Videos won't play

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
wateringcan

Videos won't play

Post by wateringcan »

Hi!

I'm using Windows XP and SeaMonkey 2.40.

Recently, videos on some sites can not be viewed anymore. In particular on Tumblr.com. They won't play, nothing happens when I click them.

Found some info about this for Firefox. I imagine it's similar, but I coudn't find the same names for settings in about:config in SeaMonkey. If you need to see links, I can find them again.

From what I understand, Seamonkey decided to block support for certain videos in it's settings, because it's not safe to watch them. I went through alot of possible solutions before reaching that conclusion. I tried to empty cache directly in the folder, downloaded new plugins like Flash and Silverlight, and other things. Nothing has worked.

I don't mind the security risk. How do I turn on the video function?
barbaz

Re: Videos won't play

Post by barbaz »

wateringcan wrote: I coudn't find the same names for settings in about:config in SeaMonkey.
What if you manually create those prefs (right-click > New, choose the correct type)
wateringcan wrote: If you need to see links, I can find them again.
Can you please post both the link to a non-working video and the links to the instructions you found to fix it in Firefox?
wateringcan

Post by wateringcan »

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't tried anything more yet. But here are the links. I'm not even sure I understand everything they are talking about there, but they seem to have solved the problem for themselves in FireFox on Windows XP.

Here is the main thread, and it has an example link aswell to a tumblr video.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3005723

Plus, they are referring to this link:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175591- ... out-flash/

Can anything like this be done for SeaMonkey, and is it worth trying?
therube

Post by therube »

It can be done.
If you need to view the particular videos, on an XP system, then its worth trying.

[solved] Tumblr videos not playing
Ignore that.
It does NOT work in SeaMonkey.
(At least I didn't get to work.)
I used that method to get it working in FF, but when I tried the same in SeaMonkey, I did not get it to recognize the Plugin, & it did not work.

(Plugin includes a file, "eme-adobe.voucher", which [& I have no clue] might tie it to a specific, something or the other, like "firefox.exe" ? Or maybe SeaMonkey just doesn't have the "guts" built in to take advantage?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Oh, it's using EME? I think SeaMonkey's EME currently only supports ClearKey (but I'm not sure, I use a custom build where disables EME completely).
therube

Post by therube »

FF has EME-free builds, which are the ones I always (& specifically) download.

Though by using the method mentioned, (WinXP) users should be able to play back various videos that they otherwise might not be able to (& this is with the EME-free builds too).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:FF has EME-free builds,
"EME-free" is kind of a misnomer as they just disable EME by default in about:config prefs and don't download any CDMs.