Thunderbird 38.1.0?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
ffextensionguru

Thunderbird 38.1.0?

Post by ffextensionguru »

Is there plans on a 38.1.0 release this week to correspond to the Firefox 39 release? Or since 38.0.1 just came out not so long ago, the next release will be 38.2.0 in August? :-k
wsmwk

Re: Thunderbird 38.1.0?

Post by wsmwk »

38.1.0 is simply delayed. It will not be skipped
toolong

Post by toolong »

I *really* do not want to start a flame war. Okay?

You 'guys', as in Mozxilla Firefox devs (wrong forum) and you unsung hero's that work with Thunderbird should *really* be more open about things like these delays.

Release dates are posted and 'misses' are missed with the sounds of "crickets".

Honest to goodness people. A simple acknowledgement that you missed a date, with a simple comment about *why* you missed a date, would IMHO go along way towards silencing 'the great unwashed masses'.

We love ya' but inquiring minds need to know. :-)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Whatever dates you are seeing, the Thunderbird team did not post them. And simply put, we do not have firm dates. We ship when ready. So there is not a date to "miss".
toolong

Post by toolong »

Hmmm...

You really missed my point sir. By a mile.

My point was that 'if/when' there is a problem that you acknowledge it/them.

Stuff happens. And things don't always work as planned.

We understand that. It is the silence that creates the suspense.

As I said? You are, IMHO, doing a wonderful job and I am sorry if you took my suggestion as a criticism. Which it was not.

You have a wonderful day.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Thanks. I do well understand the point. You should follow TB-planning, where Kent posted the following on 6/22
"The current plan for Thunderbird 38.1.0 is to land patches on Monday, June 29 and try to release at the end of that week. This will have a number of fixes to regressions that were uncovered in the initial release. "

Note the word "try". In addition, Firefox was late. And then we got pushed into the weekend.
toolong

Post by toolong »

As I said sir... With all do respect... I don't follow that information source. And I really doubt that many others do either.

Not us not nerds anyway. :-)

Please. A simple request. Keep the common folks aware of what is going on, good or bad, when therr is a problem and the common folks will appreciate it. At the very least i would. :-)

Good day sir. Seriously.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Not really our remit. If you are concerned about delayed versions you should be watching the news groups. Short of posting a sticky in the builds forum when this happens, which isn't often, there wouldn't be much for us to do. That likely would be read by most of the "common folk".
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
toolong

Post by toolong »

Have I mistaken you for one of the devs that maintain Thunderbird?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

What do all the common folk follow?

They don't read mozillaZine, The Mozilla Thunderbird Blog, The tb-planning Archives, LogBot - #maildev, Thunderbird (@mozthunderbird) | Twitter, or Mozilla Thunderbird

Well, maybe some do. I don't follow Twiiter or Facebook.

Where would you like all the common folk to be notified?

EDIT: Forgot to add you could become a tb-tester and help make sure it is ready for release to the rest of the common folk.

Thunderbird:Testing - MozillaWiki
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
toolong

Post by toolong »

Gee fella. I have never heard of most of those 'places' that you listed and some, little Twitter and the such, i don't follow.

Some of us don't program. Some of us don't do well with a bugzilla. And some of us have a life outside of computers and certain software.

So? I am sorry that I asked. I was only trying to be helpful.

You have a wonderful day.

Bye
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

The Tinsmith wrote:Gee fella. I have never heard of most of those 'places' that you listed and some, little Twitter and the such, i don't follow.

Pretty much the same here. The only one I do follow is The Mozilla Thunderbird Blog (and they only post after the release). I don't do Twitter and I follow so much cr...stuff on Facebook it would easily be buried. I am on the testers mailing list, but haven't done much testing in a long while. I agree though it seems Thunderbird (at least in mozillaZine) is being treated like the red-headed step child. There is so much more activity and updates in the Firefox Builds board. We are not asking for upto the minute details, but a status update last week after the release of Firefox would have been nice.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The Tinsmith wrote:Have I mistaken you for one of the devs that maintain Thunderbird?

As noted to the right, "mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation but we love them just the same" That should also say we are a support community.

Why we would all welcome an active presence by the Thunderbird folks it hasn't happened.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
toolong

Post by toolong »

As noted to the right, "mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation but we love them just the same" That should also say we are a support community.

Thank you but I am aware of this. However from the way he spoke/wrote it appeared, to me, that he had more information than an ordinary user such as myself. And since, IIUC, since Thunderbird is no longer maintained by Mozilla but by 'civilians' I would not find it odd to see one of them here.

However I will now go back to 'lurk mode' and leave you all alone.

Bye.
kloepelm

Post by kloepelm »

I'm just a common folk. I usually look at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases which I thought was semi-official but doesn't make sense to me. For example, under Current Releases it lists Thunderbird 38.1 as "Released on some date in the past" while under Upcoming Releases, Thunderbird 40 is described as "Currently in BETA channel".

I'm currently still running 38.0b6, but I'm not clear whether it's the same as the 38.0.1 release. With the rapid release and ESR numbering, things got very confusing. The 39.0 beta will be released as 38.1.0? Huh? What? You can see why end-users don't understand what's going on. (Much thanks to ffextensionguru's Email Mafia blog which does help clarify things a lot.)