Thunderbird 1.5 Release Candidate 2 *Test* Builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

quiddity wrote:
NickJH wrote:My wife often, but not always, gets problems trying to paste images (normally clip art from MS Word) into mail messages. Often, when there is something in the clipboard viewer, no paste option is enabled in TB. Sometimes when the paste operation is disabled, she can succeed with the ctrl+v shortcut. This has gone on for quite a long time now. Is it a known bug?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051201 Thunderbird/1.5 ID:2005120115

i have exactly the same bug, when pasting normal text.
i frequently find when i'm trying to paste clipboard text using the rightmouse context menu, or the edit dropdown menu, that "paste" is greyed out, BUT "paste as quotation" is always available.
ctrl-v to paste always works normally.

REPRODUCABLE: always. (i just figured it out, it was happening seemingly erratically). the "paste" menu option is unavailable within thunderbird messages from first starting the app, until i have copied something to clipboard from within a compose window. thereafter it works as normal for all new messages.

i'll repeat NickJH's question, Is this a known bug? it seems quite serious.

occurs with both thunderbird1.5 rc1 and rc2
win98, clean install
extensions: conquery, optimoz gestures, allow empty subject.

(side note: "paste without formatting" never seems to be available. is this only for people who write html emails?)

@quiddity,
If you can reproduce it and there has been no response in this thread, can you file a bug?
cupton

Post by cupton »

On the Mac in OSX 10.4.3, the paste in a new message does not work at all! You take a screenshot (or any other image on your clipboard) and try and paste into the new message window and nothing happens. No placeholder or anything. The paste items in the Edit menu aren't even greyed out, so it looks like it "should" work.
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

Is anyone else seeing this?

Run Thunderbird, and before doing anything else, click the dropdown arrow on "Get Messages" - in build 20051214 (Linux), TB immediately crashes with no talkback spawned. Clicking anything else (such as on a folder, or even the "Get Messages" button itself) prevents this from happening on subsequent attempts.

I'm going to download today's build when it releases and give it a try, but I saw this on several builds prior to 1214.

RW
jim.clark

Post by jim.clark »

Using the release above (20051201) the bug 308311 (which I came across in TB1.5 (20051025) seems to have dissapeared! Standard install using the installer above on XP Pro SP2 I've been able to change the local folders mail store directory to an alternative and back again with no problems encountered.
Cheers Guys, have a good xmas and a happy new year!!!

Jim
Leib Moscovitz

Post by Leib Moscovitz »

I'm using TB, RC 2, under Win XP, SP2. When I detach files from messages, these attached files are saved, but evidently not deleted from the messages.
Leib Moscovitz
Leib Moscovitz

Post by Leib Moscovitz »

Addendum to the previous bug: when I try to delete the attachments from such messages (after having detached them), Thunderbird crashes completely, and hence I am unable to delete the attachments.
Leib Moscovitz
greyked

Post by greyked »

Since I installed Thunderbird 1.5 RC2 I noticed a minor and a major problem.
I run on Windows XP Professional fully updated, Dutch language version. Thunderbird has 3 extensions: Talkback 1.5, Image Zoom 0.2.1, and the now disfunctional Mozilla Calendar 0.8.3+

The minor problem is that incoming mail is not always accompanied by sound. On the other hand RSS feeds now systematically are accompanied by sound when new entries have arrived.

The major problem is that Thunderbird sometimes closes late, or not at all after exiting the program. On more than one occasion I had Windows XP have to kill Thunderbird before it would let me shut the computer down.
raananb

Post by raananb »

Neil Parks wrote:version 1.5 (20051201)

I received an email with a zip attachment. The zip file was very small--less than 5000 bytes. It contained 3 printable ASCII text files stored uncompressed.

I was unable to open the attachment. I saved it and tried to open it with 2 different unzipping programs, and I could not do it.

I closed Tbird and viewed the SAME EMAIL with Pegasus. I again tried to open the attachment and succeeded. I saved the zip to disk, and the same 2 unzipping programs had no trouble unzipping it.

The 2 saved files are different. The zip file as saved from Tbird is 2 bytes smaller than the one saved from Pegasus (4981 bytes sted 4983).

I repeated the process several times with both email clients. Same results every time.

version 1.5 (20051222)

Had this problem with forwarded messages on POP3.

The work around is to set View/Display Attachments Inline.

See bug #273349.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Raananb, the problem described in that bug is NOT the same as my problem with Tbird corrupting the zip. But I do have View/Disp Attach Inline turned on.