IDLE command setting missing in TB 45

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
joeyconnick

IDLE command setting missing in TB 45

Post by joeyconnick »

Hi,

I have the latest beta installed (TB 45).

There used to be a setting for accounts under Settings --> Server Settings --> Advanced... called "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" which was handy to have unchecked if I only wanted TB to check my Inbox rather than all my folders. It seems to have disppeared from TB 45... does anyone know why or if there's a Config Editor way to replicate that functionality?
tanstaafl

Re: IDLE command setting missing in TB 45

Post by tanstaafl »

The latest Earlybird (Version 47.0a2, 2016-03-26) doesn't have it either. A search for idle in the config editor didn't find anything in the server settings. I went back to Thunderbird 38.7.0 and unchecked "use IDLE command if the server supports it" in one of my accounts. That set mail.server.server4.use_idle false. The only other mention of use_idle was in mail.server.default.use_idle. I suspect the reason mail.server.serverX.use_idle wasn't initially listed for each IMAP account was because it had never been changed from the default value.

Moved from Thunderbird Support to Thunderbird Builds as this thread is about a problem that doesn't occur with the current release build.
joeyconnick

Post by joeyconnick »

Cool... I figured there was probably a server-specific version of mail.server.default.use_idle

Apparently the setting has been moved: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1115907
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, the box was moved to the main page and renamed to sound less "geeky" so that non-power users better understand what it actually does (see the discussion in bug 449021). They forgot though to mention this in the release notes.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

But leaving out the word 'IDLE' only creates confusion for those who know what it is.

Simplification is good - to a point. Not including the word in this case is a pure case of 'dumbing down', that I am totally against. It is a short word, there simply is no good reason not to include it.

So, I opened bug 1313365 to change the pref description from:

"Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive"

to

"Allow instant server notification of new messages (IDLE support)"

Which is only 3 more characters (5 if you keep the word 'immediate' instead of 'instant'), but should be even shorter in the GUI.