2003-09-12 Windows, Mac OSX Builds Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
elmonty

Post by elmonty »

gbil wrote:Excuse me guys but I’ve asked a simple question which has been asked many many times but no one can’t answer, not even msscot????
Anyone listening?

I know the feeling. That seems to be the modus operandi around here.
Lost User 2526

Post by Lost User 2526 »

gbil wrote:Does this version register Thunderbird as the default news client???
If not how can we do it? It has been asked numerous times but no one answered!

to change this or anything else, try:

start>settings>folder options>file types

go to both URL:news protocol and URL:NNTP protocol

edit>edit>browse to mozilla>set default

that will probably work.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

craymtn2 wrote:To get really picky, it's actually "dash-dash-space-newline". :wink:

Kudos to mscott for getting this patch in the build!

<soapbox>
It matters not what the actual string is. My point is, that any mail client that treats any string in the body of an e-mail message is serisoul\sly broken, unless such a string is defined as being in some way special by an IETF e-mail standard. This string is only special\l by convention and NOT by any standard. Different poeple use different conventions and the sting dash dash space new-line on a line by itslef could occur very accidentlay in the body of an e-mail by a simple thing like unfortunate word wrapping.

Some mail clients leave the space at the end of the line when they wrod wrap so that if you use the string '--' for a long dash, as many peole do (another of those 'conventions') and you type something like:

At the following URL -- http://some realy long URL so it takes up a line by itself -- more text.

It it possible that the mail client will word wrap just befor the first -- and just after it as well.

It is also very easy to get a line with just dash dash space new-line if you are cutting and pasting output from a program that happens to produce an output line with that content.

If the string is to be treated special, then it would have to be defined as such in the standards and the standards would also have to define a way to allow such a string to be transmitted in the body of and e-mail without having the special meaning. So every e-mail cleint would have to look for such strings in the body of text messages not part of a signature, recode them somehow to look different and then the recieving client would have to decode the mess so that the text displayed as intended.

There is no such standard. This string should not be treated specailly by an e-mail client. The only thing that is supposed to think this is a signature is the person reading the e-mail who subscribes to the same convention of delimiting signatures as the sender does.

</sopabox>
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

elmonty wrote:If you want to read the bug report, search for "View Messages" or, for that matter, any message from me.

Why not give us all a break! If you want to ask about a bug please include the bugzilla bug number. DOn;t expect us to search for it.
elmonty

Post by elmonty »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com wrote:Why not give us all a break! If you want to ask about a bug please include the bugzilla bug number. DOn;t expect us to search for it.

I seem to remember a post that says "do not use bugzilla."
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

elmonty wrote:I seem to remember a post that says "do not use bugzilla."

I don;t think that applies anymore and I think the post has been removed. If you look at the new Thunderbird Roadmap http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... admap.html you will see that the bugs being worked on for the 0.3 release are the ones that are in Bugzilla.

Hmm but I just did a search and found it. It's in the Thunderbirds Bugs Forum it says to report bugs there instead of in Bugzilla. So I guess you should do that.
mscott

Post by mscott »

elmonty wrote:
R@F wrote:Give me a break?? I think I was being rather nice to you. I even tried to help by asking what problem you are referring to. If you think shouting is the only way to get attention, at least include the 'thing' you want us to focus on. Ok?

Sorry, but I'm tired of typing in the same lengthy bug report over and over and over and over, only to be ignored every time, and then people act surprised when I get upset about it. All I require is an acknowledgement from somebody on the development team. Or if this is not the place to post bug reports, kindly tell me what is. Don't just ignore people who are trying to contribute.

If you want to read the bug report, search for "View Messages" or, for that matter, any message from me.

It's a bug, a bug report has been filed in detail in bugzilla. Continuing to whine about it every time I put out a new release and then claim you are being ignored is not helpful. What more do you want? We have a bug on record for it. it will get fixed when it gets fixed. Should I list every open bug on thunderbird as being not fixed every time I release a build? That seems a bit extreme! =)

-Scott
Thunderbirds are Go!
JoeS

Huge Performance gains in Ani's and Scrolling

Post by JoeS »

This is just an amazing gain in performance with just about any message that has movement of any kind.
Animated gifs marqee's, or an 'auto overflow' scroll text box.
Prior to this release I got 98-100% CPU utilization..with the current release I see 25-28% CPU utilization.
Now that is a tremendous increase in performance.
The test message which I am referring to has an html marquee, and an animated gif.
snews://secnews.netscape.com/bju98q%24g ... tscape.com

However, the gains do not extend to CPU loading we have seen on certain tiled background
images since 1.4 http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193317 (Windows OS and News)

This issue is so serious, that it has curtailed a lot of folks from extensive testing due to the very
real potential of CPU overheat and possible damage
Let me put it this way, the throbber stalls when we experience the bug.

