Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mjc

Post by mjc »

Hi traverse,

The receipt bug will be fixed, in time. I've been using TB since v0.2, and every bug that has affected me (mostly IMAP problems) has been fixed. It's taken a while, but they've been fixed.

The receipt bug is obviously critical to you - TB may not be ready for you yet, given your particular requirements. But I think is is suitable for a very wide range of people.

You might want to check out the various themes that are available for TB. Perhaps there is one that is more appealing to you than the default theme. (I experimented with Netscape clients in the past. Personally, I never liked the Netscape UI. But that's personal taste, of course.)

I can't help you with the font-sizing/color issue though - I don't know much about it. File or monitor a feature request on bugzilla if you haven't already, to encourage the developers.

TB is a work in progress. Calling it "v1.0" won't change that.

- Mike
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

Using RC1 on WinXP, when I try to send and attach a file from Office 2003, TB doesn't remember the correct filename and replace it by something as DRTXXX.doc or .ppt.

But it seems to work with Word 2002 / Win2k (from Excel 2002, filenames become something as 99D.tmp)

Anyone else noticing this ?

Regards,

GS

PS : I posted the same message in the "The Official 2004-12-01 [Br/Tr] builds" thread. Sorry for that but i think it's a serious issue !
kepardue

Post by kepardue »

If I move an account from being a Global Inbox to the separate-folders-per-account method, TB should also change its default from placing a Sent message in "Local Folders" to placing a Sent message in the Sent items folder on the account.
AGSHender

Post by AGSHender »

Hmmm, noticing a recurring issue that I'm having some trouble locking down. After TB has been open for awhile, when I click the "Get New Mail" button to select "Get All New Messages" the selection is greyed out. I manually check my mail now and then, so this is probably after both some automated checks and a manual check or two already, but I have to restart TB to get the selection back.

Anyone else afflicted by this?
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

AGSHender wrote:Hmmm, noticing a recurring issue that I'm having some trouble locking down. After TB has been open for awhile, when I click the "Get New Mail" button to select "Get All New Messages" the selection is greyed out. I manually check my mail now and then, so this is probably after both some automated checks and a manual check or two already, but I have to restart TB to get the selection back.

Anyone else afflicted by this?

Yes, it occurs when you try to customize the main toolbar then cancel (twice). I see this bug since at least TB 0.8.
AGSHender

Post by AGSHender »

Gregor Samsa wrote:Yes, it occurs when you try to customize the main toolbar then cancel (twice). I see this bug since at least TB 0.8.

Is there a workaround for it that you know of?
jeffbacon

me too

Post by jeffbacon »

andrea.m wrote:Gruoup by sort by date descending still has the dates ascending within the groups: only the groups are descending.

I see this too and it's kinda annoying... actually, a bug =)
Jeff Bacon
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

My copy does not have a checkbox to enable/disable checking for updated themes/extensions. It just has a "check now button". However, I just got a alert in the system tray that there were updates available. I don't have any new mail so I don't think it was a case of the wrong text being displayed.

I pressed the update button in both tools->extensions and tools->themes and it claimed there was nothing new available. I also pressed the check now button in tools->options->advanced and it found nothing. So it appears to have been completely spurious.

I thought there used to be a checkbox that controlled whether it would automaticly check. If so, could we have it back?

version 1.0RC1 (20041201) under win2k sp4.
Deacon Nikolai

Why?

Post by Deacon Nikolai »

Why no mention on the Mozilla front page like Firefox 1.0RC1 got?
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://www.EuphrosynosCafe.com
kinamura6146

TB 1.0RC comments

Post by kinamura6146 »

Hi,

I downloaded TB 1.0RC this afternoon and find it works well with Win98SE (my current OS). Have used each release of Thunderbird and Firefox since 0.8, having switched from Internet Explorer and Outlook Express about three months ago, give or take.

IMO, FF and TB have it all over IE6, and fewer security problems to boot (the main reason I switched). Great to be using a browser and e-mail client that doesn't need patching every other day or so because another security hole has been found. MS just recently issued a patch for a security flaw it found in IE6 a month (!) ago.

I don't see myself going back to IE6 any time soon--certainly not as long as MS keeps finding security flaws in its browser. I will be using FF/TB in the foreseeable future as well because it will work with Win98SE, whereas the new versions of IE and OE will only (supposedly) work with Windows XP and later operating systems. I live on a fixed income and cannot afford to be upgrading OSs every time a new one is released by Microsoft.

I've been using Win98SE since purchasing my computer five years ago and need a browser that will work with it, yet not have as many security issues as IE6 has had over the last year (!) and continues to have. FF is that browser. :biggrin: Mozilla.org is to be commended for developing, finally, a truly secure browser. Keep up the good work--you have one very satisfied Firefox/Thunderbird user here.
Jeff, WB8NHV
Fairport, Ohio USA
codeman38

Post by codeman38 »

My personal Thunderbird bugaboo is the rather lackluster support for externally saved messages. Not only is there no ability to import and/or perform operations on saved .eml files, as described in Bug 193281 and Bug 268476, even the display is incorrect as explained in Bug 241212.

I'll be glad when this is fixed-- as it is, these bugs are already marked as blocking Thunderbird 1.0...
Last edited by codeman38 on December 2nd, 2004, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raananb

Post by raananb »

Installed version 1.0RC1 (20041201) (Installer) on Win XP SP2 - after uninstalling previous version - everything working fine.

An issue with Check Spelling window: When more than one language is installed, clicking on the language selection arrow opens a list which drops right out of the window (is this normal behavior in a Window context?) and then, when a language is selected, the Check Spelling window is repainted before the list is closed, giving a very ugly image until the list closes.
Deacon Nikolai

Post by Deacon Nikolai »

In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://www.EuphrosynosCafe.com
carpy

Printing problems to networked CUPS-LPD for Epson C84

Post by carpy »

Has anyone else noticed issues printing to certain printers from Thunderbird and Firefox lately?
I've been using Mozilla/Mozilla Mail and Firefox/Thunderbird for some time now. Since I upgraded to Thunderbird 0.9 and Firefox 1.0 I have experienced printing issues when printing to my Epson C84 printer through a networked CUPS-LPD implementation. The print job comes through the network and cups-lpd spits out a message "Unable to print file - client-error-bad-request". The CUPS logs then show the same thing: "POST /printers/epson HTTP/1.1" then "print_job: No file!?!"

The reason I bring this up here is that Acrobat and all other KDE applications print fine through the same setup from the same system. It seems only to be Firefox/Thunderbird. The stranger thing is that Firefox/Mozilla seem to be capable of printing to other HP Laserjet printers...

Any thoughts?
Enterprise Information Systems
http://www.eisgr.com
* BigBlock Network Service Appliances
* Network / Security Consulting
marciak

Post by marciak »

Dean: have you submitted talkback for these crashes? If so, let me know the numbers so we can take a look at the stack trace.

marcia

waldow wrote:Hi, The basic program looks great on OSX 10.3.6 but... One main bug I have experienced in 0.9 where TB just crashes for no known reason to me is documented in the /var/log/system.log file as below. I could not tell if this one is fixed or not given the documentation. It has to do with "ATSUMeasureText" being replaced with "ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds". It seems to crash after only a few minutes of use. I would love to use TB all the time but it crashes so much I can't yet.

Dec 1 19:41:36 pb /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***
Dec 1 19:42:30 pb crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/waldow/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/thunderbird-bin.crash.log
Dec 1 19:42:31 pb crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/waldow/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/thunderbird-bin.crash.log

Thanks, Dean W.