Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 1 Is Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
cityfan

Post by cityfan »

Squirl wrote:That's probably because it's 1.1 alpha 1. not the final official v1.1 release. Extensions will support v1.1 eventually. Some already do through trunk builds, you just have to find them.

The Enigmail folks are saying they won't support 1.1a.. till it's 'stable'... Seems an odd comment but there you go..

Quite a few people wil be put off from testing these new releases if the extensions are not capable of staying in sync within a short timeframe.

Now if there is a viable alternative to Enigmail....
Squirle

Post by Squirle »

Support and having a nightly build that works with the trunks aren't necessarily the same thing. If you get a nightly build of Enigmail and something goes wrong, they don't want you to complain but rather report it so they can fix it. Use at your own risk. But it's basically the same with the TB 1.1 alpha so if you're willing to test that out, why not test the extension nightly too?

http://enigmail.mozdev.org/nightly.html Installed properly, but since I've never used it before, I don't know if it works ok. Got no error messages at least.
cityfan

Post by cityfan »

Squirl wrote:Support and having a nightly build that works with the trunks aren't necessarily the same thing. If you get a nightly build of Enigmail and something goes wrong, they don't want you to complain but rather report it so they can fix it. Use at your own risk. But it's basically the same with the TB 1.1 alpha so if you're willing to test that out, why not test the extension nightly too?

http://enigmail.mozdev.org/nightly.html Installed properly, but since I've never used it before, I don't know if it works ok. Got no error messages at least.

Reread my first post... - the Enigmail nightly does NOT support T'Brd 1.1 - so there is no point in trying it. I already asked the Enigmail folks and they stated this.
If you browse the Newsgroup - public.mozdev.enigmail there are a number of posts regarding this.

I have no problem testing T'bird and have been doing for the past couple of years.
Äkiidoll

Linux 1.1a

Post by Äkiidoll »

Linux 1.1a is very nice Scott & Dave. I like the new Prefs
panel - issue under each catagory -> the far right tab
seems to have a partial tab image to the right of it.
As you said in an earlier post, its a place holder?

The partial image/place holder isnt visible untill the
far right tab in each catagory is focused/clicked on.

Sending of remote images went well - One more issue,
the background of "selected text" is black, instead of
picking up/using my system wide colors. :roll:

I love the about:config editor too, since
the only extension I ever install is Preferential,
wow you guys r0ck!

Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0+ (X11/20050531)
SuSE Linux Pro 9.2 x86_64
Last edited by Äkiidoll on June 2nd, 2005, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
0live

Post by 0live »

hmm how odd they released a trunk version with minversion 1.0 and maxversion 1.1, and it doesn't work?
Linux i686 (ubuntu-gutsy) | Minefield (20081118020400) | Tb 2.0.0.17pre (2008092517) w/ Lightning
cityfan

Post by cityfan »

0live wrote:hmm how odd they released a trunk version with minversion 1.0 and maxversion 1.1, and it doesn't work?

According to the Enigmail newsgroup it will require somewhat more than a simple version change.....

So I'm going back to my trusty x509 certificate and disabling Enigmail in order to proceed.
Gonzilla

Post by Gonzilla »

An impressive release. Mscott, great job as always. While I love Qute, isn't there any plans to make matching default theme for TB? It just seems odd to me that 1.1 is going to go out with a different look than Firefox.

Patiently waiting for 1.1 final :D
rolf

INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the JVM manager

Post by rolf »

If you (like me) get the following error on opening the first message,
Start thunderbird and disable JAVA in the about:config dialog (worked for me).

INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the JVM manager
System error?:: No such file or directory

Since Bugzilla does not work at the moment, here is another thing:
Try to send yourself an email with an ftp url containing a login:
ftp://user@myhost.com

Thunderbird will make an "mailto:" link out of this.

-Rolf
rolf

Re: INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the JVM man

Post by rolf »

rolf wrote:Try to send yourself an email with an ftp url containing a login:
ftp://user@myhost.com

Thunderbird will make an "mailto:" link out of this.

-Rolf

OK, bugzilla works again, and here is the bug (already reported): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=278254
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Nice changes, but I wish the developers would prioritize on what I think would be the most relevant changes to enable a lot of useful future additions and features: create a more usable backend for email metadata. Give programmers and extension authors the API to store arbitrary information with each email: keywords, follow-up actions, more labels, deadlines etc.
TB is a wonderful program, but the fact that the email DB is infelxible and hard to use to unusable it a real problem for future development IMO.

Another crucial change would be to finally make the settings (what columns to display, how to display the message body, etc) specific to accounts or folder - it makes no sense to force users to have the same settings for RSS feeds, email accounts and newsgroups, and not even for different email accounts here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
christos

Post by christos »

This is a *very* impressive "What's New" list...

Congrats to all the hard workers!

--C
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Working good so far for me. Finally phishing detection...Mozilla products gain another very important security feature here.

I'm impressed so far with 1.1...if this alpha is any indication, we have a real winner here.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

wintogreen wrote:
ColdFusion650 wrote:
wintogreen wrote:And just one more question: is there any documentation (even a forum thread) on the functioning of Tools > Account Settings > Local Folders > Disk Space? I don't get it.

its pretty easy to look at it and figure what it does, but here is an explanation for non-figure-outers. when it says "keep", that means these are the messages u dont want automatically deleted.

To what folders, exactly, does it apply? The Local Folders Inbox? All folders in Local Folders? And how and when are the messages you don't want to keep supposed to deleted, and deleted in what sense? Sent to Trash? Permanently deleted? I created a new profile, set up an IMAP account, made an Inbox for Local Folders (since there wasn't one by default), dragged 60 messages into the Inbox and copied them to Sent, and then set Disk Space to keep "the newest 30 messages" (the default value). Nothing happens; I still have 60 messages in each folder, even after exiting and restarting.

Things are much clearer now (and functioning!) in the 2005-06-02 builds. Some initial home-made documentation:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_ageing
pljones

Post by pljones »

Mm, I just managed to send myself an EnigMail signed encrypted email using Thunderbird version 1.0+ (20050602) and Enigmail version 0.91.0.0 with an XPI I've called enigmail-trunk-moz-win32-trunk-2005-05-15.xpi -- I don't think the nightly dev version has a version or date in the filename. Looks fine here. (Though I seem to have forgotten my new email account passphrase...) "Decrypted message; Good signature from Peter L Jones" "Key ID: 0x74E7DECE / Signed on: 03/06/2005 21:54"
d3ck0

Post by d3ck0 »

It wont start on my Win XP pc?!