Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
heavensblade23

Post by heavensblade23 »

I definitely want to see the return of the ability to set a certain addressbook as a whitelist for remote images. I don't know why it was removed for 2.0.
mavery81230

Junk mail handling woes

Post by mavery81230 »

coch wrote:
Good experience so far with TB 2.0b1, except that new mail marked as junk (either automatically or manually) is not moved to the junk folder on my local folder, even though the setting is set correctly to move junk mail to the junk folder. Is there a hidden pref I need to set?

I have to second Coch's comments. I have 4 accounts I use with TB 2.0b1, and what's worse is they all handle junk mail differently, even though each account is setup the same. I set each account so that mail from people in my personal address book will be honored, junk mail will be moved to the junk folder of that account, junk mail will be retained for 14 days, and adaptive mail processing is enabled.

On my main account, junk mail is usually marked as junk and moved to the junk mail folder. However, sometimes the mail is marked as junk but not moved to the junk mail folder. If I un-mark the mail as junk and then re-mark it as junk, then it gets moved.

On another account, the mail is moved to the junk mail folder, but it is not marked as junk in the folder.

All in all, this has me talking to myself.... if anyone has suggestions of setting changes or debugging steps, I'd be delighted to hear them.

Mike
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Hi,

After using TB 2.0 B1 (Windows XP) for a while now, I have verified the program files location, and seen that the program is in a folder in Program files->Mozilla Thunderbird Beta1, and the previous version (TB 1.5) is in its own folder (Program files->Mozilla Thunderbird) When trying to unistall the previous version with the uninstall feature, a popup confirmation message appears, informing that the B1 version was going to be uninstalled. What should I do to get rid of the previous versions program files ? (profile data are already in different directory)

Thanks in advance

Al_H
sirrahn

Post by sirrahn »

Hi,

Thunderbird 2 is great, but I have a couple of suggestion that might not have been mentioned.

1) is that the ability to delete & detach attachments is fantastic - but it would be much more useful if more information was provided after deletion has occurred. I.e. I think the attachments section should display the location of where the attachment has been saved & this path could be highlighted as a link to allow the attachment to be easily opened at a later date. (the path might even want to include the computers name in case people are working across multiple computers).

2) I'd really like to option of not allowing any emails to be read without entering the password. The vast majority of emails that I'd rather others didn't read have already been downloaded and most email programs provide no security for these emails, which seems like a real oversight. I know they could be left on the server but that's not always convenient.

3) this might be an idea for an extension. Sometimes it would be great to have the first couple of lines of an email pop up in a window, when an email arrives, with the ability to immediately delete them. I, and I imagine many other people, get so much administrative junk while working on other programs that it would be nice to be able to immediately trash mails without even having to open the mail 'window' and sometimes a bit more that the subject is necessary.

Great work,

sirrahn
mscott

Post by mscott »

sirrahn wrote:2) I'd really like to option of not allowing any emails to be read without entering the password. The vast majority of emails that I'd rather others didn't read have already been downloaded and most email programs provide no security for these emails, which seems like a real oversight. I know they could be left on the server but that's not always convenient.

Does this do what you want:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderb ... appassword
Thunderbirds are Go!
sbt

Post by sbt »

mm.. tags "vs" labels. i wonder if filters could shorthand sum of tags, much as can sum bit settings. (110 = 3, 101=6, or whatever.. do i have the left-to-right backwards? :-) )
but having each label and tag make sense with text characters would be work for an anagram freak i think.
pja

Post by pja »

feedback based on continuous use for the last few weeks.
(version 2 beta 1 (20061206) on Ubuntu Breezy!)

Tags:
- Occasionally as I read messages they become automatically tagged with a random tag irrespective of if they have been previously tagged or not. To cure this I have to restart TB.
- Where is Edit Tag?

New Folder functionality:
- Recent et al are great but ideally I'd like them in the same pane e.g. option to have my favs at the top of the list of all folders.

CPU usage:
- After TB has been running for a while (>1 day) the CPU usage starts to increase to the point where it is constantly at 25% of CPU. The cure is to restart TB.

General:
- TB has been very stable and I use for work all day everyday.
- New theme is great
mscott

Post by mscott »

thanks for the feedback pja.

We think we fixed the cpu issue you were seeing for beta 2.

