Daily Build Thread 2014-08-07 Through 2014-08-13

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
JoeS

Daily Build Thread 2014-08-07 Through 2014-08-13

Post by JoeS »

Daily Build Thread
[If you would like to volunteer to post this weekly thread on a rotational basis
Please go here: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Nig ... ld_Threads for further instructions.]

Danger, Will Robinson, danger!
Current situations to be aware of
Running TB 12 with local mail folders and pop3 mail filters may produce summary files that aren't correctly read by previous versions of Thunderbird See: TB 12 Known Issues

Checkins This Week

Now posted in each channel's status section

Recent Bugs/Links of interest

Latest Tested Builds

The current nightly build, unless otherwise noted

Thunderbird-Beta Thunderbird 31.0 / Gecko 31.0 Status

Green

Latest-Betas:31.0b1-candidates
Tbpl l10n Dashboard
Tinderbox_Builds_win32

Checkins This Week
None Yet

Earlybird Thunderbird 33.0a2 / Gecko 33.0 Status

Green

Latest-Nightly Links en-US l10n
Tbpl l10n Dashboard
Tinderbox_Builds_win32

Checkins This Week
None Yet

Daily Thunderbird trunk 34.0a1 / Gecko 34.0 Status

Busted

Latest-Nightly Links en-US l10n
Tbpl l10n Dashboard

Checkins This Week

None Yet

JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
Stanzillla

Re: Daily Build Thread 2014-08-07 Through 2014-08-13

Post by Stanzillla »

Build is broken since the 23rd for Win/Mac
muddydog

Post by muddydog »

Honest question...
Has work on Thunderbird halted? Or, has it become Linux only?

If so, then will the Daily from July 23rd be released as the final version for Windows?
If not, the could the Moderator or a developer offer a description of the bustage and an update on the prospects for a fix?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

muddydog wrote:Honest question...
Has work on Thunderbird halted? Or, has it become Linux only?

If so, then will the Daily from July 23rd be released as the final version for Windows?
If not, the could the Moderator or a developer offer a description of the bustage and an update on the prospects for a fix?

No it hasnt Halted, i think its Busted due to all the changed in Gecko or something like that, the thunderbird Devs cant keep up. but i dunno why only the Linux Builds are building . my guess rsX or JoeS would be best to nanswer that
Stanzillla

Post by Stanzillla »

muddydog wrote:Has work on Thunderbird halted?

It's been officially "abandoned" by Mozilla anyway, only non-employees are working on it now. So yeah, no one gets money for working on it, this means people don't feel like working on it, which leads us to the state it is currently in, broken all the time.
Last edited by Stanzillla on August 14th, 2014, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muddydog

Post by muddydog »

Stanzillla wrote:It's been officially "abandoned" by Mozilla anyway, only non-employees are working on it now. So yeah, no one gets money for working on it, this means people don't feel like working on it, which leads us to the state it is currently in, broken all the time.

Ah, I see. So many thanks and lots of appreciation to the non-employees who work for not enough love or money.
Stanzillla

Post by Stanzillla »

32 and 64bit Win builds for Aug. 14th are out now, only mac missing.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Stanzillla wrote:

It's been officially "abandoned" by Mozilla anyway, only non-employees are working on it now. So yeah, no one gets money for working on it, this means people don't feel like working on it, which leads us to the state it is currently in, broken all the time.

If you checked facts you would know that most bustage has been due to mozilla-central changes, not caused by thunderbird coders. And no "people don't feel like working on it" is quite false, we have more volunteer coders today than in the history of Thunderbird - and 6-10 of them actively (and pretty timely too) fixing build bustage.

Please don't persist in spreading FUD
Stanzillla

Post by Stanzillla »

wsm wrote:
Stanzillla wrote:

If you checked facts you would know that most bustage has been due to mozilla-central changes, not caused by thunderbird coders. And no "people don't feel like working on it" is quite false, we have more volunteer coders today than in the history of Thunderbird - and 6-10 of them actively (and pretty timely too) fixing build bustage.

Please don't persist in spreading FUD

I didn't say Thunderbird coders caused them, I said Thunderbird coders didn't fix them in a timely manner. Or do you really want to tell me that a team of programmers that works full time on a project would not have fixed the incompatablity issues with mozilla-central in a days time? I'm really not trying to pick on you guys or spread false rumours but it is a fact that every volunteer coder probably has a real job, too and therefore is not able to spend as much time on the project.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Stanzillla wrote:I didn't say Thunderbird coders caused them, I said Thunderbird coders didn't fix them in a timely manner. Or do you really want to tell me that a team of programmers that works full time on a project would not have fixed the incompatablity issues with mozilla-central in a days time?

You also said "this means people don't feel like working on it".

And yes, I do mean to tell you that the team of paid programmers we had 2 years ago would not have the tree 100% green or anything approximating that. Not everyone in a team of developers has the skills to fix every build issue. Plus, it takes time to gather facts, develop proper fix strategy, etc. And summer time makes it double worse because at any point in time a good percentage of people aren't available. Add to that the rate of breakage is increasing because Firefox devs are attempting to move their product aggressively forward, and it's not heard th understand that breakage will continue to tax the Thunderbird developers until conditions improve.

In short, it isn't just as simple as any developer instantly changing a few lines of code.
Stanzillla

Post by Stanzillla »

wsm wrote:
Stanzillla wrote:I didn't say Thunderbird coders caused them, I said Thunderbird coders didn't fix them in a timely manner. Or do you really want to tell me that a team of programmers that works full time on a project would not have fixed the incompatablity issues with mozilla-central in a days time?

And yes, I do mean to tell you that the team of paid programmers we had 2 years ago would not have the tree 100% green or anything approximating that. Not everyone in a team of developers has the skills to fix every build issue. Plus, it takes time to gather facts, develop proper fix strategy, etc. And summer time makes it double worse because at any point in time a good percentage of people aren't available. Add to that the rate of breakage is increasing because Firefox devs are attempting to move their product aggressively forward, and it's not heard th understand that breakage will continue to tax the Thunderbird developers until conditions improve.

In short, it isn't just as simple as any developer instantly changing a few lines of code.

I'm pretty sure that there are volunter devs that don't feel like working on the project every day and that is totally understandable and fine. This does not happen in a paid team, though.

While I don't want to be rude, I'd like to say that if the team you had 2 years ago did not have a person that was specialized on keeping the build system working, you were lacking such a person or even part of the team. And I do know that it is not as simple as changing a few lines of code here and there, still the reason why Thunderbird's development and stability is decreasing is the lack of a proper maintaining team.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

By all means, please believe what you wish, and volunteer to plug the holes
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Stanzillla wrote:
wsm wrote:

I'm pretty sure that there are volunter devs that don't feel like working on the project every day

Actually there are several.

Stanzillla wrote:This does not happen in a paid team, though.

An exact example of this happening is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1055926. The paid developer who is the proper choice to review the patch (from a volunteer) is on vacation for several more days.
Stanzillla

Post by Stanzillla »

Nothing a bigger and proper team could not solve, normally you have someone step in when you are out for vacation.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

muddydog wrote:Ah, I see. So many thanks and lots of appreciation to the non-employees who work for not enough love or money.

Ditto. Thanks to the volunteer developers for keeping Thunderbird going. It reminds me of Outlook Express in many ways, which was one of my better liked Microsoft programs.