0.2 Windows, GTK2 Linux and OSX Candidate builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
R@F

Post by R@F »

Excellent build. Thanks Scott!
jedbro

After,,

Post by jedbro »

After messing with it for a few hours I definitally see, not only a huge start-up improvmente, but the
responsiveness of the UI is so much quicker (No delay for a compose window now) ;)

Funny thing is, I'm on a P4 2.6, and even at this speed I can feel the diference. I can't imagine on an older system ;)

Awesome work Scott.

mscott wrote:1) Windows just got a huge performance boost and fooprint boost (shaved almost 1.5 MB from the download size) by changing some build flags. You should notice a big improvement in this week's build. This follows up the big improvement in last week's windows build too. Woo Hoo!

Can you provide us with more info on your secret build flags? ;)
csogilvie

Post by csogilvie »

Anyone able to view source on newsgroup messages? Emails work but Newsgroups give me an empty window.
Colin S. Ogilvie
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

rivalbo wrote:Just wondering.. does Thunderbird have a feature (or an extension) to delete mail after it's been on the server for X days? Of all the things, THAT's the only thing keeping me from killing my OE shortcut..

Not yet implemented but there is alot going on at the bug in bugzilla about this, i dont think it will take long for this feature will be available...
pbrunschwig

Post by pbrunschwig »

csogilvie wrote:Anyone able to view source on newsgroup messages? Emails work but Newsgroups give me an empty window.

Confirmed. The window to display the source of newsgroup messages seems always to be empty.
bytemaster

Post by bytemaster »

Great Build! Very noticible performance increase on XP SP1, Athlon XP 1800+, 256Mb. Again, it must really help those with slower systems.

As for a splash screen, I think it is a great idea, as long as you put an option to disable it. This would let people on slower systems (or systems with 5000 background tasks running) to know that the application is loading.

If you put in a clock delay of a second or two before the splash screen came up, people with really fast systems would never see it, so they wouldn't have extra interruptions.
mscott

Post by mscott »

glime wrote:
csogilvie wrote:Anyone able to view source on newsgroup messages? Emails work but Newsgroups give me an empty window.

Confirmed. The window to display the source of newsgroup messages seems always to be empty.

I see this too. Can one of you file a bugzilla bug in thunderbird for me?
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Re: After,,

Post by mscott »

jedbro wrote:Can you provide us with more info on your secret build flags? ;)

No big secret. I was not using --enable-optimize on my windows build. I just didn't notice that I should be building with that.

I updated the build instructions to inlcude that for other windows folks.

Don is already using this flag for OSX builds. Likewise for Andre on linux.
Thunderbirds are Go!
csogilvie

Post by csogilvie »

mscott wrote:
glime wrote:

I see this too. Can one of you file a bugzilla bug in thunderbird for me?

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217503
Colin S. Ogilvie
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

There are a few "bugs" in the new build 2003-08-26:

1) The file "contents.rdf" in "en-US-mail\locale\en-US\mozapps\" shows the locale-version "1.5a". But all the rest of Thunderbird is at "1.5b".

This "bug" causes problems with MozillaTranslator-generated translations!

2) some strings out of mozapps are not shown with the translated strings:
- open with
- save to disk

I can remember the same bug some times ago in preferences-extensions: there was (is) a button "disable extension". A few weeks ago, this button was not shown with the translated string....now it es shown translated. I think it could be the same with "open with / save to disk"...
Last edited by AlexIhrig on August 27th, 2003, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbird Mail DE: http://www.thunderbird-mail.de
Enigmail OpenPGP [de]: http://enigmail.thunderbird-mail.de/
XeF6

Re: 0.2 Windows Candidate build

Post by XeF6 »

SharonL wrote:Unfortunately with this build, we are still unable to view images in html messages in news - we get a blank with a red dot in place of the image, with no way to view

Yup its stated on page 1 in known issues that that bug hasnt been sorted yet.

FWIW best build yet, quick and the basic functionality is there.

[Edit] Now seeing some flakyness with the adaptive spam filters which seem not to be working now.
Last edited by XeF6 on August 27th, 2003, 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cyber-ops

Post by cyber-ops »

still no 'send junk to trash' right click - but i know there are other things more important.
yendor

Crash problems

Post by yendor »

I am having problems with this build. Whenever I reply or forward an email It crashes. This happens every time for me so I have to go back to the 20-8 build. If I compose an email from scratch it is fine. When I replied it let me type a word or two before crashing and when I tried forwarding it crashed right away. It sounds like 1 or two other people here are having a similar problem to this. This is on WinXP SP1
offmdan

no. 4

Post by offmdan »

I suppose this could be number 4

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=

The problem doesn't appear in Mozilla 1.4 but only in post versions on which TBird is built.
DaComboMan
brianlmoon

The spell check bug

Post by brianlmoon »

I can not send mail from my default account. I can send anything from my other two accounts. All use the same SMTP server.

I am going to remove my account and readd it to see what happens.
Brian.