Edit Tag is located in preferences: tools / Options / Display / Tags

I think there's an extension that lets you put recent / favorites in the same pane as your complete folder list.
Thunderbirds are Go!
sirrahn

Post by sirrahn »

mscott wrote:
sirrahn wrote:2) I'd really like to option of not allowing any emails to be read without entering the password. The vast majority of emails that I'd rather others didn't read have already been downloaded and most email programs provide no security for these emails, which seems like a real oversight. I know they could be left on the server but that's not always convenient.

Does this do what you want:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderb ... appassword

Hi, it sounds like it does exactly what I want - thanks. I guess my suggestion would be that it's implemented as a preference in the gui - less advanced section!

Actually I've just tried the tip and the behavior is a little strange in 2(beta 1). It asks for a password when you click on a mailbox. If cancel is chosen instead of a password entered then all that happens is that the pointer becomes the clock (?) indicating that the program is doing something - which of course it isn't. Maybe a message and blank message pane would be better?

Anyway, thunderbird 2 is looking great.
mscott

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Post by mscott »

fugi wrote:
mscott wrote:Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 is Now Available!

<li>Session History Navigation (back / forwards)

I think that since you decided to implement such a useful feature,
the two relative buttons should be placed on the main toolbar by default.
Such features should be visible at once for the user who just switches to TB,
rather than searching for them in the customize dialog.

Especially now that the main toolbar has plenty of empty room for another 6-7 buttons

I filed Bug #366501 to track this request.
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

andbe611 wrote:Running the 20061206 Beta 1 on Mac OS X 10.4.8
Saved search with foreign characters created on an IMAP account doesn't work.

* Create a saved search and name it "Inbox-å"
* Save the saved search on an IMAP account
The folder is there and works as long as you don't restart Thunderbird.
In the profile folder there are Inbox-&AOU-.msf and Inbox-&AOU-.sbd

* Restart Thunderbird
Now the saved search is gone and in my profile there is a new folder Inbox-&-AOU-.sbd, the other two folders are still there (Inbox-&AOU-.msf and Inbox-&AOU-.sbd)

This is all described in bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=302470

I made this a blocker and put a fix in the bug, should be fixed for beta 2. thanks for reminding us that this bug was out there!
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

Omega X wrote:1. Thunderbird BETA 1 has no Idea how to parse OPML files correctly. I tried it with both Sage in Firefox and Google's online reader. Both parse the OPML and correctly reads the folders and entries correctly. Thunderbird 1.5 did this correctly also. (Hell, I was even surprised that IE7 got it right)

Do you have an example OPML file you can send me to try to test against?
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

Neff wrote:Filter problems...
I have a filter set on one account that uses the local folders.
The filter is set to
1. Move the mail to a specific folder in the local folders
2. Add a star
3. Add a tag

It only adds the start.. however if I set the filter to
1. Move the mail to a specific folder in the local folders
2. Add a tag
3. Add a star

It only adds the tag. It appears to be doing only the first of the subsequent actions.

I was able to reproduce something similar using an imap filter that moved a message to a local folder. I filed Bug 366508 on your behalf to track this. Thanks!
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Re: Reply to all shortcut

Post by mscott »

aferrante wrote:I would like to report a small problem with TB 2.0b1 (under Fedora Core Linux 6). The keyboard shortcut for "Reply to all" (CTRL+SHIFT+R) seems not to work. When utilized TB just does a normal "Reply". Selecting "Reply to all" from the menu works correctly.

Bye,
Alberto

I filed Bug #366510 to track this. Do other folks on Linux see this problem too?
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

mscott wrote:
andbe611 wrote:Running the 20061206 Beta 1 on Mac OS X 10.4.8
Saved search with foreign characters created on an IMAP account doesn't work.

* Create a saved search and name it "Inbox-å"
* Save the saved search on an IMAP account
The folder is there and works as long as you don't restart Thunderbird.
In the profile folder there are Inbox-&AOU-.msf and Inbox-&AOU-.sbd

* Restart Thunderbird
Now the saved search is gone and in my profile there is a new folder Inbox-&-AOU-.sbd, the other two folders are still there (Inbox-&AOU-.msf and Inbox-&AOU-.sbd)

This is all described in bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=302470

I made this a blocker and put a fix in the bug, should be fixed for beta 2. thanks for reminding us that this bug was out there!

I just checked in a fix for this, would be great if you could help verify it in tomorrow's branch nightly.
Thunderbirds are Go!