Sender/Account name and email address

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
BruceAWittmeier

Sender/Account name and email address

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I suspect there was a change to provide the email address of the main account owner as default.
I do see the "change address..." option and it works fine.
But I would prefer the old way where you enter the first couple letters and the remainder is provided by autofill.
I sometimes send emails for my wife and son (he does not have a PC but cell phone) and having the default to me is incorrect.
Anyway to turn that feature off -- remove the default autofill of the From:?
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Re: Sender/Account name and email address

Post by DanRaisch »

You're posting in the Build forum, Bruce, what version are you running?
BruceAWittmeier

I'm using ver 97.0b9 -- I think it is a "release" version. None match the download selections
Dir candidates/
Dir extensions/
Dir nightly/
Dir releases/ <<<
Dir test/
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:I'm using ver 97.0b9 -- I think it is a "release" version. None match the download selections
Dir candidates/
Dir extensions/
Dir nightly/
Dir releases/ <<<
Dir test/
there is no 97.0b9 of thunderbird,

thunderbird 97.0b3 is the latest

if you want the old back, im assuming there's a about:config pref to get it back, or keep using 91.x esr releases
Last edited by Snake4 on February 4th, 2022, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceAWittmeier

Sorry...97.0b3 -- Oops.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I have four accounts and From addresses.

If I create an email using one of those accounts, that account's default From address is selected, or I can change it just by a left-click in the From field and selecting another.

No idea why you have those "Dir" entries in your list.

Does the contact's email address in the address book point to a location, like Dir candidates/jdoe@example.net?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
BruceAWittmeier

Let me clarify. The dir entries came from the Thunderbird download page. All I was pointing out was the words don't match what this forum expects with naming conventions for the various forum/versions. There is no Thunderbird Builds from the downloads but that is where I thought my post belonged.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The main page at https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ has 91.5.1 . That is a production release and is supposed to be discussed in Thunderbird Support.

Beta (currently 97.0b3) and daily (currently 98.0a1) releases are supposed to be discussed in this forum (Thunderbird Builds). The "Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds" sentence underneath "Thunderbird Builds" if you listed all of the forums, is misleading. We're stuck with it. We'd suggested rewording it years ago and the administrator wasn't interested.
BruceAWittmeier

Thank you, tanstaafl. That confirms what I thought. :)
BruceAWittmeier

What I don't like about the default/change from is the box does not offer a select-able choice after you type a few characters.
Is that a bug or feature to request?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:What I don't like about the default/change from is the box does not offer a select-able choice after you type a few characters.
i dont know, might wanna ask or look in here https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups or read the releaase notes
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:What I don't like about the default/change from is the box does not offer a select-able choice after you type a few characters.
As I pointed out in the reply above, I have selectable choices if I click anywhere in the From field, including the down pointing arrow.

Why do you need to type in the From field when it is automatically filled in with the address of the account you are composing with?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
BruceAWittmeier

If I send an email for another family member I don't want it to go as mine. It is rare but recently has been frequent. My son doesn't have a PC but needed to send some medical docs to his employer. I sent them for him but would have liked to have (gmail account used with his cell phone for small communications) his name rather than mine.

If you add an account to your system don't you get that email also? I don't want to do that in all cases.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Select "Customize From Address" at the bottom of the list box for the From: address. You select the list box using the small down arrow to the right of the displayed From: address in the compose message window. When you edit it you could either keep the existing email address and edit just the displayed name, or edit both.

If he needs to do it frequently add a "multiple identity" for the account that he can select in the From: list box. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account
BruceAWittmeier

tanstaafl -- yes, this is what I will likely end up doing -- its usually not much but I was hoping it would use my address book and display matches.
Thanks to all.