TotalMessage- experimental html5 rewrite of Tb message pane

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
alta88

Re: TotalMessage- experimental html5 rewrite of Tb message p

Post by alta88 »

right, console2 will let you do a Select All. then Copy and Paste into a text file. turn on Strict Warnings and All JS Exceptions in Options (restart).

one other thing would be to include the values of the totalmessage.collectedHeaders and .headerMapMail preference values.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I redid it and email'd you another copy.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

TotalMessage-1.0rc4 has been released.

Major changes are a Header Editor and brief view for the attachments pane.

See the homepage for details.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Includes a single message interactive Header Editor.
To enter edit mode, toggle to Full Headers, right click on the toggle button, and select Header Editor. Hover the help icon for more info
."

It initially only had "customize" as a choice when I did that.

I used the headers tab to delete organization and user-agent headers from "basic". That seemed to work. However, when I exited with done it has no effect on the headers. Looking at the headers tab again the deleted headers were restored. After doing that several times I now get a "header editor" on the toggle button. Double clinking on a header in the header editor seems to let me edit it. However, it won't list the Subject, Date, From, Message-Id, User-agent header, all of the List headers and any headers after the Subject. It basically just has X- headers that were above the Subject, and Received headers.

The header editor doesn't have a scroll bar to scroll the headers. I am using the message pane which I have almost maximized. I opened a message to see if it does the same thing and it doesn't list "header editor" when I right clicked on the toggle button.

I have just the add-on compatibility reporter, console2, and total message extensions.

I restarted Thunderbird and am now in a mode where the headers aren't displayed at all in the message pane unless I hover the mouse over where they should be. They are displayed if I open the message. Left clicking on where the toggle button used to be fixed that, and displayed the toggle button again. However, I've now lost all of the buttons in the message toolbar.

I uninstalled 1.0-rc4 of the add-on.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

tanstaafl wrote:"Includes a single message interactive Header Editor.
To enter edit mode, toggle to Full Headers, right click on the toggle button, and select Header Editor. Hover the help icon for more info
."

It initially only had "customize" as a choice when I did that.

I used the headers tab to delete organization and user-agent headers from "basic". That seemed to work. However, when I exited with done it has no effect on the headers. Looking at the headers tab again the deleted headers were restored. After doing that several times I now get a "header editor" on the toggle button. Double clinking on a header in the header editor seems to let me edit it. However, it won't list the Subject, Date, From, Message-Id, User-agent header, all of the List headers and any headers after the Subject. It basically just has X- headers that were above the Subject, and Received headers.

just to be clear, the Customize headers option determines what headers are visible and how they are laid out. the Header Editor makes changes to the mbox file on disk (or remote Imap server). in Customize, you must use the Apply button to save the change, Done will exit without save. you must also make sure that you're updating for the right message type, ie if you change Mail, Brief but are in a news message, basic view, then you won't see the change in the current message. Otherwise, using Apply, the change is immediate to the current message.

The header editor doesn't have a scroll bar to scroll the headers. I am using the message pane which I have almost maximized. I opened a message to see if it does the same thing and it doesn't list "header editor" when I right clicked on the toggle button.

what is your OS? winXP (oddly) requires a specific css rule to show scrollbars in Full view. but it wfm on win7.

I have just the add-on compatibility reporter, console2, and total message extensions.

I restarted Thunderbird and am now in a mode where the headers aren't displayed at all in the message pane unless I hover the mouse over where they should be. They are displayed if I open the message. Left clicking on where the toggle button used to be fixed that, and displayed the toggle button again. However, I've now lost all of the buttons in the message toolbar.

the Header view has a 4 way button to select the view. if there is no icon/big X icon then on mouseout the header will collapse and show a page curl indicator. on mouseover on the page curl the headers appear in brief view and you can click cycle the button to select a brief, basic, full view and pin the header. in brief view, there are no toolbar buttons shown. the Header Editor menuitem is shown on rt click only when the toggle button is in Full Headers view.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I only have mail accounts. I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu, but was using Vista when I tried your add-on.

I understand the difference between editing the content of the headers and changing the format of how they are displayed in a message.

"Done will exit without save" violates normal windows conventions. I found the lack of text in the buttons (most Done buttons for example display the word Done) and their icons non-intuitive.

I never found the help icon your web page mentions but got a help popup when editing the headers. Unfortunately it would not go away and blocked my view of most of the content. I tried both moving the mouse away and pressing ESC.

When using the message pane I had the extension in full headers view. It lost that mode when I opened the same message. Was it supposed to do that?

The user interface seems too modal. This isn't a programmers editor. I suggest you consider using a context menu that has customize , header editor, and the four view choices in the context menu all the time instead of using a 4-way button. That would simplify the user interface at the cost of being slightly less convenient to switch between "brief, basic, full view and pin the header". Since you have "extensive keyboard support" that should minimize the impact on anybody who frequently shifts views.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

something seems wrong specific to vista. all TM buttons have tooltips and text for text mode toolbar Customization. Done certainly displays "Done" on win7/xp, in addition to being a system button which the extension doesn't touch. the only way to get the help popup is to hover the help icon; mouseout closes the popup. etc etc.

perhaps you can tweak chrome.manifest to osversion<7 to see how vista behaves as xp; i have no way to test vista.

the state of a standalone message window may be completely different (headers view, buttons customized, etc) from the state in 3pane, by design.

the design is flat with very de-emphasized contextmenus or popups, thanks for the comments though.
mad.engineer

Post by mad.engineer »

alta88: I tried using your 1.0rc4 and it did not install with TB 5.0b1 that is released today. Can you please update your add-on to make it compatible ?. Thanks
alta88

Post by alta88 »

the 1.0rc4 on AMO has been updated, so best to get it there from now on. the mozdev one doesn't work that way and would require a new version number.
mad.engineer

Post by mad.engineer »

Thanks. Was not aware that this is also posted on AMO. I believe that you are also the author for userChromeJS add-on: http://userchromejs.mozdev.org/ ?. Can you also
update it's version as well to make it compatible with TB 5.0b1?. I searched AMO but did not see this posted there. Thanks
alta88

Post by alta88 »

you'll have to use the compatibility pref, posted in the nightly thread, or change install.rdf manually for userChromeJS..
Stregobor

Post by Stregobor »

First of all i must say that this addon is great but i have a problem. Somehow i turned attachments menu off and now i cannot see any attachments in my mails. How to turn on again?
alta88

Post by alta88 »

when the attachments pane is collapsed, there is a small 'pagecurl' indicator on the lower right (top right for vertical view). if you hover that, or really move the mouse anywhere along the bottom edge, the pane will auto unhide.
Stregobor

Post by Stregobor »

thanks for an answer. I had no pagecurl indicator in normal view, i saw it only in vertical view. Now is all ok.
J-K

Post by J-K »

Hi,
the Header Editor looks really interesting. I would prefer having the Editor in a popup like in the old TB Header Tools Extension. And I also wish direct access to it via menu & short cut.
The layout changes of the add-on are not useful for me.
So I would like to have the possibility to activate only the Header Editor.

Thanks!