What does TB do with Move Emails?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
jchavez

What does TB do with Move Emails?

Post by jchavez »

Good morning, I have a question about how TB do when emails are moved to the local folder. I have a situation where a users used to move all email coming in to TB to the local folders this local folder was set to an external Drive... well the external drive got stolen and users is wondering if the email that he moved still on the HD on the PC and maybe it can be recover. He also had set the account to delete old mail every 20 days so I couldn't recover from our email provider. So the only option is if the old email still on the HD that maybe recover with some DATA recovery software? any help would be appreciated
DanRaisch

Re: What does TD do with Move Emails?

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
jchavez

Re: What does TB do with Move Emails?

Post by jchavez »

it is set as pop3
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case the chance of recovering moved messages will depend on whether the folder from which the messages were moved has been compacted since that move. Try this procedure to manually recover the messages:

* - Turn off Thunderbird and do not compact
* - Locate the file containing the message (same name as the folder in Thunderbird, no extension) in your profile
* - Delete the file with the extension .msf which has the same name as the folder
* - Open the file without extension with Notepad (or another text editor)
* - Locate the messages that were unintentionally deleted
* - Change the status (X-Mozilla-Status) to all zero
* - Save that file with a different filename (eg. If the folder name was "Inbox", save the edited file as "InboxRecovered".
* - Restart Thunderbird
jchavez

Post by jchavez »

I will try this thanks