Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
rodness

Post by rodness »

Scott,

Do you happen to have any estimated dates for beta2 and 2.0 releases?

-r
mscott

Re: Mac User's Experiences with Tagging

Post by mscott »

sciemom wrote:1. The Preferences>Display>Tag tab only displays the first 10 tags making it impossible to do any editing of the remainder of the tags. Given that a tag list may become quite long, it is critical to be able to delete tags you don't want and to be able to edit the text (e.g. to correct typos). Is there a work around such as editing a file that will help with this until the UI is fixed?

I think you are running into Bug #365234 which is now fixed in the upcoming beta 2 release. Can you re-test in a branch nightly or re-test when beta 2 comes out?

-Scott
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

rodness wrote:Scott,

Do you happen to have any estimated dates for beta2 and 2.0 releases?

-r

beta 2 should be out in the next few weeks. Not sure about 2.0 final yet Rod.
Thunderbirds are Go!
rodness

Post by rodness »

ty :)
auroramae

Post by auroramae »

I have installed and cannot seem to get the junk filters to work.
They are enabled in the options and account settings.
Junk flags appeared the very first time I opened it and I marked a few emails as "not junk" and now NO emails are flagged.
What am I doing wrong?
This wasn't an issue in my previous version of Tbird.
rfsmit

Focus-stealing, uninformative dialogs

Post by rfsmit »

I'm using TB2beta1 and enjoying the improvements over v1.5, aside from two long-standing issues.

1. Dialogs keep stealing focus. When our connection is slow, this becomes a real problem: I'll have sent an email a few minutes ago, and while I'm typing another letter, a dialog pops up, probably to inform me that a copy couldn't be saved in the Sent box. But I'll never know because I just happened to hit Space or Return at that point...

I've recently introduced TB 1.5 to non-technical colleagues, and this is their major complaint after using Eudora. (They still call email "my Eudora".) It's not a whine, it's a real interruption to email workflow.

Can this be solved by gathering all messages into a persistent message area or two? Maybe one for problems and another (hidable) for activity. Mac Mail and (ack) Eudora both do this extremely well. Not being able to save a message to Sent, not being able to connect to a server, etc. isn't so vastly important that the program must inform me Right Now. I can discover this for myself some time later with less intrusive indicators.

Being unable to save a draft on the server is a problem, but it could be cached locally until a connection can be made; especially if offline folders are in use. (I realise this is another issue!)

2. Dialogs provide wrong information. This is less of an issue, but when it's obviously attaching files, TB will say "sending authenticate login information". Also, when attaching several files, TB 'sticks' on the first.

I regularly forward junk to KnujOn, and some kind of progress through the hundreds of attached emails would be helpful!

Thanks for all the work so far!
karenalpert

SMTP Issue

Post by karenalpert »

I've just downloaded TB 2 beta 1 (20061206). I'm having difficulty switching SMTPs (moving my laptop from work to home). I've tried Buttons! and SmtpSelect -- they change the default SMTP fine, but when I send a message it always tries to use the work SMTP (even though the Home SMTP is the default) unless I delete the unwanted SMTP and leave the home (ISP) SMTP as the only one available. I saw a discussion of this problem under version 1.5.x -- it said that each incoming account had an SMTP associated with it and that you had to change the association as well as the default -- but I can't find that association in version 2 (the account setup seems to have changed, but I didn't really use TB1.5, so I'm not clear on the differences).

--Karen
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Under Tools>Account Settings click on the account name. Towards the bottom of that page you should see Outgoing Server with a dropdown box. That's where you do this.
karenalpert

Post by karenalpert »

Thanks!
e.to.the.i.pi

Post by e.to.the.i.pi »

Just a confirmation that the New Mail Notification alerts now work on Linux as of the 20070113 nightly build.

Will there be an option to have a tray icon to indicate new mail ? As noted previously, there may be situations where the user is not at the computer when the New Mail Notification alert is shown. A tray icon that persists until clicked might be useful. Forgive me if this is already the case, but there is no Linux implementation.

-Tim
ChrisI

Re: Newsgroup message bug?

Post by ChrisI »

Tony Raven wrote:I'm finding when I go to a newsgroup and the headers are downloaded, often the body is not accessible from the headers until you click on another folder and then return to the newsgroup.
I'm getting this very often. Anybody have a bug number?
ThorstenW

Re: Newsgroup message bug?

Post by ThorstenW »

ChrisI wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:I'm finding when I go to a newsgroup and the headers are downloaded, often the body is not accessible from the headers until you click on another folder and then return to the newsgroup.
I'm getting this very often. Anybody have a bug number?

Happens to me as well (not always - and I don't have a clue by what this behaviour is triggered...). I wonder, if it is related to Bug 307372?

Thorsten
mkmelin

Post by mkmelin »

The news body sometimes refusing to show might be bug 365016, though I haven't seen it lately. There have been a lot of good fixes for newsgroups since b1, so this may be working now.
nth10sd

Post by nth10sd »

I have updated the final 2.0 Beta 1 changelog over @ The Rumbling Edge. Sorry for the delay!

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumbling ... beta1.html
tlyczko

Post by tlyczko »

If possible, please set up TB 2.x such that upon clicking Reply or Forward or Reply All, the original message window is closed.
Many people converting to TB from Outlook or OE are accustomed to this behavior, and for open source software to behave differently only hinders TB's adoption rate.
Along the same line, Previous and Next should *automatically* to the immediately preceding or succeeding message *regardless* of unread or not. People should not have to download/install an extension for this extremely normal expectation.
Again, another flaw of open source software, it does things too differently, and this hinders widespread adoption, for many people will not want to re-learn things, etc.
The only reason I run TB is because it runs on Vista, and I can keep all the email accounts connected to one Windows user account, which is not possible with Windows Mail.
TB will have wider adoption the more it behaves the way normal non-geek people expect it to behave, not how the developers or geeks want it to behave.
Thanks, Tom
P.S. I work in IT, so I see a lot of 'normal people' expectations.
commuting an hour each way to work in upstate new york :)