Thunderbird 2 Alpha Now Available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

I have noticed a small esthetic problem with the Update function in 2.0a1. It happens whether I request an update via the Help menu, or the update is offered automatically. I don't recall seeing it happen with any previous version of Tbird or Firefox.

After the update finishes downloading, I click on "Restart Tbird Now". The main Tbird window closes quickly, as it should, but the smaller update window with the "Restart" button remains on the screen for several seconds, with the "Restart" button remaining highlighted.

I think the small window should pop down right away just as the main window does, so that the user will be sure the click action was successful.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Just got the auto update to Aug 18, and was surprised to see a new theme. I guess after awhile I'll get used to it.
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

New toolbar buttons have different heights!? (Have a look at Print and Mark)
Thunderbird Mail DE: http://www.thunderbird-mail.de
Enigmail OpenPGP [de]: http://enigmail.thunderbird-mail.de/
weezo

filter on tags

Post by weezo »

Will the final TB 2.0 enable message filtering based on tags? I didn't find out how to dit in the alpha.
Thanks!
Dux

Post by Dux »

Found an issue with message tags. I removed all tags set to a specific message. After that I deleted the attachment from the message. When finished all previously set tags for this message came back.
Dux

Win2K, latest nightly
markley268

Post by markley268 »

Neil Parks wrote:Just got the auto update to Aug 18, and was surprised to see a new theme. I guess after awhile I'll get used to it.

You got an 'auto update' from 2.0a1? I haven't gotten anything yet and it's been almost 2 weeks. I'm running the windows version of 2.0a1, if that makes any difference.

Does anybody know when the next alpha or beta of 2.0 will come out? I'm anxious to see the fix for a bug I filed. The 'save image as' context menu option in the preview pane doesn't seem to work in 2.0a1.

I'm also seeing some issues with TB properly parsing my IMAP folder. It seems to 'see' a duplicate mail message every once in a while, and when i delete one of the messages, the other one goes away also, and there remains a message in the listing with no subject. I've also seen quite a number of times where the preview for a particular message doesn't seem to match the message that's selected in the list above.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

markley268 wrote:You got an 'auto update' from 2.0a1? I haven't gotten anything yet and it's been almost 2 weeks. I'm running the windows version of 2.0a1, if that makes any difference.

I use 2.0a1 on 2 machines, one running Win XP Pro and the other Win ME. I have only received the auto update a couple of times.

But you can always move up to the latest nightly by using Help/Check for Updates.
markley268

Post by markley268 »

Neil Parks wrote:But you can always move up to the latest nightly by using Help/Check for Updates.

I even tried that and it didn't seem to work for me. I've downloaded the 8/28 build manually from the ftp site and we'll see if i get any further updates.
Old HardinComp

Post by Old HardinComp »

I've been using the Help/Check for Updates for a couple of weeks and I've been getting nightlies every day. Could you be using the Beta channel perhaps? You may want to try using the <a href="http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/updatechannel/index.html" target="blank">Update Channel Changer</a> to get updates from the Nightly update channel.
Lost User 63019

Thunderbird 2.0 Beta 1 release

Post by Lost User 63019 »

Does anyone knows when Beta 1 is going to be released? There are no threads about progress. Nothing. What's the status?
phoggy

Thunderbird 2 Alpha: SMTP Servers

Post by phoggy »

Hi,

It would be nice if Thunderbird would make it easier to choose from several smtp servers. Now, I have to go to Tools > Account Settings > smtp servers and select one from there. Why not simply allow one to click on the drop-down menu in the "From" field on the compose screen and have that BE the outgoing server for that message ? That's one plus OE has over TB in simplicity.

Scott
Old HardinComp

Post by Old HardinComp »

Actually I just did that very thing. I had to send a message to my boss with the radio station I work with and simply dropped down the list to change from my default SMTP server to the one for the station. A definite case of cake and pie (piece of cake/easy as pie). Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060829 Thunderbird/2.0a1 ID:2006082903
phoggy

Post by phoggy »

HardinComp wrote:Actually I just did that very thing. I had to send a message to my boss with the radio station I work with and simply dropped down the list to change from my default SMTP server to the one for the station. A definite case of cake and pie (piece of cake/easy as pie). Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060829 Thunderbird/2.0a1 ID:2006082903

Wow ! I just tried it again and it worked for me, too ! It didn't this morning (and I didn't alter anything in the smtp settings between then and now). Hmmmm....

Thanks for letting me know it worked for you ! I wouldn't have re-tried it otherwise ! (I hope things continue to work this way...)

Scott
phoggy

More Colors

Post by phoggy »

P.S.

I would also like to have more options for the background color of the "read" window. Like the options found in the window in Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Color > Other (in Windows ME, anyway).

I can't read against a white background (like reading the print on a flourescent light bulb !), and the other "light" colors they give you (gray, yellow, pink, light blue, etc.) are a bit too "strong" for me. I'd like something in-between.

Spoiled Scott :-)
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

I received an automatic update to the Aug 30 release of 2.0a1, and with it I received a very unpleasant surprise.

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 01#2461401 for details.