67.0b1 can't find existing profile

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
tanstaafl

67.0b1 can't find existing profile

Post by tanstaafl »

I have both Thunderbird version 52.9.1 and 60.6.1 installed, sharing the same profile. I installed the latest beta (67.0b1) and it did not find my existing profile. Instead it created a new profile and ran the new account wizard.

I re-tested using the older versions of Thunderbrid and they did not have a problem finding and using the original profile. I then edited the shortcut for the beta to specify the original profiles location. It found it and used it. I exited the beta, edited the shortcut to remove the arguments specifying the profiles location and ran the beta again. It didn't use the original profile, and ran the new account wizard again. It is using the same profile (C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ak29d4a7.default-beta) that the beta created the first time I ran it.

Has anybody else run into this problem? I didn't see anything in the release notes that indicated this is a feature. I ran into a similar problem with daily sometime last year, which I reported via a bug report. However, nobody else was able to reproduce it, and the problem disappeared in later versions.

profiles.ini contains:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/w0p7q3aa.default
Default=1

[Profile1]
Name=Test
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/ufg82m3r.Test

[Profile2]
Name=default-beta
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/ak29d4a7.default-beta
WaltS48

Re: 67.0b1 can't find existing profile

Post by WaltS48 »

Probably a result of the change to using dedicated profiles in Firefox starting with version 67.0.

Dedicated profiles

An important change

It appears you found the solution by editing the shortcut to select the profile you want to use.

Edit: Originally slated for Firefox 65 but delayed until version 67.0.

Will dedicated profiles be picked up by Thunderbird?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Re: 67.0b1 can't find existing profile

Post by tanstaafl »