Thanks Scott, for another great build

JoeS
anowack

Post by anowack »

wgianopoulos@yahoo.com wrote:There is no such standard. This string should not be treated specailly by an e-mail client. The only thing that is supposed to think this is a signature is the person reading the e-mail who subscribes to the same convention of delimiting signatures as the sender does.

This probably falls under my bug <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216678">Bug 216678</a>.

Though, it seems (I haven't performed any real testing yet) that the current version of Thunderbird is putting "--" (as opposed to "-- ") before signatures, and thus no longer triggers it's own signature stripping code.

In any case, having at the very least options to get rid of the deliniator entirely and stop signature stripping would remove the two main issues I have with THunderbird right now.
mscott

Re: Huge Performance gains in Ani's and Scrolling

Post by mscott »

JoeS wrote:
However, the gains do not extend to CPU loading we have seen on certain tiled background
images since 1.4 http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193317 (Windows OS and News)

This issue is so serious, that it has curtailed a lot of folks from extensive testing due to the very

Good News JoeS! I think I found a fix for the background images in news spiking the CPU.

Patch is in the bug. I just took the liberty of respinning last week's build with this patch in it. You can find that build here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 09-14-1.5/

Can you and some of the other multimedia testers on secnews give this build a whirl and confirm that it fixes the problem. I'm also interested in knowing if the fix regressed / broke anything in news.

-Scott
Thunderbirds are Go!
wrecklass

Post by wrecklass »

Thanks for the help. I was (after a couple of false starts) able to compile the new build with the patches "spun in." On Linux, Red Hat 9.

However, I notice that my about box also shows version 0.4a. Plus a bigger problem is either a bug or something I may have missed in the builds, when I go to the Tools/Options dialog, and click on the "Attachments" button in the Options dialog, I see the following error where the options should be:

<pre>XML Parsing Error: no element found
Location: chrome://mozapps/content/download/pref-downloads.xul
Line Number 108, Column 1:
^
</pre>

That caret appears as I have shown.

Has anyone else gotten this problem? I will look at the code later, but it's getting a bit late right now. Everything else seems to work fine.
wrecklass

Post by wrecklass »

Well, not sooner did I post that then I took a quick look at the source for pref-downloads.xul in the toolkit, and found there are CARRIAGE RETURNs (^M) on two lines. One of these has caused a #endif to be placed at the end of a line instead of at the start of a line as it should be. This caused the problem. Once I removed these ^M characters and fixed that line, everything worked perfectly.

May be a bug that needs to be squashed soon in the cvs source code...
Cajun_Man

Post by Cajun_Man »

wrecklass wrote:Thanks for the help. I was (after a couple of false starts) able to compile the new build with the patches "spun in." On Linux, Red Hat 9.

However, I notice that my about box also shows version 0.4a. Plus a bigger problem is either a bug or something I may have missed in the builds, when I go to the Tools/Options dialog, and click on the "Attachments" button in the Options dialog, I see the following error where the options should be:

<pre>XML Parsing Error: no element found
Location: chrome://mozapps/content/download/pref-downloads.xul
Line Number 108, Column 1:
^
</pre>

That caret appears as I have shown.

Has anyone else gotten this problem? I will look at the code later, but it's getting a bit late right now. Everything else seems to work fine.
That is strange. I know when I did a cvs co -r MOZILLA_1_5_BRANCH mozilla/client.mk and then did the pull_all and then build_all, Mine now says 0.3a in the about.

I have that bug in the attachments window as well. But I see in your next message what the problem is. I'll have to re-do mine to fix it as well. I was wondering what was wrong with that part od options. :)
JoeS

Re: Huge Performance gains in Ani's and Scrolling

Post by JoeS »

mscott wrote:
JoeS wrote:

Good News JoeS! I think I found a fix for the background images in news spiking the CPU.

Patch is in the bug. I just took the liberty of respinning last week's build with this patch in it. You can find that build here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 09-14-1.5/

Can you and some of the other multimedia testers on secnews give this build a whirl and confirm that it fixes the problem. I'm also interested in knowing if the fix regressed / broke anything in news.

-Scott

Yesssssss Just viewed a half doz backgrounds that were known to peg the CPU before this build.

Very smooth, I believe you nailed this one Scott.

I'll put up a notice and we will check for any regressions.
You don't know how many folks will be overjoyed at this....Thanks again Scott

JoeS
scottmkraft

Problem with SSL

Post by scottmkraft »

I seem to having issues with accounts that require an SSL connection. Anyone else?