2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
plucky

how do you retrain?

Post by plucky »

How exactly do you retrain the Thunderbird junk mail filter?

I've got a folder brimming with spam (over 600), all marked as such. Is it enough to reset the junk filter and then view this spam-laden folder? Or, do I need to mark all the spam as not junk and then mark it junk again to get the filter to register? Or, should I mark it all as not junk, then reset the filter, then mark it as junk again?

As you can see, my mental model for how the filter works could use a little help. ;)
What's the best way to retrain?

Thanks.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

John Liebson wrote:
Moonwolf wrote:Don't download from the latest-trunk folder if you want the build from Scott's announcement! This is a special build, the latest-trunk does not contain Scott's modifications.
So I've found. (I sort of wish Scott had made that clear; no big deal, but as I'm on a dial-up, it does take some time to download, install, figure out that features that are supposed to be there are not, redownload, and so on and on and on....)

On the other hand, this does give me something to complain about, which always makes my day better--as if there were not always at least something to complain about.

Ah, well, all's well that ends.

Could you give a link please? I'm also on dialup and want to get the right build. :)
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

This build seems quite finished. Everything works nice and it is much faster than the previous. I think I will stay with this one a while
Laeb

Post by Laeb »

The folders column used to have an option to choose to display the number of unread messages or the number of messages in each folder.
Is this a regression ?
mscott

Re: how do you retrain?

Post by mscott »

plucky wrote:How exactly do you retrain the Thunderbird junk mail filter?

I've got a folder brimming with spam (over 600), all marked as such. Is it enough to reset the junk filter and then view this spam-laden folder? Or, do I need to mark all the spam as not junk and then mark it junk again to get the filter to register? Or, should I mark it all as not junk, then reset the filter, then mark it as junk again?

As you can see, my mental model for how the filter works could use a little help. ;)
What's the best way to retrain?

Thanks.

Reset the junk filter. Go to your junk folder, select all or select 600 or so of those message and then do a Mark As Junk. Select a similar number of good messages, select Mark as Not Junk.

Your filter has now been retrained on those two sets of data.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Laeb wrote:The folders column used to have an option to choose to display the number of unread messages or the number of messages in each folder.
Is this a regression ?

Go to Options, Advanced. Under General Settings, check "Show expanded columns in the folder pane".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

bozz wrote:Could you give a link please? I'm also on dialup and want to get the right build. :)

See the first post of this thread.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Moonwolf wrote:
bozz wrote:Could you give a link please? I'm also on dialup and want to get the right build. :)

See the first post of this thread.

John Liebson refers to a 7.5 KB build and a 7.6 KB build, which he says works properly and not the 7.5 KB build. The link in the first post shows a 7.5 KB build.
w1cpo

2004-03-12 Weekly Build Now Available (Win32)

Post by w1cpo »

Works well for me so far... and, F8 works!

Les
plucky

Post by plucky »

mscott wrote:Reset the junk filter. Go to your junk folder, select all or select 600 or so of those message and then do a Mark As Junk. Select a similar number of good messages, select Mark as Not Junk.

Just to be clear: Are you saying that, even though the messages are already marked as junk (they have the recycle can icon), doing another Mark As Junk on them will retrain the filter? Is that right?

Sorry to be dense -- just want to make sure I understand.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

bozz wrote:John Liebson refers to a 7.5 KB build and a 7.6 KB build, which he says works properly and not the 7.5 KB build. The link in the first post shows a 7.5 KB build.

Scott's post points to the correct build, which is 7.5MB. The incorrect build in the latest-trunk directory is smaller (7.4MB).
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

plucky wrote:
mscott wrote:Reset the junk filter. Go to your junk folder, select all or select 600 or so of those message and then do a Mark As Junk. Select a similar number of good messages, select Mark as Not Junk.

Just to be clear: Are you saying that, even though the messages are already marked as junk (they have the recycle can icon), doing another Mark As Junk on them will retrain the filter? Is that right?

Yes, that's right. If you reset the filter they are no longer considered junk for training purposes, even though they are still marked in the mail database. But if you're worried it won't work, you could always mark them as not junk before you reset the junk filter.
mscott

Post by mscott »

plucky wrote:

Sorry to be dense -- just want to make sure I understand.

If you reset your training data then you need to re-classify existing messages that may already be classified in order to retrain the filter.

The only time the training data for this filter is altered in anyway is when the user explicitly marks a message as junk or not junk.
Thunderbirds are Go!
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

Looking REAL good - this is the first build that caught and correctly identified as junk messages with high-order ASCII weirdness in both subject and sender - congrats! :)
plucky

Post by plucky »

mscott wrote:If you reset your training data then you need to re-classify existing messages that may already be classified in order to retrain the filter.

The only time the training data for this filter is altered in anyway is when the user explicitly marks a message as junk or not junk.

Wicked -- thanks. I understand now!