Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Levin

Post by Levin »

Hi! RC1 looks great! Congratulations.

I'm a Seamonkey user since the beginning, and before that a Netscape Communicator user. All my mail were ever read and composed using Netscape, and later Mozilla Builds. I never did have a complaint to do. I'm eager to switch to Thunderbird, but there is one small bug to resolve: importing perfectly seamonkey mail (addresses, mail and setting).

I did grab a Mac OS X RC1 build and tried these steps to import my Seamonkey mail.

1. Use the import menu command. To no avail. It lists only Eudora and Netscape Communicator 4. There is no option for Netscape 6 or Mozilla.

2. I deleted my Library/Thunderbird folder. Great! Firing up Thunderbird showed a new import window where I could import Netscape 6 or Mozilla. All went quickly and fine. The setting and the Address Book did import. But where were all my mails? Every folders were empty?

3. Upon looking into the Profiles files in Library/Thunderbird, I found out <b>2</b> folders for my mail using the same name, but one with an extra "-1" (ie pop.maildomain-1.ca) added at the end of the folder name! This is clearly a <b>folder naming bug,</b> because all my mail was imported in a folder without the "-1" (ie pop.maildomain.ca).

<b>The fix</b>
I renamed these two folders making sure my real mail folder had the "-1" addition in its name. Now I have successfuly migrated to Thunderbird and all my messages are shown intact. Sadly, non-technical Mozilla users won't be able to migrate easily to Thunderbird.

Can anyone tell my if there is a Bugzilla bug on this? Or another thread on this forum? I'll gladly comment what happened on my Macintosh mail migration.

Thanks
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

For a change, I grabbed the Windows installer version and deliberately installed it on top of the 0.9 milestone (also installer version), without uninstalling 0.9 first. It seems to have installed OK and is working fine, but 0.9 still shows in the Add/Remove Programs part of the Windows control panel.

I thought I'd read somewhere in bugzilla that the installer version would clean out the Window registry so that this would no longer happen. No?
SoaRex

Re: Thunderbird 1.0 Release Candidate 1 Is Now Available!

Post by SoaRex »

mscott wrote:<b>What's New In 1.0</b>
Fix problems creating folders with semicolons or # signs in the name

Both Bug 94124 and Bug 115091 are still open.
Mscott, what bug/which patch has fixed problem when "#" in mail folder name?
Or your word "folder" is "Folder on Mac or Directry on Unix/MS Windows" instead of "Mail folder on Thunderbird"?
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Just for testing I moved my TB profiles and then did a full import of settings, address books, and mail from Eudora. It seems to have worked very well: the mail is clean (without all the visible html tags!), the two POP accounts are set up properly, and mailing lists migrated properly.

The only thing that seems off is that ALL of my sent messages from Eudora (from the Out box) migrated into the Unsent Messages folder in TB. Nothing came into TB's Sent folder. That doesn't seem right.

----------
Also did a full import from the Suite, and it seems to have worked perfectly. The only thing was that when I exited TB about 5 minutes later, it crashed upon exit. (Talkback: TB2308808G.) I often get crashes on exiting any new build of TB the first time I run it, though, so maybe it's just me. Using WinXP.
SoaRex

Post by SoaRex »

Levin wrote:3.
This is clearly a <b>folder naming bug</b>

No. This is Bug 268034
Daniel_L

Post by Daniel_L »

May I make a feature request here? (If not, please tell me...)

For printing an address book/adress book list I'd like to have the option just to print the emails only, without the detailed cards. that would be great! :-)

Thunderbird 1.0 RC1 looks great so far (though I miss the modern theme). Keep up the great work!

Best wishes
Daniel
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

This is incredibly minor but still worth fixing for 1.0: the Start Page says
Mozilla Thunderbird is a powerful open-source mail and news client, supporting advanced junk mail detection and other useful features.

The word "supporting" should be replaced with "providing" or "with". It would sound more like normal English that way. Seriously. :)
BobH

Post by BobH »

Do the read (return) receipts work now?
quasar-

Post by quasar- »

Just installed it. It looks great! I orginally used Eudora, but I made the change to Thunderbird (since 0.8 with global inbox) because I like Thunderbirds simplicity. Eudora (and other clients) usually have alot of bull**** features you never will use.

I had one issue with 0.9 on Windows. It crashed sometimes when I opened a draft email message.

Anyway. Keep up the good work! You're building the best email client imo.
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

Is there any screenshots of this release? :)

I'm interested in seeing the icons etc, but won't be able to install myself for a while.

Just in case some of you have little to do. ;)
Sander Marechal

Post by Sander Marechal »

I just really hope that they can fix Bug 247313 before they hit 1.0. It's basically a big blocker for people like me who would like to switch their company away from Outlook and towards Thunderbird.
D'B

Post by D'B »

Love the new icons!

I'm quite disappointed with the overall quality of the 1.0 release compared to the Firefox 1.0 release. They do not compare and this will reflect negatively on the reception imo. For example the accounts window is still not resizeable after many releases and complaints... There is no logic to this...
filmsi

Localized Thunderbird 1.0 from Mozilla.org?

Post by filmsi »

Scott, first let me congratulate you and your colleagues on the anticipated and to-be-announced v1.0!
Is it true that localizations (already in the cvs) still cannot be build with 1.0 directly, like it was with Firefox that got 1.0 out officially in some 2x languages? When will this functionality be enabled - in Th 1.1?
Because of transition to localized official builds there were no Slovenian builds from 0.7 on from our localizers and the Slovenian Thunderbird community is eagerly awaiting the official Slovenian builds from Mozilla.org.

Thanks.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Just installed 1.0RC, and found a possible bug. If I select an Account Name and select Compact Folders, "Compacting Folder Inbox" will remain in the status bar even after the blue progress meter has filled and vanished.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
schiieech

Post by schiieech »

looks good, i think.
but one thing i´ve got to point: <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=173448">http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=173448</a>

will this bug be fixed in later versions?

e.