The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Lemon Juice wrote:
tonymec wrote:I must have misunderstood.
I think he meant GUI, not GUID!
She meant GUI *sorry for the confusion!* :oops:
I'm a female computer geek. :wink:
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

tonymec wrote:
LuvKomputrs wrote:Any changes for the GUID for future releases of SeaMonkey?
You mean, intentionally break all existing SeaMonkey add-ons by invalidating the <em:id> inside the SeaMonkey <em:targetApplication> in their install.rdf? I must have misunderstood.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant the GUI. *oops*
SeaMonkey has had the same GUI for many, many years.
Perhaps a new look for the GUI?
And am not talking about major changes, just a new coat of paint so-to-speak.
Know I've said this a lot... :wink:
Any idea the ETA of the next stable release?
Am thinking that perhaps 2.48 might be bypassed and 2.49 released at this point in time.
Am eagerly and patiently awaiting the next stable release! :D
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

It would be nice to have a 3rd default theme in addition to Classic and Modern. I'm not sure who would be able to build one, though.
Firefox's "Compact Light" is nice. Whenever I use Fx on Windows 7/10 I turn on the title bar and menu bar and switch to that theme.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

isaacschemm wrote:It would be nice to have a 3rd default theme in addition to Classic and Modern. I'm not sure who would be able to build one, though.
Firefox's "Compact Light" is nice. Whenever I use Fx on Windows 7/10 I turn on the title bar and menu bar and switch to that theme.
There are a few, a very few "complete themes" still being regularly updated: check https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamonkey/complete-themes/?sort=updated and you will see them latest-first with the last update date mentioned. However, older ones are not necessarily malfunctioning: at the moment, I am using "MicroMonkey", last updated 2015-06-04 (yes, more than two years ago) and it works remarkably well, considering. (I recently noticed that its video controls are decidedly less than perfect but I don't use video. Modern has good ones, though, at least in current 2.53a1 nightlies.)

P.S. It is of course also possible to use "lightweight themes" (previously known as "Personas"), normally with the default theme but also (though less easily: several restarts may be needed) with most other Complete Themes (SeaMonkey Modern is an exception, probably because of its "textured" [cylindrical-like] background).
Best regards,
Tony
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant the GUI. *oops*
SeaMonkey has had the same GUI for many, many years.
Perhaps a new look for the GUI?
And am not talking about major changes, just a new coat of paint so-to-speak.
Know I've said this a lot... :wink:
Good luck with that one. :)

Btw - bet you guys never realised that every time you used the classic theme in small icons mode, that you've been using 'my' icons for the last 9 years? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p4981175

tonymec wrote:...("Personas"), normally with the default theme, but also (though less easily: several restarts may be needed) with most other Complete Themes (SeaMonkey Modern is an exception, probably because of its "textured" [cylindrical-like] background).
Yeah? -

http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Modern ... ersona.png
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> It would be nice to have a 3rd default theme in addition to Classic and Modern. I'm not sure who would be able to build one, though.

Me too but complete themes are on the Mozilla chopper block and will cease to work in Fx 57. The needed support for them is to be removed soon after in 58 or 59 right now.

GUI:

> Not a major overhaul so-to speak. But, something a little new and fresh of years of having the same look for the browser.
> This wouldn't require a lot of work. IMHO it will also draw more users to SeaMonkey as well. Seen many a browser change their look over the years.

Problem is 50% don't want any changes. The other 50% would like to have a gui like Fx and the remaining 50% are undecided :)

Even if not a lot of work its a lot for the people doing the patches. I didn't even manage to get the high res icon we got in the mac version yet.

If new icons are made they should also be vector svg now.

FRG
therube

Post by therube »

(Heh. 50% + 50% + 50%. That used to be called, New Math.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

>> Heh. 50% + 50% + 50%.

I left out the 50% thinking that the next release is the best one ever. Oh wait that was for Fx 54. Or was it Fx 57?

But in short: Doing bigger UI changes in SeaMonkey is complicated.

FRG (wants to get rid of classic icons which are care bear movie style).
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

isaacschemm wrote:It would be nice to have a 3rd default theme in addition to Classic and Modern. I'm not sure who would be able to build one, though.
isaacschemm,

FWIW, I have found Early Blue to be my go to theme for SeaMonkey.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
mozray

Post by mozray »

frg wrote:Problem is 50% don't want any changes. The other 50% would like to have a gui like Fx and the remaining 50% are undecided :)
I'm in the half that wants a gui that resembles Firefox :)

I've already changed all of Seamonkey's address bar and menu icons to what Firefox currently uses with a custom Stylish style. However, I cannot figure out how to change the default bookmark icon in the autocomplete URL box.

Here's what my SM looks like:

Last edited by mozray on May 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mozray wrote: However, I cannot figure out how to change the default bookmark icon in the autocomplete URL box.

Here's what my SM looks like:
So why not show the default bookmark icon in your screenshot, so we all know we're talking about the same thing? I see the Wikipedia favicon there.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mozray

Post by mozray »

Frank Lion wrote:So why not show the default bookmark icon in your screenshot, so we all know we're talking about the same thing? I see the Wikipedia favicon there.
Thanks for asking. Since this isn't a general support thread, wasn't sure if you guys were interested in solving my problem.

Here's the autocomplete bookmark icon I'm talking about:

Last edited by mozray on May 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mozray wrote:Here's the autocomplete bookmark icon I'm talking about:...
Hmm, using my themes, I'm showing the globe icon there. I'll have a look sometime to see how I did that, as you know the DOMi doesn't work too well on trees.

Btw - good theme work you've done there so far, I thought.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Can we move a further detailed discussion on this issue into the Themes forum to keep this thread on topic?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

SEAMONKEY_2_48_BUILD1 has been tagged, but the build got stuck because the Mac OSX builders went AWOL again (bug 1376192). Keep all fingers crossed!

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3031612 in the SM Builds forum.