Second account

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
BruceAWittmeier

Second account

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I manage a calendar for a Virginia business.

I'm trying to create a second account at home on Thunderbird but after submittal I get an error.

I know the email address is valid as I have received mail to it.

For the email address at top I used the email address I want to create. Should I be using my own existing?

It is for a .org business if that matters.

I'm using Thunderbird 90.0b1

Edit: I should have included the error:
Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
LIMPET235

Re: Second account

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thunderbird version 90.0b1?

Moving this to the Builds forum...

Latest Release is v78.0.x
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That error message just means that you need to enter the account settings yourself in the manual configuration section because it can't find the information in the Mozilla ISP database. The company probably never submitted any data, especially if its not a very large company. Same problem occurs for hosting providers such as Dreamhost and Gator.

The new account wizard expects a unique combination of the account type (POP/IMAP), mail server name, and email address for each account. Is your second account unique?

Nothing you mentioned seems like its a problem specific to the beta. You just gave up too soon.
BruceAWittmeier

The business does not have a specific dedicated email server.
They tell me when you want to redirect email to another account:
1. create the account (which I have done) on gmail
2. they will put an entry into a table/file to point to the new email address
Then I can access it through the new email address configured in Thunderbird

The account is created in gmail -- I have verified that.

Now I have a residual account created prior to the "real" gmail account from my efforts that I am unable to get rid of. The menu pic to Set as default & Remove account are grayed out.

3 email addresses are bold -- me the default, the newly created email address and Outgoing Server smtp.

Thoughts on this?
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"The business does not have a specific dedicated email server."

I think you mean they have a mail server that works just as a email forwarding service.

I assume they're redirecting the mail to your gmail address. If so you need to specify the gmail server in the Thunderbird account. You might want to create a multiple identity for the gmail account so that you can use a From: address for the fixed email address they created for you. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite ... il_Aliases

"3 email addresses are bold -- me the default, the newly created email address and Outgoing Server smtp."

A smtp server does not have its own account. Mail accounts are for either POP or IMAP servers. They are configured to use one of the smtp servers. It doesn't have to be the one created for that account.

As a sanity check look in the mail & news accounts section of help -> troubleshooting information and see what accounts it thinks you have.
BruceAWittmeier

tanstaafl wrote:"The business does not have a specific dedicated email server."

I think you mean they have a mail server that works just as a email forwarding service.
<<< I guess. They forward mail to personal mail accounts from business accounts
I assume they're redirecting the mail to your gmail address. If so you need to specify the gmail server in the Thunderbird account. You might want to create a multiple identity for the gmail account so that you can use a From: address for the fixed email address they created for you. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite ... il_Aliases
I think I understand what you are suggesting. This would prevent my personal email from being displayed?
"3 email addresses are bold -- me the default, the newly created email address and Outgoing Server smtp."

A smtp server does not have its own account. Mail accounts are for either POP or IMAP servers. They are configured to use one of the smtp servers. It doesn't have to be the one created for that account.
<< This happened when I was trying to create the local email address before I created the correct one on gmail.
As a sanity check look in the mail & news accounts section of help -> troubleshooting information and see what accounts it thinks you have.
<< I will look here see what I can learn.

Thanks for taking the time to assist.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"This would prevent my personal email from being displayed?"

Yes.

Unless they look at the raw message source (at headers that are normally not displayed) nobody will know that you are not using the companies fixed email address. If you create the multiple identity it will be used automatically on replies to mail sent to that fixed address. If you compose a new message you need to select the multiple identities email address from the From: drop down list.