Large TB Footprint in WinXP

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
vivarey

Large TB Footprint in WinXP

Post by vivarey »

Just migrated from Mozilla Mail (1.4a, WinXP Pro Build 2600). Being a person who used both the browsing and email features of Mozilla, I'm skeptical about splitting up these components. But I did read the roadmap, and I understand that in the future the 2 will be able to work better together.

Despite my skepticism, I'm still excited about the Thunderbird project, as I'm always for the de-bloating of software. After downloading and installing this latest Windows nightly (4/23), I was disappointed in the rather large footprint of TB (~30-40MB). This is about 6-8 times more than Moz Mail. Also, the startup time was approx 10-15 sec - when Moz Mail was closer to 3-5. Are these figures consistent with yours?

I know this is an early build - so my complaints are just an FYI. This project is a large venture, and you're doing wonderfully so far. Keep it up, and I'm sure TB will rival Moz Mail in no time.

-vivarey
mscott

Post by mscott »

Thunderbird is much faster at startup than Mozilla mail for me. I'm shocked at the numbers you are quoting.

Just out of curiousity, make a back up of localstore.rdf in your profile directory then replace it with the one in thunderbird\defaults\profile\localstore.rdf

After doing that, is thunderbird still slower to start up than a mozilla mail build?

Of course you need to compare it to starting mozilla with "-mail" and not by comparing it to clicking on the mail button from the browser. Otherwise you aren't comparing apples to apples.
Thunderbirds are Go!
djst

Post by djst »

mscott wrote:Thunderbird is much faster at startup than Mozilla mail for me. I'm shocked at the numbers you are quoting.

Just out of curiousity, make a back up of localstore.rdf in your profile directory then replace it with the one in thunderbird\defaults\profile\localstore.rdf

After doing that, is thunderbird still slower to start up than a mozilla mail build?

Of course you need to compare it to starting mozilla with "-mail" and not by comparing it to clicking on the mail button from the browser. Otherwise you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Isn't the startup affected by the amount of email? I have *lots* of mail in my different mail folders (although the inbox is actually almost empty) and both MozMail and Thunderbird tages a very long time to start compared to one with a clean profile.
vivarey

Post by vivarey »

mscott wrote:Just out of curiousity, make a back up of localstore.rdf in your profile directory then replace it with the one in thunderbird\defaults\profile\localstore.rdf

Thanks for the suggestion! But it doesn't seem to make a difference. I didn't port my entire Moz Mail folder over- just the mbox files in my inbox. I like to start fresh in situations like this...

Isn't the startup affected by the amount of email? I have *lots* of mail in my different mail folders (although the inbox is actually almost empty) and both MozMail and Thunderbird tages a very long time to start compared to one with a clean profile.

I wasn't aware of this. I have LOTS of email in my inbox, but I though the MSF files avoided any pitfalls in that area...

-vivarey