0.3 RC3 Now Available (Win32, OSX, Linux GTK2)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Yay, finally a new build. Thanks, mscott.
Mad Maks

Post by Mad Maks »

Username wrote:My assumption was that any new account I created would have the new default behaviour (e.g. remove messages from server) ... but I expected that the setting would remain unchanged when I used my old profile with my old accounts already configured to "leave messages on the server".

the new build uses the preferences of the old one. i have two acounts and one of them have the setting "leave on server" and the other one not. so it use the old profiel on a windows 98 machine

MM
Thunderbird NL
Mozilla Thunderbird NL 0.8
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040911 Firefox/0.10.1
windows 2000 /linux (linspire)
Mad Maks

Re: found the problem with the localization

Post by Mad Maks »

mscott wrote:That's a bug. Which files show 1.5b for you instead of 1.5? I'll change them if you point them out.

Scott,

just in case: i found these files whit version 1.5b:
- en-US-Mail.jar!/locale/en-US/global/
- en-win.jar!/locale/en-US/global-platform/
- Mail.jar!/content/global-region/
- en-US-Mail.jar!/locale/en-US/global-region/
- Mail.jar!/content/global/

with version 1.5 a
- en-US-Mail.jar!/locale/en-US/mozapps/
- Mail.jar!/content/mozapps/

MM
Last edited by Mad Maks on October 10th, 2003, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbird NL
Mozilla Thunderbird NL 0.8
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040911 Firefox/0.10.1
windows 2000 /linux (linspire)
jrobbio

Post by jrobbio »

This is where I'm downloading from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... -win32.zip

BitTorrent link here:
thunderbird-win32-0.3-rc3.zip.torrent

Rob
Official Win32 BitTorrent 0.7: here
BT Tracker
- Get the latest Fire/Thunderbird builds
rickg

Post by rickg »

The OS X build is a partial file (it's 5.9Meg). When gunzipping it gunzip complains of an unexpected end of file....
mscott

Post by mscott »

rickg wrote:The OS X build is a partial file (it's 5.9Meg). When gunzipping it gunzip complains of an unexpected end of file....

right you are. I'm using a modem right now. DSL issues. Looks like the upload dropped out and I did not notice. Will try again.

edit: re-uploaded the build and it looks like it has the right size now. All should be good.
Last edited by mscott on October 10th, 2003, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
rickg

Post by rickg »

New OS X file is fine now...

thanks mscott!
pavlov

Post by pavlov »

Don't use ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/*, use the "official" ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/*.

Only a couple of mirrors have /pub/mozilla/ on them and so those urls will break depending on which mirror you hit. We are working to make this easier and hope to have things sorted out shortly.
eturnal

Post by eturnal »

fishbert wrote:Does Thunderbird also check for new messages on start-up by default? People wouldn't be able to get into the program to tell it to leave the messages on the server before it tries to download their messages and delete them from the server. Not sure if that's the way things are; but I hope not.

Personal opinion: leaving messages on the server by default is safer in terms of not pissing off users who want their messages kept on the server, and is an easy setting to disable if you don't. Messages are hard to put back on the server if they're accidentally downloaded and removed.

Hi Fishbert,

Yes, Thunderbird 'does' check for New Messages on start up by default IF you allow it to though!!! You CAN prevent this 100% by doing the following when originally setting up your Account Information upon installation of your new version you've just downloaded (each version/any version).

When you get that Account Box where you put in your Name, Email, POP3, SMTP, etc., or whatever you personally have... When you get to the very END of that - BEFORE you hit "Finish" - you will see the box to check to be sure you have everything correct - and IN that Box, underneath all the pop3 info, etc., is a "checkmark box" WITH a Checkmark IN it - which reads "Download Messages Now" - and THAT is what will then Download all of your messages the very FIRST time you START Thunderbird in a Fresh Install... - So - all you need to do (I do this each time, without fail, and it always works 100% - because I like to set up my other items as well, before receiving messages) - is UNCHECK that Box - and THEN hit "Finish"!!! And, Voila - you will NOT receive your New Messages!!! You will simply go to the normal screen for Thunderbird - but you need to then "immediately" go to the Accounts Section - and also UNCHECK the other checkmarks as well, for check mail every x minutes and check mail on startup, etc., So that when you go 'out' of Thunderbird, you won't accidentally 'forget' (and this is why I remembered - because I forgot once, and regretted it - so just trying to help you not do as I did) that you did NOT uncheck those things in Accounts - and that the next time you Click on the Thunderbird Icon - you ARE then going to indeed receive ALL of your messages!!! And, that is what happened to me - and I don't want it to happen to you IF that is your desire as well...

