Minotaur on Linux

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
oliof

Minotaur on Linux

Post by oliof »

Hey folks,
I just wanted to keep You informed I successfully built a minotaur on a gentoo linux system tonight. It seems a bit slow, but that is probably because I didn't specify the right optimization options for my little system. I have to rebuild anyway, because I forgot to enable Xft.

I did not use Mozilla's MailNews component since 1.2.1 days. Currently I use kmail at home, but I think I can switch to the Minotaur soon....

Regards,
oliof
supenguin

minotaur build mini-HOWTO?

Post by supenguin »

Did you do this by simply following the build instructions at <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/minotaur/build.html">mozilla.org</a>? If not, a mini-howto about how you did it would be most helpful. ebuilds (minotaur-cvs and minotaur-bin whenever its available) would also be much appreciated by other Gentoo users ;-)
Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue...
oliof

minotaur-cvs ebuild

Post by oliof »

Hi,

In the first run I just followed the build instructions using the cvs repository, which worked fine for a first shot. Then, I wanted an ebuild...
I just modified the phoenix-cvs ebuild so it builds minotaur from cvs. I managed to get minotaur built on my machine with it. It does not install /usr/bin/minotaur, though, and putting a link from /usr/lib/minotaur/minotaur to /usr/bin yields an error, even with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME explicitly set:

[hollow@oliof minotaur] $ MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/minotaur \ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/minotaur /usr/lib/minotaur/minotaur
/usr/lib/minotaur/minotaur-bin: relocation error: /usr/lib/minotaur/minotaur-bin: undefined symbol: NS_CurrentThread
[hollow@oliof minotaur] $

Is there any way to post files in this forum?

Regards,
oliof
supenguin

RE: minotaur-cvs ebuild

Post by supenguin »

So minotaur worked when you built it by hand, but not from the ebuild?

You're asking the wrong person about this forum. Notice your first post ever was a couple hours before mine... Anyway, I don't think you can post files to this forum. The best thing to do at this point would probably be post your ebuild either into the Gentoo forums and go from there.
mscott

Linux builds of Minotaur

Post by mscott »

I hope to get a linux version of minotaur up on ftp.mozilla.org/pub/minotaur in the very near future.
michel v

Post by michel v »

I may provide a RedHat 8 build in a few days, if nobody beats me to it. ;)
oliof

ebuild is working now

Post by oliof »

Hi,
after taking out some of the ebuild's magic for phoenix, I now have a working ebuild. I will commit it to gentoo today, after cleaning it up a bit. Those who want it faster - just send me a message.

Regards,
oliof
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Don't forget non-gentoo users, guys.
I would love to get rid of mozilla mail to use minotaur with my slackware 9!
And yes, I know I should use Gentoo but I have tried and failed to install it... My toshiba was too complicated to get it going...

Thanks!
oliof

others not forgotten

Post by oliof »

Hey Laurentbon,
I can only provide what I am having at home. Feel free to build minotaur and a slackware pkg (-:

And no, You should not use gentoo, You should use what fits You best. That's why we're doing all this, no?

I submitted my ebuild to gentoo's bugzilla (bug #18683). If anyone is ready to spit flaming death at me, there You'll find the reason to do so.

Regards,
oliof
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Understood Oliof!
Building Minotaur... I wouldn't know where to start...
I guess I will just have to be patient...
supenguin

minotaur packages

Post by supenguin »

Laurentbon: I wasn't suggesting that we only do Gentoo ebuilds for minotaur. That's just what oliof mentioned, and I'm a Gentoo user too, so that's what I focused on. I'd love to see everyone interested in minotaur build packages for their favorite distro. Why stop at that? How about get it up and running on different OSs? MacOS/X, *BSD, VMS, and whatever else is out there that could run minotaur... Maybe this will turn into a "What did you get minotaur to build on?" thread. :-)
michel v

Post by michel v »

I have a Minotaur build for RedHat 8 from last night, but I'm currently rebuilding to add XFT support.
Then I'll upload it later today and give the URL. :)

EDIT: Damn, I forgot to disable-debug and ended up with a 240 MB /bin directory. No way I post that, so I'll just rebuild with disable-debug and post the file even later. ;)
T_Moz

Redhat build

Post by T_Moz »

I'm currently working on a redhat 8 build and will post a tar.gz somewhere once it is ready
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Just installed the RH8 build of Minotaur on my slackware. Already looks pretty promising software-wise.
I am missing the GTK support though...

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to build Minotaur for a distro? Furthermore, with GTK support?
oliof

Post by oliof »

What do You mean by 'missing gtk support?' You build minotaur against either of gtk-1.2 or gtk-2 on linux, depending on Your installation and bravado (gtk2 builds are rumoured to have stability issues). If You meant to write missing xft support(support for antialiased fonts) - this is disabled in the default minotaur build because it's not available with all linux distributions yet.

You want to look at

http://www.slackware.com/book/index.php ... x4132.html

for the package building instructions for slackware.

and at

http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/minotaur/build.html

for instructions on how to build the program itself.

Regards,
Harald