Thunderbird 99 beta - please test

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
wsmwk

Thunderbird 99 beta - please test

Post by wsmwk »

Thunderbird 99 is a major milestone in the road to the next esr version - it replaces ical parser and pop3 legacy c++ code with shiny new js code.

Please join other beta users in testing and reporting any bugs encountered.

Download

Release Notes
WaltS48

Re: Thunderbird 99 beta - please test

Post by WaltS48 »

Thunderbird 98.0b3 crashed on me when I updated on Fedora 35 Linux from my production 98.0b3 to 99.0b1 after clicking the restart button in Help > About.

Crash ID.

That did not happen when testing the candidate.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Right clicking to "move to folder xyz again" did not work the first try. It popped up a long menu with lots of items. I did it again immediately after, and it worked as expected.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Here's what "Error Console" shows:
1647038932380 addons.xpi WARN Checking C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\distribution\extensions for addons
This page is in Quirks Mode. Page layout may be impacted. For Standards Mode use “<!DOCTYPE html>”.
hiddenWindow.html
Trying to load C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\libotr.dll OTRLib.jsm:64:11
Successfully loaded OTR library C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\libotr.dll OTRLib.jsm:72:13
Successfully loaded OpenPGP library rnp.dll version 0.16+git20220124.f06439f7.MZLA from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\rnp.dll RNPLib.jsm:100:15
Found 0 public keys and 0 secret keys (0 protected, 0 unprotected) RNPLib.jsm:302:15
services.settings: Failed to load last_modified.json: TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource. Utils.jsm:231
tb.account.size_on_disk - Truncating float/double number. 2
services.settings: thunderbird/hijack-blocklists has signature disabled
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Themes don't work correctly in 99.0b1 (64-bit). I'm sharing a profile with the production release (91.7.0) which displays a light theme with a autumn path persona enabled. The beta always switches to the dark theme . If I switch it to the light theme and enable the autumn persona it uses the dark theme with the autumn persona.

On the other hand I had no problem installing and using Monterail Dark 2 for TB>68 3.3 (a complete theme implemented as an extension). It seems fine.

I have offline folders disabled and deleted the 115MB of mbox files in my main account (Fastmail IMAP). Even after exiting and restarting it insists there is 119MB of files in that account. All it has is *.msf files and child directories. However further testing shows 91.7.0 has the same bug.

Compact headers, ImportExportTools NG and TbSync are incompatible. It uses a ugly yellow background for the error message.

tools -> add-ons & themes -> recommendations recommends tbsync even though its incompatible.

The bug where it doesn't remember what to use to open an attachment initially seemed unfixed but it now remembers how to open .zip, .docx, .pptx, .xlsx, .pdf , .eml , .txt and .jpeg files if I click the checkbox. The open attachment popup omits the "do this automatically for files like this from now on" checkbox for a .rar file attachment.

The switch to a calendar and switch to a tasks tab icons are gone. I don't seem to have any way to open the calendar unless I customize the toolbar.

I searched for cardbook from tools -> add-ons & themes and it listed it as a featured add-on (and implied it was compatible with that version). However when I tried to install it Thunderbird complained "the add-on could not be installed because it doesn't match the add-on Thunderbird expected". I don't think I've seen that error message before, usually it complains about the version if it won't install.

The user agent string says "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/99.0" though I'm using Windows 11 Pro. However, http://browserspy.dk/ reports Firefox also claims to be Windows NT 10.0 so that is to be expected. Would be nice though if it was correct.

tools -> export created a Thunderbird_profile_backup.zip file and was smart enough to omit the parent.lock file. At first glance it looks okay but file explorer claims the profile has 85.1 MB (89,313,280 bytes) while the extracted contents of the 76.061KB .zip file is only 76.4 MB (80,171,008 bytes) . Something is not right. I'll have to figure out what it omitted.

I'll check bugzilla and submit bug reports (if they're not already reported) later today.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

tanstaafl wrote:
The switch to a calendar and switch to a tasks tab icons are gone. I don't seem to have any way to open the calendar unless I customize the toolbar.
I take it you don't have the Spaces Toolbar enabled.

It is the new location for those icons and has Address book, Chat, Mail tab and Settings icons as well.

There should be a >| icon in the Status Bar just to the left of the Offline icon, or you can use View > Toolbars to show it.

Customizable with colors in the Daily. =D>
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Forgot about that. I disabled it because it was supposed to be optional and it seemed a waste of space. Thanks.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tanstaafl wrote:Themes don't work correctly in 99.0b1 (64-bit). I'm sharing a profile with the production release (91.7.0) which displays a light theme with a autumn path persona enabled. The beta always switches to the dark theme . If I switch it to the light theme and enable the autumn persona it uses the dark theme with the autumn persona.
Bug reports in Thunderbird themes is very agressively triaged. So if you file bug reports in that component then we normally see quick turnaround.
tanstaafl wrote:I'll check bugzilla and submit bug reports (if they're not already reported) later today.
Thanks. Doing that is very much appreciated.

I don't see any new bug reports from you - were all your issues covered in existing bug reports?