And, I "do" have it that way now - I just don't like it all bombarding me initially - until I get my settings all done... THEN - I have it default and incoming at start-up, and not left on server - because, even at 0.3 rc3 - Thunderbird is MORE than Stable enough to be used daily and 100% - and "I" do get ALOT of emails and newsletters, that I cannot afford to take chances with!!! I actually haven't been leaving my mail on server since 0.2a (I did with 0.1 though) - but since 0.2a - it's been SOLID, and I would not lie - because email is HUGE for me, and many others, and I don't lie to begin with, that gets no one anywhere!!!

Hope something in there helped you, sincerely I do...

Eturnal
:)
herman

Post by herman »

AGSHender wrote:
fishbert wrote:I did. I checked every link on this thread, and then did some exploring of my own of http://ftp.mozilla.org and ftp://ftp.mozilla.org
I keep getting errors 550 and 404 (depending on the link).

This link doesn't work for you?

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/pub/t ... -win32.zip

To end the confusion, MScott´s link is working now:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 10-08-1.5/

Also working:

going down from http://ftp.mozilla.org

going down from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/
to: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird
or: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/thunderbird/

Not working:
going down
from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla-www/
to: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla-www/pub

You can click on any link in this posting, also the quoted ones, I saw them working on the preview of this post.

herman

Edit:

I only read the first page, because I didn´t see there were more, so sorry, if I only add noise to this thread.
I´ve tested the all links in preview, and they were working, and now testing the submitted links, I get 550 or something like this on some links:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/thunderbird/ gives 550 failed to change directory, but can be reached going down from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/
Same with ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla-www/

I saw
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/pub/t ... -win32.zip
working in the preview, repeatedly not working after submit, and now repeatedly working again in a new dial-up session.
yushen

message search no longer work on this release

Post by yushen »

I mean the feature of incremental search by typing string contained in the subject, and from. This is the dearest feature to me, which made me switching from OutLook Experss

I'm using Winodws 2000 Professional.

I had used TB since the verison before 0.2.

The only annoying bug is that sometimes mail download from IMAP server could be corrupted, certain emails could be no subject lines, or no test body, or simply not visible from the message pane, while its headers are visible. The work around so far is to remove the .sbd file, and re-download. I jsut wish that it does not mess the mails on the server, so far, I haven't found that.

Sorry, I couldn't find the record of this bug in the list.

Yu
oliversl

Post by oliversl »

I still got the bug when pressing the "Junk" toolbar button.
The email is not moved to the Junk folder.
Tested with 2 IMAP accounts. Is the same bug as 1.5rc and it is not in 1.4.1
Seems a regretion to me :-(

Besides of that, great build!
Rick Mason

Issues I encountered...

Post by Rick Mason »

FYI this is using 0.3 RC3 on a freshly installed copy of WinXP Home with multiple users.

First, I looked for a setting to move the Profile folder onto a different drive. Although I didn't find one, I found the option to specifiy a new location for the "Local Folders", and changed it.

I then tried to import mail from Outlook Express 6 by pointing TB at the folder where the mail was saved. It failed to import folders with a "/" in the name. Shut down and reopen TB. The imported files are gone. I'm pretty sure they were imported into the old "Local Folders" location, as importing again worked fine.

I get what seems to be a more serious bug when I click "Get Mail". It gets the email, no problem, but I am then unable to view the inbox for the relevant (so far, only) account - I just get an egg timer. Exit and reopen TB and I see it fine - the new mail is there.

As I say, FYI - I realise these things are to be expected in a 0.3 release.
R@F

Re: Issues I encountered...

Post by R@F »

Rick Mason wrote:FYI this is using 0.3 RC3 on a freshly installed copy of WinXP Home with multiple users.

First, I looked for a setting to move the Profile folder onto a different drive. Although I didn't find one, I found the option to specifiy a new location for the "Local Folders", and changed it.

Start a dos box. Type thunderbird.exe -p and you can set name and location in the profile manager that will pop up.

Rick Mason wrote:I then tried to import mail from Outlook Express 6 by pointing TB at the folder where the mail was saved. It failed to import folders with a "/" in the name. Shut down and reopen TB. The imported files are gone. I'm pretty sure they were imported into the old "Local Folders" location, as importing again worked fine.

The slash is a known problem. Rename your folder in OE6. replace the / with a '-' and you're fine.
stevenhasty

Post by stevenhasty »

When will we have a Linux build? If I had time to pull the source and compile, I would, but I don't ;-)