Places has been enabled on trunk/aurora

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Bozz

Re: Places has been enabled on trunk

Post by Bozz »

Apparently Places does perform a "vacuum" once every 30 days when idle.

http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... anager.cpp

My questions are... What defines this "idle" with Thunderbird and does the check for new messages affect that idle time?

If Places can do it's own maintenance and clear old history, if that's what it's doing, then we shouldn't need a pref to clear history when Thunderbird closes and probably shouldn't need to manually clear history with the Clear All History dialog. I would think that history in Thunderbird isn't quite the same thing as with Firefox.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I would think that we are using places only when following links or for remote content (whether or not it is also cached). Thus, it's likely less than you find in a browser, but if you have feeds configured, there may be a few remote items coming through in this way.

The other question is what vacuuming will delete and what it will retain. Since there is no easy way to check the history in Thunderbird (e.g., Ctrl+H in Firefox) you'd probably have to dig into places.sqlite itself to monitor when entries are removed.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

rsx11m wrote:I would think that we are using places only when following links or for remote content (whether or not it is also cached). Thus, it's likely less than you find in a browser, but if you have feeds configured, there may be a few remote items coming through in this way.

The other question is what vacuuming will delete and what it will retain. Since there is no easy way to check the history in Thunderbird (e.g., Ctrl+H in Firefox) you'd probably have to dig into places.sqlite itself to monitor when entries are removed.

No...I'm not going to try and figure out what Places does. Someone with Thunderbird should already know since Places was allowed to be ported in from Firefox.

I think I'm just gonna drop back to a build before the port and sit there for awhile and see what pans out.
Haven't dropped back...yet.
Last edited by Bozz on July 16th, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Bozz wrote:I think I'm just gonna drop back to a build before the port

Easier solution: Just switch places.history.enabled back to false (which is what the new checkbox in the Privacy options does) and you have the state as before (i.e., no history recorded or used, even if you click on a link).
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

rsx11m wrote:
Bozz wrote:I think I'm just gonna drop back to a build before the port

Easier solution: Just switch places.history.enabled back to false (which is what the new checkbox in the Privacy options does) and you have the state as before (i.e., no history recorded or used, even if you click on a link).

But visited links don't change color when with that turned off.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Exactly, you can only have one or the other, but not both at the same time... (colorizing visited links depends on Places being enabled).
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

rsx11m wrote:Exactly, you can only have one or the other, but not both at the same time...

Sure I can. Don't use a build with Places in it. Links changed color for me before the port. :D
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

That's Toolkit code, and then you'd have to find a replacement to keep track of history. If you think otherwise, there is always the option to build it yourself and know what's in there. ;-)
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

I didn't need to know before. I'm not sure exactly how visited link color worked before because I have my cache set to zero. No cache. I never needed it.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I believe you are running into a privacy feature. A few years ago Firefox implemented a feature that makes it difficult for websites to snoop on visited links. For instance all a website had to do in the past to detect your browsing history was to have a long list of popular website links and peek at the colors of the links. This could even be "hidden" so that you personally wouldn't see the list. The "new" system obscures the link color from website detection, while still being visible to you. If you have browsing history or cache disabled, set to Private Browsing, or set to delete on exit, then the "visited" information is not stored or displayed at all.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Magnus Melin opens a discussion in tb-planning if anyone with an account wants to comment there.

Places history now enabled in Thunderbird
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:
Bozz wrote:Is there a keyboard shortcut to the Clear history dialog?
Filed as bug 1038323.

Patch approved and should check in with the next round, hopefully before the merge on Monday.
rsx11m

Re: Places has been enabled on trunk/aurora

Post by rsx11m »

Today was merge day, thus expect Places becoming active with tomorrow's Earlybird nightly as well.

The patch for adding the keyboard shortcut didn't make it before the merge, thus one round more before it hits the other channels (still awaiting checkin on trunk).
Bozz

Re: Places has been enabled on trunk/aurora

Post by Bozz »

Thanks for the patch . ;)

(still awaiting checkin on trunk)

Would Magnus Melin push the checkin?