Keyconfig, Filtaquilla, broken in TB 57?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Elhem Enohpi

Keyconfig, Filtaquilla, broken in TB 57?

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

It seems that the Keyconfig and Filtaquilla addons are failing for me, starting in Thunderbird 57 beta.

I can open the Keyconfig window, but the list of key commands is blank, and I get the default Thunderbird key assignments. With Filtaquilla, I can also open the preferences window, but filters using them don't work, and if I edit the filters they say "Missing Custom Term" or "Missing Custom Action".

Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing this?
wsmwk

Re: Keyconfig, Filtaquilla, broken in TB 57?

Post by wsmwk »

You should expect many add-ons and themes to break in Thunderbird 57 and newer because they need to be updated.

If you encounter a problem and it doesn't reproduce in Thunderbird safe mode then you should report the issue to the author of the theme or add-on that you determine to be involved. You can also see a running list of reported issues and how to report issue to the author at https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/t ... ort-issues
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its going to get even worse in a couple of months.

The Options button is gone for every add-on in 59.0a1 (latest daily build), so you can't set any preferences. The menu added by Personas Plus is gone, though TB still displays the persona that had been selected beforehand. A few of the add-ons I have installed such as ManuallySortFolders, ReminderFox and HeaderToolsLite have items added to the menus or toolbar, but every add-on I have installed doesn't work.

There has been discussion about the add-ons web site automatically adding a WebExtension API stub to every Thunderbird add-on to re-enable the options button. Unfortunately, it looks like any add-on that is not actively maintained may fail due to a decision that they're not willing to stick with a earlier version of the Mozilla toolkit while working on a replacement Thunderbird that is not dependent upon deprecated Mozilla technologies .

See Are most of the existing add-ons being sacrificed due to adding support for WebExtension?
morat

Post by morat »

Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

Thanks for the replies! It's a bit disturbing to hear that addons will be so unstable in the near future. I knew the addon Firefoxalypse was coming in 57, but I thought it wouldn't affect Thunderbird.

Fortunately it looks like most of the addons I'm using are still being maintained, so I hope they'll be able to be updated soon. I reported the issue on the Keyconfig github page, there's a new volunteer there who's working on it, and I imagine Kent James will update Filtaquilla at some point too. Going to check the rest of my addons...
morat

Post by morat »

I got trlkly's dorando keyconfig 2016.2 working in Thunderbird 58.0b1 with the following changes.

* content\keyconfig.js

Code: Select all

// var gAtomService = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/atom-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIAtomService);

// var str = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/supports-string;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsISupportsString);
// str.data = key.pref.join("][");
// gPrefService.setComplexValue(gProfile+key.id, Components.interfaces.nsISupportsString, str);
var str = key.pref.join("][");
gPrefService.setStringPref(gProfile+key.id, str);

// this.pref = gPrefService.getComplexValue(gProfile+aKey.id, Components.interfaces.nsISupportsString).data.split("][");
this.pref = gPrefService.getStringPref(gProfile+aKey.id).split("][");

// var str = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/supports-string;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsISupportsString);
// str.data = key.pref.join("][");
// gPrefService.setComplexValue(gProfile+key.id, Components.interfaces.nsISupportsString, str);
var str = key.pref.join("][");
gPrefService.setStringPref(gProfile+key.id, str);
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

There's a new version on the Dorando Keyconfig github that works with TB 57, but it's broken again in 58. So I'll pass on your changes morat, thanks. It looks like 58 broke many addons. They're working on a fix that, if I'm not mistaken, should make them start working again, though as of today, it doesn't seem to be going all that well:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1414398

I also read that Thunderbird may soon drop support for non-bootstrapped/restartless addons, not sure in which release.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1413432

For me, that's... all of the addons I have, about twenty of them. At the moment I continue to have faith that at least the most important ones will be updated! Or be in denial about it, depending how you look at it.
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

[Edit: Nevermind - Thanks to Jonathan Kamens, a working version of Keyconfig has just been submitted to AMO, and is also available now from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... src=devhub ]

@morat, I applied your changes and tried it out on TB 58.0b1. I had a couple of problems:
- my old key assignments don't show up, it goes back to the default keybindings.
- I can (re)assign keys and it works, but when I restart, they're forgotten, and it goes back to the default.
morat

Post by morat »

@Elhem

Doh. I forgot a change in the keyconfig-service.js file.

