Can't avoid Lightning

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
tanstaafl

Can't avoid Lightning

Post by tanstaafl »

I installed the latest daily build (build id 20170428030327) and it asked permission to install Lightning 5.7a1. I tried to tell it no (didn't check the checkbox, but pressed continue button), but it installed it anyways, as a disabled add-on. There is no option to remove it in tools -> add-ons. I didn't spot anything about Lightning in the daily build thread. I had done a custom setup in a different directory and used the same profile as 52.0.1 which didn't have Lightning installed, and was using ReminderFox instead for the calendar.

1) Is this a deliberate decision or a bug?
2) If its deliberate, what is the reasoning behind that decision?
WaltS48

Re: Can't avoid Lightning

Post by WaltS48 »

Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, but you always have the option to disable or remove it entirely in Tools > Add-ons.
If it's a bug, maybe some core change in the Add-ons Manager regressing bundled add-ons?

Do you see the same in an earlier build, particularly before the recent merge on April 17th?
There were a couple of Lightning-related changes last week, and then the removal of aurora.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm well aware its bundled. However, it seems to ignore the fact that I had already chosen not to install Lightning (I'm using same profile as production version), and it ignored my decision not to install it. In the past I've run both daily and earlybird but I deleted both of them sometime in march and only re-installed daily yesterday to help test whether the gmail password fix worked. Earlier installations did not have this problem.

If I run 52.0.1, exit it and then run daily again sometimes it asks permission to install Lightning again even though its already installed (and disabled). I still have no way to uninstall it. I browsed my extensions directory and identified each *.xpi file, none of them are Lightning. I'm running Windows 10 so I browsed my updates directory at C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\updates . None of them were recent (most from 2015) and I deleted all of them. Now when I run and exit 52.0.1 and then run daily it doesn't ask if it can install Lightning, but still shows it as installed and disabled.

Can somebody explain to me why/how different channels see different add-on data? They're sharing the same profile but they act like they're also storing some info about add-ons outside of the profile.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

The only options for Lightning I see when starting Thunderbird with a new profile are Learn More, Disable and Keep. Nothing about not installing.

Disable still "Keeps" Lightning, but it is disabled, even though the user is informed that it will be removed when asked to Restart Thunderbird. Poor choice of wording. :?:

Learn More currently links to Integration into Thunderbird | Thunderbird Help

Sorry, I don't share profiles between my Release, Beta and Daily versions of Thunderbird (or Firefox) on either platform. But, since I'm playing with a test profile.

Using the same test profile for the three, I do see different information for each in Troubleshooting Information.

Wild guess. Troubleshooting Information is in the omni.ja file in the application folder. Not the profile.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

Daily is not planned for end users. It has Lightning differently packaged than the other versions to have always the newest version installed for developers and you can't remove but only deactivate it.

This said, it's never a good solution to share a profile with different versions, especially with Daily, as DB formats, and other things, can change and like this aren't correctly migrated which can lead to data loss.
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird