Thunderbird 64bit + PDFCreator crashing every time

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
user.123

Thunderbird 64bit + PDFCreator crashing every time

Post by user.123 »

Hello everyone,
I've been using PDFCreator and Thunderbird 32bit for a few years with no problem. Last days I switched to 64bit of Thunderbird. Now creating and sending pdf to email client is crashing Thunderbird every time.

My specification:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
Thunderbird 65.0b1 64bit
PDFCreator 3.3.2 Build 3528

I asked for help on PDFCreator forum already. One of user has the same issue.

Here's link to that topic http://forums.pdfforge.org/t/pdfcreator ... time/14821

I'd like to stay with 64bit version of Thunderbird because it's notable faster for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
frg

Re: Thunderbird 64bit + PDFCreator crashing every time

Post by frg »

This was/is probably a long standing bug which was just fixed. Should be in the next 60 if I am not mistaken.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=393302

SeaMonkey had the same problem and is now fixed for 2.53 and up. If it doesn't cause a regression will be in the next 2.49.5 too.
Last edited by frg on January 22nd, 2019, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You are taking two risks - a unsupported 64 bit version and a old beta (its currently 65.0b2). That forum link states "Basically, the log tells us that PDFCreator starts Thunderbird using MAPI."

The 64 bit version didn't support MAPI. I suggest you try the 32 bit version of 60.4 while waiting for 60.6 to be released (bug reports states: Most likely for TB 60.6), and think about do you need the Lightning add-on (its a resource pig). I think 60.5 is due the end of this month.
frg

Post by frg »

Btw. Already in TB 65 beta 3
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

TB 65.0b3 release candidate was tested last week. My 65.0b2 still says it is up to date when doing a Help > About Thunderbird check for updates. :?:

EDIT: This should probably be in Builds :?:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
user.123

Post by user.123 »

tanstaafl wrote:(...) and think about do you need the Lightning add-on (its a resource pig).
I use Lightning indeed. I need calendar in my work. What's the best free alternative calendar? Must be desktop offline (no web based) version.
WaltS48 wrote:TB 65.0b3 release candidate was tested last week. My 65.0b2 still says it is up to date when doing a Help > About Thunderbird check for updates. :?:

EDIT: This should probably be in Builds :?:
It's here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/65.0b3/
frg wrote:Btw. Already in TB 65 beta 3
I tested it. TB don't crash any more, but compose window won't open.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ReminderFox is a good lightweight calendar add-on. However, the authors recently decided that getting it to work with Thunderbird versions later than 65 would require a rewrite, and they don't have the time/resources to do that. I don't know of any other alternatives if you want it to store the calendar on the desktop. The other problem is that the Thunderbird developers keep talking about wanting to integrate Lightning into Thunderbird, rather than just bundling it. One of these days they might do that.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/r ... iFOQbuAwAJ
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Calendars_-_Thunderbird

"EDIT: This should probably be in Builds "
You could make a good argument to move this thread to Thunderbird Builds or to Calendar but I think its better to leave it in Thunderbird Support. Its topic has essentially changed to discussing different ways of making the performance acceptable, while also having a calendar.
frg

Post by frg »

> I tested it. TB don't crash any more, but compose window won't open.

Had a problem with Virtualbox and Windows 7 with SeaMonkey. Wouldn't work with a document from shared folder. There are now some further patches checked in. These might be needed. With a local build including them everything works now with an en_US build. Just using a virtualbox network folder and an unicode document name gives me the same result of not showing the compose window. If in doubt also deinstall Thunderbird and use the full installer. Unzipped installations or a portable version won't work here.
user.123

Post by user.123 »

user.123 wrote:Hello everyone,
I've been using PDFCreator and Thunderbird 32bit for a few years with no problem. Last days I switched to 64bit of Thunderbird. Now creating and sending pdf to email client is crashing Thunderbird every time.
Problem solved with TB 65.0b4.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Thunderbird Builds...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)