An explanation about versions and builds for testing...

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
rsx11m

Re: An explanation about versions and builds for testing...

Post by rsx11m »

Anonymosity wrote:Why is nobody saying anything about Thunderbird 3.0pre? That is the only pre-release version I could find in British English.

Because there is no Thunderbird 3.0pre (it's not a release, just the nightly builds have a "pre" after the version, and those are not called Thunderbird to avoid any mixup). The Shredder 3.0pre builds are included three posts up.

Assuming that the first release candidate will come out very soon now, this will be called Thunderbird 3.0 (without pre) already as this exact build may become the final release if no more work is needed requiring a second release candidate.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

So the beta versions are actually releases? Why are none of them available with British English?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, beta versions are test releases, just not stable versions. Which locales are provided depends on whether or not the respective localizers have opted in for a specific release. Some translations were available in some alpha or beta versions but not in others. Since there is more time between the string freeze and the final release, all locales should be available for the final version (and according to the shipped-locales list, en-GB is available for 3.0RC1 and thus for the final release).
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Yes, I have v. 3.0 RC1 now and it is working fine.
MandeaSaracu

Post by MandeaSaracu »

From where did you download the RC1? On http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/ I see only up to 3b4.
rjohnson19

Post by rjohnson19 »

MandeaSaracu wrote:From where did you download the RC1? On http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/ I see only up to 3b4.

RC1 is not officially out yet. There is a candidate build for it but it is for testing only; there may be another build of it before they officially release RC1.
MandeaSaracu

Post by MandeaSaracu »

Anonymosity wrote:Yes, I have v. 3.0 RC1 now and it is working fine.

Then where from did that guy get his version? I also want it for testing...

LE. Never mind. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... andidates/
Got it. Thank you.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Note that 3.0 RC1 hasn't officially been released yet, it's still in the QA phase. You should find it in the "releases" section of the server once it is intended for the public.

See this newsgroup thread for details.

Edit: It was also announced today that a 2nd build for RC1 will be necessary (same newsgroup).
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Kerrith,

I split off your question. Please continue at your thread here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1595945
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Kerrith

Post by Kerrith »

Thanks LoudNoise,

Kerry
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Update for download locations of nightly builds:

Now that Thunderbird 3.0 has been released, the following new links should be used for the nightly downloads:

Sylph

Post by Sylph »

Is there a guide similar to the one in Firefox Builds on how to properly install the builds in parallel with the normal TB?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_pre-release_versions for some hints (actually, independent of the application). You can either pick a different installation directory when using the installer, or just take the ZIP version (for Windows in the "unsigned" directory of the candidate builds) and put it anywhere you like. It's important to keep separate profiles for your regular work and for testing; mixing different versions in the same profile seems to work, but you are on the safer side separating them and add the profile name to the shortcut.
Sylph

Post by Sylph »

Thaaank you! :D