Translation

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Grandpas

Translation

Post by Grandpas »

Is there a langage file or something else that we can edit for a Minotaur translation ?
seb

Post by seb »

Hack the en-*.jar files in your chrome/ dir. The guys over at FrenchMozilla have probably already planned to begin a translation, though.
That said, it's probably a bit early, since Minotaur isn't even 0.1.
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

seb wrote:Hack the en-*.jar files in your chrome/ dir. The guys over at FrenchMozilla have probably already planned to begin a translation, though.

Thanks for the information.

I plan to translate for some friends for which using a program with non-french menu is a problem :-)
yurk

Post by yurk »

seb wrote:The guys over at FrenchMozilla have probably already planned to begin a translation, though.

That's totally untrue :) The consensus there seems to be "wait and see". But since Thunderbird is almost the same thing as Mozilla Mail for now, I wouldn't be too surprised if the language files from Mozilla 1.3 actually worked only with a minimal file editing (installed-chrome.txt ?).

Exactly. But since I'm actually using Minotaur/Thunderbird (I like dangerous living), I might take a look at it in a not-so-near future though (if no one cares besides me in the meanwhile).

P.S. GrandPas you can contact me by PM or ICQ if you need help porting the files from Mozilla (which can be found <a href="http://frenchmozilla.sourceforge.net/FTP/1.3/">here</a>) to Thunderbird, it should be similar to what we've done with Phoe... er I mean Firebird.
Benoit
Mozilla en français : http://frenchmozilla.sf.net/. De l'aide en français : http://www.geckozone.org/
Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb »

What would be the general mechanism for an end-user to change the interface language? Can't remember having seen a preference or anything to select the interface language..
And He Said: "Rhubarb"
jas

Post by jas »

yurk wrote:But since Thunderbird is almost the same thing as Mozilla Mail for now, I wouldn't be too surprised if the language files from Mozilla 1.3 actually worked only with a minimal file editing (installed-chrome.txt ?).

I don't think so that it's that simple. Thunderbird expects some strings that don't appear in Mozilla's language jars (eg. strings needed for customising the toolbars)... Well, I didn't get it to work that way since TB started complaining big time.

This *might* work: Unzip Thunderbird's en-US.jar (keep dir structure), then unzip a Mozilla's translated langauge jas on the top of it (do NOT replace the content.* files though) and then package the whole lot up again and replace TB's en-US.jar with the doctored one. Repeat for other language jars.

Caution: Messing with the chrome (manually or otherwise) has a tendency to break the software... Keep a backup of the chrome-folder and prepare for a catastrophy.

I've managed to port a Mozilla translation onto TB, but it was easy since I used the Mozilla Translator AND I had access to a glossary file. That approach is good only if you've translated Mozilla before (or ask someone who has)

And finally: TB has extremely bloated en-US.jar - it includes the files for the browser, etc. I think there is some cleaning up to do...
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

P.S. GrandPas you can contact me by PM or ICQ if you need help porting the files from Mozilla (which can be found <a href="http://frenchmozilla.sourceforge.net/FTP/1.3/">here</a>) to Thunderbird, it should be similar to what we've done with Phoe... er I mean Firebird.
I've delayed a little bit my work on this.
But I take note of your possible help :-)
Thanks
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost ... I am Aragorn, and those verses go with that name.