Thunderbird 38.1.0?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Mouse5

Re: Thunderbird 38.1.0?

Post by Mouse5 »

toolong

Post by toolong »

I had an annoying problem with 38.0.1 which was my interest in seeing that, maybe, it would be fixed in the next release.

When selecting a different folder in the tree it might take 5-6 seconds to actually change, remove the color over the old one and display it over the new one. And then the message pane would show as empty. The way to 'see' the emails was to pass the mouse cursor over the window. Bottom to top would display that way. Top to bottom would display that way. Often selecting a message would show and 'empty' window for 5-6 seconds and then the message would display.

Same extensions, folders, setting, nothing changed other than the version.

Try safe mode? Sure. Same problem. Try a new profile? Sure. same. All of the normal 'try this' stuff.

So now i am using what 'was??' the Earlybird named Thunderbird/41.0a2 (there is no Beta newer than the last release). It solved that problem.

Now? Some RSS feeds 'disappear and fail to connect. The same feeds work in Firefox and other RSS reader programs.

Go figure. :-)

Good luck
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Is it a POP account? If so, when was the last time you compacted the accounts?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
toolong

Post by toolong »

It is a pop account and the setting, every 100 MB, is same one from Thunderbird back as far as I can recall.

Everything worked just fine until 38.0.1. As well as the RSS feeds I mentioned. Knowing the limited resources and all I just 'lived with it'.

My interest in the update was to see if it was fixed.

Using the Earlybird named Thunderbird/41.0a2 'fixed' the email display freeze and blank window problem.

But using the Earlybird named Thunderbird/41.0a2 broke my RSS feeds. Well three of six of them. Which was an easy fix by using a stand alone RSS client.

Sorry if I came off as grumpy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

kloepelm wrote:I'm currently still running 38.0b6, but I'm not clear whether it's the same as the 38.0.1 release. With the rapid release and ESR numbering, things got very confusing. The 39.0 beta will be released as 38.1.0? Huh? What? You can see why end-users don't understand what's going on. (Much thanks to ffextensionguru's Email Mafia blog which does help clarify things a lot.)

Yeah the whole numbering scheme is confusing as heck at first. I understand why they do it, but it is confusing when the developmental builds are numbered differently than the main releases. Also, I think (I could be wrong here) they did away with the Thunderbird ESR releases as it would have been redundant with the main release builds (eg. regular releases only contain bug fixes and security updates which was what the ESR releases were).
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

ffextensionguru wrote:I think (I could be wrong here) they did away with the Thunderbird ESR releases as it would have been redundant with the main release builds (eg. regular releases only contain bug fixes and security updates which was what the ESR releases were).

Correct. It is documented at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... nizations/ and was blogged about 2+ years ago, including http://emailmafia.net/2014/08/16/thunde ... continued/
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

ffextensionguru wrote:
kloepelm wrote:I'm currently still running 38.0b6, but I'm not clear whether it's the same as the 38.0.1 release. With the rapid release and ESR numbering, things got very confusing. The 39.0 beta will be released as 38.1.0? Huh? What? You can see why end-users don't understand what's going on. (Much thanks to ffextensionguru's Email Mafia blog which does help clarify things a lot.)

Yeah the whole numbering scheme is confusing as heck at first. I understand why they do it, but it is confusing when the developmental builds are numbered differently than the main releases.

I find it helps to not overthink and overrationalize the numbering. Very simply there are two parallel tracks, development and release. Development cycles are consecutive numbers. Releases are ESR numbering cut every 7th development number. Mostly, but NOT always, point releases are cut near the end of each development cycle.

Now for Thunderbird, there ARE going always to be anomolies that you'll have to come to grips with on your own because we don't strictly follow what Firefox is doing and because of our staffing level. For example sometimes Thunderbird skips things, like there was not a 39 beta for Thunderbird. And sometimes we are releasing later than Firefox. And as you have seen, there are anomolies like mozilla hosted sites and whoever maintains them simply getting the dates or numbers wrong.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

kloepelm wrote:I usually look at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases which I thought was semi-official but doesn't make sense to me. For example, under Current Releases it lists Thunderbird 38.1 as "Released on some date in the past" while under Upcoming Releases, Thunderbird 40 is described as "Currently in BETA channel".

That page has serious problems. It has been automatized at some point to follow the cycles and dates, but (a) the current cycle number and next merge date still have to be edited manually in the template every cycle, and (b) it doesn't take into account delays applications experience beyond the "during the week of" time frame. Apparently by now, nobody in the Firefox team is actively maintaining that page any more, thus ending up with the "some date in the past" message once a prospective release date has passed.
ffextensionguru

wsm wrote:
ffextensionguru wrote:I think (I could be wrong here) they did away with the Thunderbird ESR releases as it would have been redundant with the main release builds (eg. regular releases only contain bug fixes and security updates which was what the ESR releases were).

Correct. It is documented at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... nizations/ and was blogged about 2+ years ago, including http://emailmafia.net/2014/08/16/thunde ... continued/

#-o Oh yea, I do remember putting that on my blog, but then I thought they changed their mind again and were doing Thunderbird ESR builds.
patclash

Post by patclash »

ffextensionguru wrote: #-o Oh yea, I do remember putting that on my blog, but then I thought they changed their mind again and were doing Thunderbird ESR builds.

That was an error :
This release was initially started as "38.1.0esr", which was wrong. At Thunderbird Drivers request, we deleted the the 38.1.0esr-candidates directory to avoid confusion.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Thunderbird_38.1.0/BuildNotes
ffextensionguru

According to the release notes it has been released as of July 9th. However, it is not on the main Mozilla Thunderbird page yet. I did get the update (took a couple attempts to install) via Help > About Thunderbird.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

ffextensionguru

This may have been answered long ago, but what causes the update to fail? That is after I restarted Thunderbird I got a message update failed and it will try again next time I restarted. The second time around I got a UAC prompt and the updated installed successfully.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

RienTimmer, I've split off your post to viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2948123 in the TB Support forum where you should get a better response (and it's different from the issue that this thread was opened for prior to the TB 38.1.0 release).