2003-04-16-win32 build available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

2003-04-16-win32 build available

Post by mscott »

As some of you have already noticed, I just posted a win32 snapshot of the Thunderbird trunk up on the ftp site:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/

I haven't done a lot of smoketesting on this build yet though, so take that as your disclaimer.

New in this build (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... anges.html):
1) Thunderbird Mail branding changes including a new executable name.
2) Uses a thunderbird profile directory not a minotaur profile directory. So you'll have to re-migrate again =(. We suck...sorry for making you do it again.
3) New POP accounts shouldn't be downloading new mail automatically after you create them and we default to leave on server for new pop accounts.
4) Various fixes and improvements that have gone into the mozilla trunk since our last snapshot build.

Let me know how things look. Don't forget this is a snapshot from the trunk so any given problems with the trunk on the 16th are going to be here too.

-Scott
Last edited by mscott on April 17th, 2003, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Cool, I saw the build earlier and wanted to know what changed, just installed it and everything seems fine so far.
djst

Post by djst »

I'm very confused by the new default behavior of leaving POP messages on the server. Am I just ignorant or does this mean the server will eventually become full? What's the benefit from this non-standard behavior?
kopi0

first time user

Post by kopi0 »

migrated few of my non-critical pop accts to it. so far so good.
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

djst wrote:I'm very confused by the new default behavior of leaving POP messages on the server. Am I just ignorant or does this mean the server will eventually become full? What's the benefit from this non-standard behavior?

Haven't looked into this build yet, but if that *is* the default behaviour, I don't understand either...?
Why would people leave mail on the server by default?
Even if you use multiple machines where you would want to have the same mail, it doesn't always work right.
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.
tve

Post by tve »

djst wrote:I'm very confused by the new default behavior of leaving POP messages on the server. Am I just ignorant or does this mean the server will eventually become full? What's the benefit from this non-standard behavior?

agreed. I think its because some people complained that mail is directly downloaded after creation of a new account..?

"Remember last selected message" is also still broken <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8663">(link)</a>

Options > General > Windows > Layout #2, too :[
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
aab

Post by aab »

DizzyWeb wrote:Why would people leave mail on the server by default?

Because they're just trying out this mail client and they most certainly will not convert after first use and they *will* go back to their previous pop3 client if Tbd deletes all their mail as default.

If you're regular user then you can turn this option off. Surely you know how to do this?
ccoma

Post by ccoma »

The reason is already given I think, but to sum up:
many complained that thunderbird directly tries to download mails after the account-creation, but they just want to have a look at tb. Now you can choose on the creation of the account, if the mails should be downloaded immediately after the process or not. In addition, so nothing can't go wrong, the mails stay on the server by default, just in case you didn't intended to download them ...

I don't think that the server will become full, because many mail-provider simply erase all mails after a certain time. In my case after 30 days...

so long
mscott

Post by mscott »

ccoma wrote:

The reason is already given I think, but to sum up:
many complained that thunderbird directly tries to download mails after the account-creation, but they just want to have a look at tb. Now you can choose on the creation of the account, if the mails should be downloaded immediately after the process or not. In addition, so nothing can't go wrong, the mails stay on the server by default, just in case you didn't intended to download them ...

I don't think that the server will become full, because many mail-provider simply erase all mails after a certain time. In my case after 30 days...

so long

This is exactly why I made that change. If you look back in time, Mozilla Mail did the same thing initially. At this stage of Thunderbird, folks are more likely to just be "trying it out". We don't want them to lose their POP mail from their regular mail program.

Once Thunderbird becomes a more finished mail application, we'll reverse this pref again.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

oh, i see now. i thought you guys were just complaining because it left a copy of your message on the server - now i see that it doesn't even download a copy. it's weird. it tells you that you have email but it's not there. is there a reason that the default can't be for downloading a new message but leaving a copy on the server? do some people have problems with it not leaving a copy? i don't see the point in having the default not actually show you your mail - even in pre-alpha. it's like having a browser that has a default not to let you on the web. of course it's an easy setting to change, it just seems like overkill. whatever.
NTUsEr

Post by NTUsEr »

question: i can just copy the new build over the old build for Tbird like pheonix builds?
aab

Post by aab »

NTUsEr wrote:question: i can just copy the new build over the old build for Tbird like pheonix builds?

Yes. Although it'd be cleaner to delete old files first. All preferences, mails and filters are kept separate from program files so you can safely put new builds into same directory. We'll see how it goes with themes (once these will start to arrive).
djst

Post by djst »

NTUsEr wrote:question: i can just copy the new build over the old build for Tbird like pheonix builds?

Probably, but as mentioned, the new build uses a new profile folder and also a new binary (thunderbird.exe), so why not erasing the folder first?
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

I just ran into my first problem. I was moving some messages between folders and then deleted an account I wasn't using anymore. I got a message saying that it failed to delete the account. Soon after that Thunderbird crashed. Now whenever I open Thunderbird it crashes.
djst

Post by djst »

mattcoz wrote:I just ran into my first problem. I was moving some messages between folders and then deleted an account I wasn't using anymore. I got a message saying that it failed to delete the account. Soon after that Thunderbird crashed. Now whenever I open Thunderbird it crashes.

This happened to me once (the repeated crashes) and the solution for me was to completely delete the program folder of Thunderbird and then install it again. Your profile and settings will be left intact.