2003-04-23-win32 build is now available!

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fbddk

Post by fbddk »

I'm not able to get mail with this build - when I click the get mail and enter my password (the correct one, no CAPS-LOCK accident or other mishap) I get this message in an alertbox:

The PASS command did not succeed. Mail server mail.fbd.dk responded: authentication exchange failed

Tried 3 times now - once with the old profile from last build, once with a clean profile and lastly once in a clean winXP user with clean profile.

Every time I get the mentioned alert and get a change to enter the password again. When I change back to previous build everything works like a charm.

As mentioned my OS is winXP.
technocrat

Post by technocrat »

zengiman wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but how can I make sure I keep all my preferences and filters? It was a lot of work to make it useful for me, don't wanna lose all that

I used this trick to transfer from an earlier Minotaur to the new Thunderbird. Maybe it will work for you, too. (I didn't have any filters so I don't know if it would transfer them.)

I copied the stuff in my Minotaur prefs.js (C:\Windows\Application Data\Minotaur\Profiles\default\xxxxx.slt\prefs.js).

I unziped Thunderbird and executed it. Then I exited Thunderbird right away.

Then I made a user.js and put the stuff from prefs.js in it. (C:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxx.slt\prefs.js).

And then when I re-started Thunderbird, my settings seemed to be there.

If your operating system isn't Win9x, you'll have <a href="http://www.flii.us/myworks/phoenix/pages/user.html">different paths</a>.

By the way, I don't recommend deleting your Minotaur profile folder. I deleted mine and my mailboxes disappeared. I got them back by retrieving the folder from my recycle bin.

(Thunderbird 2003-04-24. WindowsME.)
mscott

Post by mscott »

technocrat wrote:
Then I made a user.js and put the stuff from prefs.js in it. (C:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxx.slt\prefs.js).

By the way, I don't recommend deleting your Minotaur profile folder. I deleted mine and my mailboxes disappeared. I got them back by retrieving the folder from my recycle bin.

(Thunderbird 2003-04-24. WindowsME.)

*Yikes* Please follow the migration instructions on the help site:
http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#2.3

Don't do what technocrat just did! That's not going to work. Your prefs.js file has a lot of absolute paths in it (including paths to mail folders).

Technocrat, no wonder your mail went away when you deleted your minotaur profile...you skipped the crucial step of changing the paths to match the new profile location after you copied your data over =)

On top of that you should be modifying the prefs in prefs.js and not in a user.js file for something like this.
Thunderbirds are Go!
technocrat

Post by technocrat »

mscott wrote:That's not going to work.
Your mileage may vary. It worked for me when I tried it.

I didn't realize <a href="http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html">Thunderbird Help FAQ</a> already had an answer for this question. Maybe this is a good time to mention that's it's a good idea to try to find this information from the Thunderbird Help site or another authority first before posting a question. I've heard a rumour that mozillaZine pretty much let's every idiot (oops, that's me) post a wrong answer.

By the way, I'm actually running two browsers these days, Thunderbird for Newsgroups and junk e-mail accounts (don't ask) and Mozilla for my <em>real</em> e-mail. So far Thunderbird has passed my tests with flying colors. Once I figure out how to import my mail from Mozilla ;), I'm going to switch over to Thunderbird completely. Thanks, Thunderbird Team!
wadey

Post by wadey »

fbddk wrote:I'm not able to get mail with this build - when I click the get mail and enter my password (the correct one, no CAPS-LOCK accident or other mishap) I get this message in an alertbox:

The PASS command did not succeed. Mail server mail.fbd.dk responded: authentication exchange failed

Tried 3 times now - once with the old profile from last build, once with a clean profile and lastly once in a clean winXP user with clean profile.

Every time I get the mentioned alert and get a change to enter the password again. When I change back to previous build everything works like a charm.

I'm having the same problem on the 4/23 build, any ideas?
rockstiff

Post by rockstiff »

technocrat wrote:
mscott wrote:That's not going to work.
Your mileage may vary. It worked for me when I tried it.

I didn't realize <a href="http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html">Thunderbird Help FAQ</a> already had an answer for this question. Maybe this is a good time to mention that's it's a good idea to try to find this information from the Thunderbird Help site or another authority first before posting a question. I've heard a rumour that mozillaZine pretty much let's every idiot (oops, that's me) post a wrong answer.