Thanks for posting the new version. The developer created his own preferences loader to workaround bug 1413413.
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

The new version of Dorando Keyconfig, working in all versions of Thunderbird (until non-restartless support is dropped), has been approved and is available on AMO. Also, it's no longer marked "experimental", so people searching on "keyboard shortcuts" will actually find it.

No word about R. Kent James' Filtaquilla. You'd think the Chair of the Thunderbird Council would keep his software updated? Maybe he's too busy because, according to him, 59 will be the last release of Thunderbird as we know it. After that it will be completely re-written as a web app or who-knows-what:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... tu8U5UBQAJ

I'm feeling somewhat less optimistic about being able to use my addons - and Thunderbird itself - past next year...
peci1

Post by peci1 »

I fixed FiltaQuilla for Firefox 60: https://github.com/peci1/filtaquilla/releases/tag/1.4.0 . I've now initiated contact with the addon author to get the addon officially on addons.thunderbird.net .
morat

Post by morat »

@peci1

Well done.

P.S.

I noticed that the menulist[id="window-list"] button fails to open the popup in the keyconfig dialog.

Keyconfig 2018.1
Thunderbird Portable 60.0
Windows 7 SP1 32-bit
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Elhem Enohpi wrote:The new version of Dorando Keyconfig, working in all versions of Thunderbird (until non-restartless support is dropped), has been approved and is available on AMO. Also, it's no longer marked "experimental", so people searching on "keyboard shortcuts" will actually find it.

No word about R. Kent James' Filtaquilla. You'd think the Chair of the Thunderbird Council would keep his software updated? Maybe he's too busy because, according to him, 59 will be the last release of Thunderbird as we know it. After that it will be completely re-written as a web app or who-knows-what:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... tu8U5UBQAJ
That well reasoned prediction posted in https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... tu8U5UBQAJ regarding 59 and beyond was a) 8 months prior to your posting in December, b) didn't quite come true - because many add-ons in their present form will still work unchanged (just needing a version bump) or just need modest changes. And c) Kent's has essentially retired from programming (at least for now) and taking a well deserved rest. But he is open to having his software adopted and updated, as in the case of filtaqilla mentioned here.
Elhem Enohpi wrote:I'm feeling somewhat less optimistic about being able to use my addons - and Thunderbird itself - past next year...
As of today, well over 50% of the top 40 addons at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... sort=users are compatible with version 60 (after removing ~5-6 which are no longer applicable to the platform). That's pretty remarkable IMO. But more add-on authors must be actively encouraged by everyone in the community (you and me), to update their add-ons. I personally have attempted to contact at least 10 - at least two have updated their add-ons as a result.

Most that have not been updated have only ~30k users, and long ago abandoned by their authors, well before version 60. For example the author of https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -firewall/ hasn't replied in the support forum since 2014. Some don't even have contact info, for example https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -messages/
Last edited by wsmwk on September 24th, 2018, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Kent and I'm grateful for all the work he's done over the years in support of Thunderbird. That's exactly why I was concerned when it seemed like he just vanished (after predicting the demise of Thunderbird-as-we-know-it), and I didn't know if he'd just given up on the whole project - which would be a bad sign to me - or what. I did try to contact him several times. I hope he's doing ok.

I was also pleasantly surprised when TB 60 and future plans came along. 90% of my addons don't work anymore, but for the most part they were small tweaks that were already abandoned some time ago, and I don't miss them all that much. Filtaquilla is now working, thanks to peci1, though unfortunately Junquilla hasn't been updated and while it mostly works by itself, it prevents Filtaquilla from working. But even without addons at all, I'd still use Thunderbird. I'm glad that I don't have to switch to another email application, I'd be at quite a loss after 23 years of using Netscape/Thunderbird!
peci1

Post by peci1 »

wsmwk wrote: Kent's has essentially retired from programming (at least for now) and taking a well deserved rest. But he is open to having his software adopted and updated, as in the case of filtaqilla mentioned here.
@wsmwk Do you have any "side-channels" for contacting R. Kent James? I asked him about filtaquilla admin privileges, but he hasn't replied yet (and it's been almost a month).