Establishing a Mail Sub-folder

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Bluelead

Establishing a Mail Sub-folder

Post by Bluelead »

I made an additional sub-folder under the main mail folder (In Box, Draft, Sent and Trash). I want to use this new sub-folder to file certain mail that I receive. It is doing what I wanted it to do. However, when I check Mozilla/Profiles/Mail/Incoming in Windows Explorer the sub-folder does not show up. I want to have it listed in Windows Explorer along with the other sub-folders for backup purposes. I do one of my backups of Sea Monkey by coping the Mozilla directory to a backup file folder. Have I missed a step someplace along the way? Thanks for any help.
DanRaisch

Re: Establishing a Mail Sub-folder

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

The account is set up as POP. Thanks for replying to the Post.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:However, when I check Mozilla/Profiles/Mail/Incoming in Windows Explorer the sub-folder does not show up.
For test I just tried to made such folders and subfolders:

And there is some kind of "bug":
1) right click on "Inbox" -> "New Folder..." -> "Name: Test" -> there was no output,
2) right click on account name (here: "user@example.net") -> "New Folder..." -> "Name: Test:" -> new folder "Test" immediately visible,
3) right click on above "Test" folder -> "New Subfolder..." -> "Name: Test-2" -> there was no output,
4) no new folders seen in Windows Explorer (Total Commander in my case)...
5) ... until I closed/collapsed entire account tree (click that triangle first from left side). Then (suddenly!) all new folder and subfolders were visible in SeaMonkey and Total Commander.

Code: Select all

c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\3jo560ae.Test\Mail\mail.example.net\Inbox.sbd\
c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\3jo560ae.Test\Mail\mail.example.net\Test.sbd\
Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a feature. Try this method and check if it will help.

BTW When I tried to add next "new folders/subfolders" then they were immediately visible. Problem was with first ones only.

EDIT: I'm not using UAC (system's User Account Control). May security software (with firewall) is taking care much better than UAC.
--
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

With your help, I found what I have been doing wrong for years. I have been using the wrong path to get the information I wanted to backup.

This is the old path (I omitted for this email everything up to Mozila), which did not give me the new sub-folder:
Mozilla/Profiles/Default/PrefCode/Mail/Incoming.verizon.net

This is the new path I used based on your reply above and it had the new sub-folder:
Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Profiles/PrefCode/Mail/pop.verizon.net

I thank you for this help! But, I have another question related to these two paths. There is a difference in file sizes between the two paths. In comparison: Drafts old 377,525, new 309,180. Inbox old 322,110, new 26,472. Sent old 332,496, new 329,893.
Do you know why there is a difference? Again, thank you for your help.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:This is the old path (I omitted for this email everything up to Mozila), which did not give me the new sub-folder:
Mozilla/Profiles/Default/PrefCode/Mail/Incoming.verizon.net
This is not default folders for SeaMonkey profile. Maybe it was made by you while restoring backup or something.

To check your actual profile:
Menu -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> in field " Application Basics" click "Open Folder"button
This will open Windows Explorer with SeaMonkey profile you are using.

EDIT: Update SeaMonkey to latest version 2.49.2:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.2
Unfortunately you must do it manually.
--
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I have the right path now and current v2.49.2. I had been using 2.46. I did not know SeaMonkey had newer versions. I would have liked SeaMonkey to notify me of available updates as other programs do. I guess I will have to periodically check.

Did anyone have an answer why the file kb size changed (previous message)? Not a big issue, just wondering. Haven't found any missing messages.

"In comparison: Drafts old 377,525, new 309,180. Inbox old 322,110, new 26,472. Sent old 332,496, new 329,893.
Do you know why there is a difference?"

Thanks again!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If those folders were compacted, physically deleting the messages previously marked for deletion, it would explain a reduction in files size. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... ng_Folders
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I hope this is the last message to bother you with, but with the new v2.49.2 my Pref code has the word DEFAULT after it. Is this normal?

Also, right now I can send messages, but not receive. SeaMonkey shows how many messages are waiting, but will not download them. Below is the error message sent to me. Do I just wait for it to correct or should I do something?

"The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [SYS/TEMP] service temporarily unavailable"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

my Pref code has the word DEFAULT after it.
If by "Pref" you mean profile, then yes, that's normal.

Regarding the error message see this thread == http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14425913
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

After receiving the error message when trying to download messages, I closed out my computer for a few hours. When I opened SeaMonkey again the error messaged had gone away and the program is working well. The Profile code still has Default after it, but I can live with that. Many thanks to all that have contributed to fixing the problem and educating me.