Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
DanRaisch

Re: How to make a list inside a list

Post by DanRaisch »

Thsnks. She's an Australian Shepherd.
jakasnaka

Post by jakasnaka »

If you have a mailing list you can add its name to another mailing list, simulating the nesting of mailing lists.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

I just tried this, but it didn't work for me. I named the list "Multiple emails" and included that inside another list which I then emailed. TB said that the mail had been successfully delivered, but then I received a notice from my ISP that "Multiple emails" is not a valid email address.

If this works for you, can you please share the details of how you do it.

Thanks.
jakasnaka

Post by jakasnaka »

I just tried it again and it seems to be working for me. I created 3 lists (list1, list2, and list3). I made the list nicknames also the same, list1, list2, and list3. Then I added a email address to list1 and another email address to list2. Finally I added list1 <list1>, list2 <list2>, and a third email address to list3. I then tested it by sending an email to list3 <list3>. The piece in between the greater then less then <> was added automatically by TB. Not sure if this has anything to do with why it's working for me.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

I just tried the same thing - made three lists: list1 had an address; list2 had a different address; list3 had a third address as well as list1 and list2. I emailed a test message to list3. I got the same result I did last time - list1 and list2 bounced as "invalid domain".
Are you using Shredder latest nightly?

Anyone have any ideas?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

I am surprised no one has mentioned the relevant bug - Bug 40301 - Support a List within a List for Address Book (nested, inside).
I think it's unlikely to make version 3 - there are some prerequisites before it can be looked at in more detail - but who knows.
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

I'd heard this was the problem. But when jakasnaka said he'd been able to do it, I wondered if he had found a fix.
jakasnaka

Post by jakasnaka »

This is definitely working for me. I tried it in an ancient version of TB 1.5 along with TB 2.0.0.17. Both are working. Did you specify in the TO field list1 <list1> like I had mentioned TB was doing for me automagically? I doubt that does anything different but I just want to confirm that we're doing an apples to apples comparison. Also I would start looking at the user profiles within TB. Maybe I'm specifying something special in there?
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

I think we figured it out. I tried a July 2006 TB release, and it works. However, I'm now using TB 3.0a1 and I saw in another forum that the reason the list inside a list used to work is that there was a bug which allowed it. Unfortunately (!) they've fixed the bug and now it won't work. Have a look at viewtopic.php?p=3275161#3275161.

Is it working for you in TB3?
Yes, I have list1<list1> in the TO: address and it gets bounced as "invalid email address".