Thunderbird 32.0b1; Imap default max # of connections

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Peterg2

Thunderbird 32.0b1; Imap default max # of connections

Post by Peterg2 »

I was just trying out on a fresh profile Thunderbird 32.0b1. I have been using Thunderbird with IMAP for many years since going with Rackspace which uses Dovecot.

Anyhow, on trying it out and checking that I was getting instantaneous message delivery and notification - using IMAP IDLE - (not getting notifications has been a bit of a bugbear for me in the past and thus have changed mail.server.default.use_condstore to false) when sending to myself (my normal way of testing this) I was finding that I I was not receiving the email (and obviously not a notification).

I then went under Account Settings -Server Settings-Advanced and found that Maximum Number of Server Connections to Cache was 1. This really surprised me and was the reason for not getting the instantaneous delivery and notification of new emails. Changing that to 5 fixed that. It has always been 5 as the default for years. Anyhow using IMAP with 32+ seeing similar? I have as I said solved my problem but is this a regression? I can find no bug for this.
DaveLewis

Re: Thunderbird 32.0b1; Imap default max # of connections

Post by DaveLewis »

Peterg2, FWIW, I'm using the nightly build (35.0a1) on Windows 7 64-bit and I use IMAP with 4 different email providers. All have 5 as the "Maximum number of server connections to cache". While checking out your question I noticed that my profile was created in January (time for a new one!) so I don't know for certain if 5 is the default value on the newest builds.
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

Thanks very much for the reply. Even though I don't have any problem at all, I still tried to work out why it showed max connections as 1. I tried this again also with 31.1.

Repeating the steps with a clean profile, I worked out what I was doing. After installing Thunderbird, I normally go directly to account settings and set up my main email account manually. After setting up for IMAP, ports, servers, etc and testing that the username and password is accepted I then immediately go to Advanced. Even with 31.1 I see it is showing only 1 max connection. The last time I did this I just ignored this and continued with all my account setup (keeping contents of all folders and child folders on this computer). When all of this was finished I then went into the advanced section of account settings and without changing anything the maximum connections auto-magically changed from 1 to 5. I don't know why. Was it something with Rackspace's Dovecot servers not realising the other idle connections (when my standard client had been closed) were not there anymore and later allowed more connections? In any event, this was merely an exercise in trying to see what was going on.

Cheers
DaveLewis

Post by DaveLewis »

I created a new, clean profile and set up my gmail account. The process in T-Bird is quite automated - all settings were set up by Thunderbird. So I didn't set it up manually. The max number of server connections to cache was set to 5 in this default setup.

Then I created my Hotmail email account which is also IMAP. It was an automated setup and it defaulted to max number of server connections to cache to the value 1.

So then I set up my Frontier IMAP email which was mainly automated and it defaulted to 5.

I then set up my last IMAP email account (also automated) on Yahoo and it defaulted to 1.

So I don't see any pattern here with the automated setups. 2 defaulted to 5 and 2 defaulted to 1. I don't know if this helped or consoled. <grin>

I got 5 for all the IMAP email accounts in my old profile. I'm guessing that my old profile had some "carryover" from older versions of T-Bird as I created it in January. The new behavior seems to be different, for what reason I have no clue.
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

DaveLewis,

Thanks for your efforts. Greatly appreciated. Just odd your results :)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

check bugzilla - there's a bug report there.