2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Thodi

Post by Thodi »

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

F8 button and the user agent preference works.

File button still broken, pressing it displays a itty bitty little square at the lower left of the button. The Mark button only effects a selected message. If I chose 'All read' and press the button it only toggles the read status of whatever message I may have selected.

Can't get it to actually use the phoenity theme. Its installed, I can see the buttons in the themes panel in tools->options->themes when I select it, but its never used. Yes, I downloaded the theme to my hard disk first.

The width of the account settings panel is okay/usable, but it still truncates a couple of buttons such as the browser and advanced buttons in server settings. I'm using 1280 x 1024 true color on a 19" CRT if that matters.

I thought I read in a post today that the nightly builds now compact all of the folders in inbox, if you select 'clean up (expunge) on exit' (and use IMAP). Was the poster wrong, or did this break? I have delete set to 'remove immediately'.

I can right click on my imported outlook express address book in the list of address books, choose delete and it will delete it. If I try that with collected addresses it has no effect. The last nightly build I used didn't even enable the delete, so this is progress. The properties for the address books still shows a read-only edit field.

Good build though, these are all little things.
pljones

Post by pljones »

http://ftp35.newaol.com/pub/mozilla.org ... dSetup.exe
Custom Setup, changed installation directory, included offline mode.

Doesn't run for me! :-(
thunderbird.exe wrote:thunderbird.exe - Entry Point Not Found
(X) The procedure entry point _Z11ToLowerCaseR12nsCSubstring could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll

And for symbol _Z12ToNewUnicodeRK9nsAString. T'bird process was left running but with no UI showing.

I'll try installing to the default dir.
<update>
Yes, it's fine if I install to the default dir.
</update>
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

I repeat my question:
How can I determine in the future which build uses the new features if the normal nightly builds don't?
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Read Scott's announcements.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
djbrock

Post by djbrock »

I just have one question for MScott at this point: at what number do you have your adaptive filter in the User.js set? Or do you use that? I want to as closely emmulate what you're doing as I can. Heretofore, I had to go as low as 10 to get the filter to do anything worthwhile.
mscott

Post by mscott »

djbrock wrote:I just have one question for MScott at this point: at what number do you have your adaptive filter in the User.js set? Or do you use that? I want to as closely emmulate what you're doing as I can. Heretofore, I had to go as low as 10 to get the filter to do anything worthwhile.
With a value of 90, I get a score of almost 90% of the spam in the spam assassin public corpus.

How big is your training.dat file?

This build now catches 95% of the spam in the spam assassin public corpus. That's up from ~45% using the old controls.

You should turn on logging for junk mail and look at the scores being generated for messages.

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews ... .html#imap

using nsBayesian:5 as the value for NSPR_LOG_MODULES

That will show you the score being calculated for each message analyzed.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Michael Buschbeck

Post by Michael Buschbeck »

IMAP IDLE seems to work better now :) -- however, I still get occasional spurious "new mail" notifications for folders without any new (unread) mail at all.

I've thought a bit more about it, and I might have some hints as to the cause of this problem.

Firstly, I'm filtering mail server-side into IMAP folders. I have "Check this folder for new messages" checked for almost (!) all of my subscribed folders (with the exception of my spam folder and one mailing list folder which I only occasionally skim over). I don't use Thunderbird's spam filter or any client-side rules.

Secondly, I'm using several distinct installations of Thunderbird on different machines to read the same IMAP accounts -- one on my home desktop computer, one on my notebook and one at work. I believe that the spurious notifications only happen for folders where I previously got (and read) mail in a different Thunderbird installation (i.e. I'm getting false notifications at home for folders in which I got and read new mail at work).

Thirdly -- and that one's surprising me -- the spurious notifications don't seem to coincide with actual new mail coming in on the IMAP server. It has happened several times since I installed build 2004-03-12 that Thunderbird wrongly notified me of new mail (as described above) and my maildrop logs on the server didn't indicate that any new mail had actually arrived within the last hour(s) -- not even spam.