By the way, I'm actually running two browsers these days, Thunderbird for Newsgroups and junk e-mail accounts (don't ask) and Mozilla for my <em>real</em> e-mail. So far Thunderbird has passed my tests with flying colors. Once I figure out how to import my mail from Mozilla ;), I'm going to switch over to Thunderbird completely. Thanks, Thunderbird Team!

To import your mail from Mozilla just copy the Mail folder from your Mozilla profile to the Thunderbird profile... Just make sure you have the same accounts in Thunderbird 'cause the mail goes into account-specific folders (e.g mail.mymail.com).
mscott

Post by mscott »

technocrat wrote:By the way, I'm actually running two browsers these days, Thunderbird for Newsgroups and junk e-mail accounts (don't ask) and Mozilla for my <em>real</em> e-mail. So far Thunderbird has passed my tests with flying colors. Once I figure out how to import my mail from Mozilla ;), I'm going to switch over to Thunderbird completely. Thanks, Thunderbird Team!

I'm extremely confusd by your comment about figuring out how to import your mail from Mozilla. Just follow the steps in the FAQ and you are in business.
Thunderbirds are Go!
djst

Post by djst »

mscott wrote:
technocrat wrote:By the way, I'm actually running two browsers these days, Thunderbird for Newsgroups and junk e-mail accounts (don't ask) and Mozilla for my <em>real</em> e-mail. So far Thunderbird has passed my tests with flying colors. Once I figure out how to import my mail from Mozilla ;), I'm going to switch over to Thunderbird completely. Thanks, Thunderbird Team!

I'm extremely confusd by your comment about figuring out how to import your mail from Mozilla. Just follow the steps in the FAQ and you are in business.

Actually, it should be possible to keep using the Mozilla profile as long as you don't use Mozilla at the same time.

Just create a new profile (in Thunderbird) but choose the folder where your mozilla profile currently is in. But this is just a sidenote: the FAQ explains how it [i]should[i] be done. :)
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

I noticed that the new build has a lot of missing directories compared to the 0416 build, especially in chrome\ as well as a missing plugins directory. I assume these folders aren't needed, and are the main cause of the footprint reduction?
ganlu

a little problem with chinese autodetect

Post by ganlu »

In previous 04-16 builds, I have imagrated all profiles from mozilla and set default display code to GB18031. I meet problem with new 04-23 builds, which seems unable to autodetect chinese any longer. It doesn't display right unless I select one coding for a mail and sometimes problem even remains in preview panel's words . Work fine with 04-16,
fbddk

Post by fbddk »

wadey wrote:
fbddk wrote:I'm not able to get mail with this build - when I click the get mail and enter my password (the correct one, no CAPS-LOCK accident or other mishap) I get this message in an alertbox:

are you using winXP too?
and is it a POP3 server you try to connect to?

I've been asked to try and log whats going on by following the instrucktions here:

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews ... .html#imap

And I'm soon gonna try some woodoo on my computer because I cant get that to work either - no log entries show up. Of cource it could be me who needs an IQ upgrade..

Anyway my Tbird now GETS mail when I open it, but comes with the error message when I try to get mails afterwards. - That behavior rules out any mistyping in settings and username/password.
wadey

Post by wadey »

fbddk wrote:
wadey wrote:

are you using winXP too?
and is it a POP3 server you try to connect to?

Yes and yes.
Username

Post by Username »

Very happy with Thunderbird-win32, using a combination of IMAP and POP3 services.

My number one whine is that TBird still doesn't seem to respect the settting of "Loading of remote images" under "Tools | Options | Privacy & Security". I have it un-checked, yet the images continue to load. :-)

I know this was mentioned as a problem when the first build came out. Does it work properly for other folks now?

Just wanted to drag the bug back into the light. :-)
mscott

Post by mscott »

Duplicating a post I made to another thread because this explains the problem many of you are having when logging onto a pop server:

According to netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news there was a major bug for POP users in the April 23rd trunk build involving a CRAM MD5 failure:

"The PASS command did not succeed. Mail server x.y.com responded: CRAM
authentication failed. "

Apparently it has since been fixed on the trunk so the next Thunderbird build should have this fixed too.
Thunderbirds are Go!
technocrat

Post by technocrat »

mscott wrote:I'm extremely confusd by your comment about figuring out how to import your mail from Mozilla.
I was trying to make a joke. Sorry, I've got a dry sense of humor. Yes, the instructions are very clear. If I had realized it was that easy, I would have imported my mail sooner.