rss feed old and outdated - cannot update

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fbu924

rss feed old and outdated - cannot update

Post by fbu924 »

Hello: Mac OS X.11.0, earlybird 42a2 (9? 21-15). I moved the profile folder from win side. But a certain RSS feed put itself into a folder, with stuff from 2013. I removed the feed, but when I try to put the feed url in as if new, earlybird says still that the feed is already subscribed. I did a file search & removed what I could find with the title of the feed in it. I do not want to do a reset of earlybird, or even something more drastic. How else can I force a subscription of this feed (only)? Thank you.
Paul L
alta88

Re: rss feed old and outdated - cannot update

Post by alta88 »

If you move or rename folder files on disk, outside of Tb running, you will break the critical feed url to folder relationship, as stored in feeds.rdf and also leave dead current items in feeditems.rdf. So don't do that. You will now have to edit those files and pick out and remove items for that url manually before it can be subscribed.
fbu924

Post by fbu924 »

Thanks for reply, alta. I tried your suggestion, opening the rdfs in bean, finding & deleting the items having the feed name in them. I made a new profile. I imported the feeds. On 1st t-bird load the problem rss icon looked good (before opening the feed). But on t-bird exit & reload, the same feed showed the same prob. - a folder, not the feed appeared. Nothing in the folder & it doesn't do its check for new feeds.
-I just did an easyfind search on text containing the first words of the feed. It found 3 js files (recovery.js, previous.js & localizedStrings.js) containing those words, & "listenagain.html" (actually "reecouter.html" because it's a france-inter show. Reecouter means "listen again."). Only "localized strings" javascript looks at all relevant - is it?

It looks like just relocating the old profile(s) is not enough. Where might the problem scripts reside? & what are the consequences of deleting nonprofile files for t-bird? Note again, I can listen to the problem show on itunes & w7, where the show podcasts load & update fine. Only a prob. in t-bird mac. Thank you.
Paul L
alta88

Post by alta88 »

fbu924 wrote:Reecouter means "listen again."
Ah. Mais le titre est écrit correctement "Reécouter", n'est-ce pas? And that's the reason for the problem; the osx HFS filesystem will decompose combinatorial utf8 chars when creating the disk file name, regardless of its original form. See this comment; the example is for Japanese but you will likely understand.

The bug has a fix to requery the real filesystem name and thus make the correct key in feeds.rdf when creating a new folder. In the meantime, you can work around this by first creating the folder names or copying the profile, closing Tb, then getting rid of the feed urls in feeds.rdf that don't work, starting Tb, then subscribing the feed url directly onto the existing folder. A new feed will only use the title if a new folder needs to be created, and that happens only when subscribing to the root account folder or on an OPML import. If a new folder is manually created with non ascii chars, on osx only, then you will have to restart, then subscribe to it.

Bonne chance.