Perhaps the "original" non-IDLE auto-checking code is conflicting with the new IDLE code...?

I'll try disabling "Check for new messages every ... minutes" (I just didn't think of that before) and I'll see whether it helps.
djbrock

Post by djbrock »

MScott,

I reset my training.dat so it is now 36K, my old one which I still have archived is 2,936 K.

(1) I reset my training.dat. (2) I deleted my MSF files. (3) I set my User.js filter setting to 90.

(4) I ran the filter on my Inbox with 23 messages and it did a fine job of identifying the junk, it didn't miss any and it caught a few things that were not on my White List but that I wanted to keep, so I unchecked them by hand.

(5) Then, I ran it on my Trash folder which has 2528 messages in it. It is loaded with junk mail but it did not identify a single piece of junk.

I also have tried to enable the logging for junk mail like you suggested, but I guess I did it wrong. I modified it for TB, perhaps that's not right. Here is what I have done.

set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=IMAP:5
set NSPR_LOG_FILE=c:\Temp\Imap.log
start thunderbird.exe

I don't suppose the junk mail logging in the filter control works yet since it has never shown me any results.
kyods

Post by kyods »

The mnenhy 0.5 (Mail News Enhancer) extension behaves badly with this build. All the headers are gone, there's no subject or sender being displayed.
mscott

Post by mscott »

djbrock wrote:MScott,

I reset my training.dat so it is now 36K, my old one which I still have archived is 2,936 K.

That seems awfully small in size. How many messages did you mark as junk and not junk to generate a training file that size? Mine is almost around 500K with several hundred of good and bad mail in it. Sounds like you don't have enough training data.

djbrock wrote:(1) I reset my training.dat. (2) I deleted my MSF files. (3) I set my User.js filter setting to 90.

These builds already default to a value of 90 so you should not have to change this in your user prefs.js file.

djbrock wrote:I also have tried to enable the logging for junk mail like you suggested, but I guess I did it wrong. I modified it for TB, perhaps that's not right. Here is what I have done.

start thunderbird.exe

That's not what I told you to do :). That will give you a log of IMAP activity. You want a log of the junk control filtters. Read my earlier post for the value to use for NSPR_LOG_MODULES :)
Thunderbirds are Go!
Kerrick

Post by Kerrick »

MScott: I'm noticing significant improvement in the filtering here. The one account I have that gets persistent spam has now been dropped down to maybe 1 or 2 per email checking versus 5-10 previously. My training.dat is a little over 3 megs, trained with probaly 500 total emails, more spam than ham

However I am noticing now that these builds are back to the old behvior of showing the new mail icon even if said new mail is consigned to the trash (automaticlaly or by hand)
Shaddow

Post by Shaddow »

djbrock wrote:MScott,

I also have tried to enable the logging for junk mail like you suggested, but I guess I did it wrong. I modified it for TB, perhaps that's not right. Here is what I have done.

start thunderbird.exe

I don't suppose the junk mail logging in the filter control works yet since it has never shown me any results.

I also don't seem to be getting any logs. I used this batch file to start mine.
set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=nsBayesian:5
set NSPR_LOG_FILE=c:\imap\bayes.log
start thunderbird.exe

Then ran the "Run Junk Mail Controls on this filter" on a folder of junk mail I keep around (on a remote IMAP server if that matters)
bayes.log is created and stays empty.

Junk mail logging is turned on in the program.

If I change the nsBayesian:5 to IMAP:5 I get a proper IMAP log, so I know the variables are being set correctly in the batch file. Any ideas?
mscott

Post by mscott »

My bad, the NSPR Module name is:

BayesianFilter

NOT nsBayesianFilter which is what I told you to use.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

Custom sounds works, nice!

There is a bug filed for that (bug 221170), i guess it can be marked as FIXED now?