Sorting address book

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
jl123

Sorting address book

Post by jl123 »

When I try to sort either by first or last name the program will not sort the way I want.
It seems like those entries that were entered initially are sorted by first name for example but any entry lets say from the last month or so ends up at the bottom.

Example:
When I first open address book (sort by first name)

John Abe
Paul Smith
Bob Zenith
Ken Moz

After I get it to sort by first name properly - it looks like this which is correct

John Abe
Ken Moz
Paul Smith
Bob Zenith

Note: I also have Groups in my address book

I can get it sort properly after I open the address book but if I close it and reopen it it sorts like I mentioned above.
The sort does not get saved.

First 3 are original entries and last entry would added just recently.

Is this a bug or what?

There are no add-ons.

TB 32
Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Firefox 115.0.2 Thunderbird 115.0
tanstaafl

Re: Sorting address book

Post by tanstaafl »

Your are using a beta build, not the current released build (31.1.0). I've moved this thread from Thunderbird Support to Thunderbird Builds since that is the appropriate forum for help about non-release builds.

The only sorting I've done in the address book is either by clicking on one of the columns or using View -> Sort By. If I exit the address book window and then open it again, its still sorted the same way if I use 31.1.0 (release) or 34.a02 (Earlybird). How are you explicitly sorting by the first name? It supports name, chat name and nickname, but not first name or last name as something that you can sort by AFAIK. Or are you really just sorting by name?
jl123

Post by jl123 »

Here is what I have.
View - Show Name as - First Last
View - Sort by - Name - Acending
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Oh. I missed "view -> show name as" because I was too focused on looking for "sort". I'm seeing plenty of sort errors where it uses the username portion of the email address as the name because I have a display name but not a first and last name in the contacts properties. I would have expected it to display the display name as the name when that occurs. I thought it used to in earlier versions.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Please see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1024130 The sorting bug is fixed in TB 33+.
jl123

Post by jl123 »

Thanks
I'll wait for TB 33 beta (when available) to see if it is fixed.