Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 1 Is Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

naylor83 wrote:"Thunderbird can make it easy for anti-virus software to analyze incoming mail messages for viruses before they are stored locally."

With this option, the AntiVirus can scan email from POP3 with SSL?

Thanks
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:
naylor83 wrote:"Thunderbird can make it easy for anti-virus software to analyze incoming mail messages for viruses before they are stored locally."

Check your antivirus software documentation. E.g., for Norton antivirus:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/na ... 1807593406
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

wintogreen wrote:
VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:

Check your antivirus software documentation. E.g., for Norton antivirus:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/na ... 1807593406

I now that the AntiVirus doesn't scan messages through POP2 with SSL, but only asked if with this new option of Thunderbird will be possible to do that... ;)
majorsteel

Comments on and Problems with new Detach functionality

Post by majorsteel »

-- "Detach" doesn't delete the attachment as expected. It saves the attachment, prompts me that it's going to delete the attachment, but the attachment remains with the message afterwards. The paper clip icon is gone, but the attachment is still there. (UW-IMAP server)

-- After choosing "Detach..." the message is temporarily duplicated in my mailbox list as an unread message. When mail is checked the next time, the original message goes away and the duplicate "unread" message (with the attachment) remains

-- The Detach confirm dialog should have a "Don't show me again" option

-- "Detach" and "Detach All..." (and, for that matter, "Save [Attachment]" and "Save All [Attachments]...") should be available from the message list so I can save/detach all attachments from all selected messages in a mailbox

-- The "Detach" folder browser dialog (on Windows) reads "Save Attachments" or "Save All Attachments" instead of "Detach Attachments" and "Detach All Attachments"
--
this is not a signature
Lu-Tze

Re: Political Emails = Scam?

Post by Lu-Tze »

About Phishing

YFan wrote:I am interested to know how this thing works.

Don't have a complete answer but one of the things it seems to check is if links in the mail point to somewhere else compared to the linking text. e.g. if you have a line like "Go to www.xyz.com" and the link associated with it points to "www.cba.com". At least happens on some journal table of contents I get.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:

Thanks

It's so difficult to the developers anwser this!?
hansen

Post by hansen »

Thunderbird will put every new mail (doesn't matter if it's SSL/TLS) into a single file, before putting it in the Inbox.

This way will make it possible for the AVs to scan the single file and remove it.
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

hansen wrote:Thunderbird will put every new mail (doesn't matter if it's SSL/TLS) into a single file, before putting it in the Inbox.

This way will make it possible for the AVs to scan the single file and remove it.

Excellent!!! ;D

Thanks for your anwser hansen ;)
flake

Post by flake »

I've a couple comments about this build after using it since a few days after it was available. I have just 2 pop accounts and am not using nntp or rss at the moment here at home. One of my sending accounts uses SMTP-AUTH PLAIN

Love being able to use about:config, fscking sweet! Also luv the inline spell checking for my awful speeling!

The only problem that's happened is one occasion where I could not delete any messages. single-clicking and pressing del key on kb did nothing. Ctrl-A + right-click->delete messages would make them disappear only to re-appear when i viewed another folder and then switched back to that folder. Restarting Thunderbird fixed this.

On a happier note, with a little quick hackery, I got all the extentions that I use to install. The only one with a minor issue is the quote collapse extention, which no longer displays the little graphical "[+]" or "[-]" expand or collapse indicator. Something tells me maybe that was an option, but the option button in the extention manager is greyed out for that extention. Clicking where it should be does expand and collapse the section of quoting though. Quote colors, no new window on doubleclick, launchy, folderpane tools, and the view headers toggle button all work normally from what I can tell.

Overall very nice and the qute theme looks great. Screw the dumb ass FF that lost Arvid's nice icons ;)

Only thing I'm really missing is better visability of threads that have unread messages in them. A while ago change prior to 1.0 made this somewhat better but I can't help thinking that if the whole line of the parent message in a thread w/ unread messages had a light grey background or something... Maybe there's some CSS hackery that could accomplish this? This would really improve nntp reading because a lot of times, or in high volume groups, there are replies that are really far up and it's easy to scroll right past.

Cheers to the Thunderbird team :)
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Gonzilla wrote:An impressive release. Mscott, great job as always. While I love Qute, isn't there any plans to make matching default theme for TB? It just seems odd to me that 1.1 is going to go out with a different look than Firefox.

Patiently waiting for 1.1 final :D

Gonzilla, are you aware of the Winstripe theme for Thunderbird?

https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/morei ... hunderbird

I use it, and it looks great.
TnT001

Post by TnT001 »

I think I found a bug in TB 1.1a1. For a description see this post: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=279526
gidyn

Re: Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 1 Is Now Available

Post by gidyn »

mscott wrote:<li>Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed subscription UI, OPML import

Is this https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258102 , or something better?
hansen

Post by hansen »

gidyn:
The bug has been fixed, so it's probably it.
Szpak

Post by Szpak »

It's pity that option (in flter) for disable playing sound notification when certain message arrives (e.g. from high traffic mailing list) isn't in 1.1 line.
brolewis

RSS

Post by brolewis »

A coule of observation regarding RSS and its new dialog.

1) When I go from a webpage to Thunderbird, I right-click the RSS feed link and select "Copy Link Location". However, when I go to the RSS Subscriptions page in Thunderbird and right-click the entry field, rather than seeing a "Paste" option, I am only presented with "Copy Link Location" option.

2) After importing a feed, I decided I wanted to change where it was stored. First, I was unable to return a feed to "News & Blogs". Secondly, when pressing the 'down' arrow, the list of available storage points cycles through endlessly rather than having a beginning and end point.

3) Why can I not decide what folder to store my feed in? I want to create a folder called "mozilla" where I store all my mozilla-related blog feeds.
In His Grace,
Lewis