necessary basic functions should be fixed totally before any other work is done at all.
Rule #1

TB seems to be IMO being rushed
User-Agent: Thunderbird/2.0 Alpha 1 0808

Jabber IM:XeF6@jabber.org
rodness

Post by rodness »

Honestly, I think that TB has reached the point that for myself and everyone else that I know (friends, family, etc, a lot of whom aren't tech-savvy) it's 100% useable, 100% of the time. For your average users who just want a mail client, it IS 1.0 quality.

The more 'esoteric' features such as RSS (no one I know uses it thru tbird, myself included.. we all use fox's live bookmarks instead) aren't likely to really appeal that much to Joe Q. Public.

Consider your parents... are they really all that likely to care about RSS or saved searches? My mother MIGHT be interested in saved searches since she has a ton of saved emails, but she's so used to her filing system that she's probably not going to bother. My father won't even bother learning a pop client, he's perfectly happy with his web based email (and no, he wasn't even interested in gmail). They're probably fairly indicative of most of the non-tech market that we're trying to convert, and as long as it's a working pop/imap client and a happy fun gui, then most users (of that class) aren't going to go exploring deeper than that. The ones that will are probably already posting on mozillazine and know how to ask for help with those features.

Given that the base functionality is as solid as it is, I don't think a 1.0 is unreasonable. Most of the "enthusiasts" aren't waiting with baited breath for 1.0, they're waiting for 1.1 and the trunk merge. So let the devs get 1.0 out and enjoy the holidays, and then make the end users happy by working on 1.1 for the enthusiasts and incorporating 1.0 feedback.

-rod
hijitus

Attachments problem

Post by hijitus »

Hey, I'm using 0.9 and there's a bug with the attachments that I noticed since 0.6 (first version I used)

Usually the attachments CANNOT BE SEEN, they're replaced by something like "Part 1.1" or "Part 1.2" that looks like a text file, and when I open it I get something like:

That's an automated signature that also appears at the end of the messages in that forum.

When once I tried to import Outlook messages into TB 0.6 it garbled all HTML-based mails and placed this bogus attachment. Anyway TB 0.6 was already FAR superior than Outlook so I kept using TB, but IT WOULD BE GREAT IF THIS IS FIXED FOR 1.0

More about this on TB 0.6: checking my old imported mail, all HTML mail shows EMPTY with attachments, one is "Part 1.1" and other (not always present) is something like ATT00008.txt
So it's something partially fixed.

There's something else that would be great: if your server deletes your mail automatically after some days, TB could keep it instead of deleting it. (using IMAP with Offline extension)
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

I for one, can't click a web link in my messages and have them open up in IE. Is this a problem with my IE settings or is this a bug in the current TB builds?

I'm using the 12/02 build.
hansen

Post by hansen »

christian

Post by christian »

Also allowing the user to delete all the mails in the junk folder with the right click option as on the trash would be great.
Another problem is that when a lot of messages in the junk folder are selected and one press delete, tb doesnt manage to delete them all, one must mark about half then delete (move to delete folder).. so an option to purge the messages in the junk folder would be highly appreciated.
TB also hangs when switching between reading mail on different imap accounts sometimes, a simple restart of TB does it.. but still.

This is all with TB 0.9 (20041103)
God is a comedian playing to an audience, too afraid to laugh.
heffeque

Post by heffeque »

there's a plugin for that ;)
(.-=Kiwi=-.)
My menu: (.-=Heffeque=-.)
Visit: Bucleinfinito Reloaded
jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

Ao wrote:What has to be kept in mind, is that TB 1.0 is ONLY another milestone after 0.9 and the one before 1.1.

mscott quoted that a few days ago, and I guess that's the point we have to consider.
TB 1.0 is not a really noticeable release, and must not be compared to the huge advertisements and improvements that have been done before FF 1.0 is out.

you may not think that 1.0 is more then just 'another milestone' however 1.0 is universally regarded in the software industry as a version number indicating that the product is ready for public consumption. All versions previous are given special treatment as 'not yet complete', but 1.0 is supposed to indicate that all is ready.

The media and reviewers wait for a 1.0 release to really give an accurate review/recommendation for a product. Prior to 1.0 they go easy on a product as stuff that doesn't work is supposed to be fixed at 1.0. If you really care about Thunderbird being more than a niche browser, you better care that 1.0 is solid as there will be tons of uninvited press (reviews) on it when it hits 1.0 and if it is not solid then, it will get shredded by reviews and people respect reviewers opinions. First impressions are everything so if a new user reads a bad first review of the 'final' 1.0 product, they can be turned off for a long time and much harder to convert later.

Having a solid, bug free, easy to use 1.0 product is one of the most important goals of a new piece of software -- especially one that will get as much publicity as the Moz products always do. Waiting to release a solid 1.0 will serve us much better then rushing the version out so we can say we hit 1.0.
Jeff Bacon
Virtuose TK

Post by Virtuose TK »

The string is already at 1.0 on the nightlies,so just to ask when it will be display and offical released on the main page?
Windows XP
Firefox 1.0.1/Nightly