2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
jmontana

Post by jmontana »

Kylotan wrote:Nope. I could have 2 accounts, 1 of which checked the email before a certain date, and 1 of which checks the account now. You can also have many email addresses being redirected to a single POP account. Email addresses and POP accounts don't have a 1:1 correlation.

Ah. That is a problem, definitely. Perhaps Junk mail could store the account it came from as meta data?
old Neil Parks

Regression in March 12 weekly build

Post by old Neil Parks »

(I am withdrawing this post and will resubmit revised version under Tbird Bugs.)
Last edited by old Neil Parks on March 22nd, 2004, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

sasquatch wrote:I can't believe that it would get confused if you mark and then re-mark them. Isn't it flagged one of two ways, either junk or not junk? I don't see where any "confusion" would come from.

The flagging is just the user-friendly way Thunderbird tells you which category it thinks the message fits into based on statistical analysis.
Bayesian filters work by giving individual words a score for each category (in Thunderbird's case, junk and not-junk). Thunderbird calculates the probability that a message fits into a category based on the scores for each word it contains. When you mark a mail either way, you affect the scores for all the words in that message. So when you mark a message as junk, the junk score for each word is increased. When you then mark it as not-junk, the not-junk scores are increased. If you do this a few times you will reduce the effectiveness of the filter, because the scores are no longer an accurate representation of the spam/not spam probability.
Basically, flagging isn't the simple on/off switch that it appears to be.
(For people with a more technical understanding of exactly how it works, I apologise if I've used bad terminology here!)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
netnichols

Post by netnichols »

I'm seeing the exact same behaviour as Michael Buschbeck.

I too do not use the junk mail controls, do my sorting on the server (procmail+courier), and use multiple instances of Thunderbird at different locations.

New mail notification has never been perfect, but in .5 it was working for me pretty well. Now I'm seeing all kinds of weird stuff. I just had a notification for over 1000 new mails, when actually I didn't have any.

I think I'm going to fall back to .5 until this gets worked out.
goo0h

Post by goo0h »

netnichols wrote:I'm seeing the exact same behaviour as Michael Buschbeck.

I too do not use the junk mail controls, do my sorting on the server (procmail+courier), and use multiple instances of Thunderbird at different locations.

New mail notification has never been perfect, but in .5 it was working for me pretty well. Now I'm seeing all kinds of weird stuff. I just had a notification for over 1000 new mails, when actually I didn't have any.

I'm seeing the same thing too. I'm using sieve+cyrus, but the result is the same. I've also got quite a few shared folders that I have told Tbird to check for new mail. Sometimes folders listed before one that got new mail also show up as having new mail, with the same message count. Sometimes the new mail count goes to "???". I've even noticed a couple of times that Tbird got sufficiently confused that it ended up re-sucking down all the headers of a folder like it does the first time an IMAP folder is opened. This really became more noticable with the new IDLE support, FWIW.
Alycat

Post by Alycat »

Moonwolf wrote:When you then mark it as not-junk, the not-junk scores are increased
I believed that if an email was already marked as junk and the user marked it as not junk, the scores for each word in the junk section were decreased, rather the non-junk being increased
djbrock

Post by djbrock »

Uggi,

I have 1359 Spams archived. I edited my User.js file and moved the adaptive filter setting down from 90 all the way to 10 by increments of 10 to see what it took to get rid of all my junk mails. I finally settled on 60, which got all but 138 of my Spams and didn't misidentify stuff I had in my Inbox. That's around a 10% error rate, which is really pretty good. FYI.
uggi

Post by uggi »

djbrock wrote:I have 1359 Spams archived. I edited my User.js file and moved the adaptive filter setting down from 90 all the way to 10 by increments of 10 to see what it took to get rid of all my junk mails.

How did you actually test it, I thought you were not supposed to "Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder" more than once.
jmontana

Post by jmontana »

Kylotan wrote:I've been seeing that for a long time. It's somewhat annoying as you'd hope junk would be labelled before you go to see what it is.

I think we're talking about <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200788">bug 200788</a>. Any chance this might get fixed in the near future? I've voted for it, and I suggest anyone who wants this fixed should do so as well.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I did a new post for this, but it probably should go in here.

here it is:
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040312) build.

When I turn on View:Messages:Unread, I'm quite sure it was for each individual folder.

Now, it does this for all folders at once. I thought there were display problems, then it dawned on me what was going on.

Any ideas? Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Which reminds me, we are about due for the "weekly build"!
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Which also reminds me to ask:

Is this 3-12 "weekly build" and the "installer build" the same code other than the installer?

Will today's "weekly build" be a combination of the current code and the installer?

Thanks.
xerox1101

Post by xerox1101 »

goo0h wrote:I'm seeing the same thing too. I'm using sieve+cyrus, but the result is the same. I've also got quite a few shared folders that I have told Tbird to check for new mail. Sometimes folders listed before one that got new mail also show up as having new mail, with the same message count. Sometimes the new mail count goes to "???". I've even noticed a couple of times that Tbird got sufficiently confused that it ended up re-sucking down all the headers of a folder like it does the first time an IMAP folder is opened. This really became more noticable with the new IDLE support, FWIW.

I'm having similar IMAP problems, also sometimes when I load thunderbird one of my folders will not show up. After a restart it generally comes back and has to re-download all message headers.
Having my folders not load has never happen until this build with the new IDLE support.
steno

Post by steno »

Same here as xerox1101 and gooOh. And im also on an Cyrus+sieve setup. Very annoying.
Nentuaby

Really annoying problem with junk mail controls

Post by Nentuaby »

The controls are marking EVERYTHING I recieve junk, bar none. This is happening both with a fresh install and with using my existing profile.

Gackt! I'd love to take advantage of these cool new features, but until that's fixed I'm going back to .5 :-(