What Is Best Internet Security To Use With SeaMonkey

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

I've been using Kaspersky for years with no issues. I just renewed my subscription and there is a huge issue, it blocks every website I frequent even Yahoo, Google, and Mozilla?

Between this and the Russia thing it's time to change.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you.
Peter Creasey

Re: What Is Best Internet Security To Use With SeaMonkey

Post by Peter Creasey »

AVG Free has always worked well for me.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

@murrysdad

You might want to update to SeaMonkey 2.49.3, to get all the security fixes that are included since your 2.46 was released.

Updates are broken, so you will have to download and install it over your 2.46.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
therube

Post by therube »

Disable https: scanning in Kaspersky (may be the answer).
(Or maybe something like this, Cannot guarantee authenticity of the domain to which encrypted connection is established.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

• :-k The safest option, is to throw away that WindoZe garbage, and use a free and open system like GNU/Linux ...

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

ElTxolo wrote:
  • :-k The safest option, is to throw away that WindoZe garbage, and use a free and open system like GNU/Linux ...

Down with Linux! Up with BSD!
No, seriously, OpenBSD is way safer than Linux. And not JUST because no one uses it!
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

... No, seriously, OpenBSD is way safer than Linux.

[Off-Topic]
    Honestly, it's pretty funny that a guy who uses WindoZe tells me about BSD security.
    You should do a little research, because you don't seem to have a clue.
    OpenBSD is designed with security in mind. But in fact, you can harden both BSD and GNU/Linux and get exactly
    the same levels of security (There are probably many more guides and tutorials on how to harden a GNU/Linux box aswell). [/Off-Topic]

Last edited by DanRaisch on June 13th, 2018, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Keep things civil here or I'll lock this thread.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

DanRaisch wrote:Keep things civil here or I'll lock this thread.
  • I'm sorry, for using that rude word. Image

~
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I'm mildly curious what that word was. Oh well.
I can use Windows for my regular system and still have opinions. Possibly even informed ones.

OpenBSD has regular security audits of the code, which is part of why so few exploits have ever been found in OpenBSD. It doesn't make it an OS I use, however, even though I prefer BSD-land to the Linux-verse. Limited hardware support has kept me from ever doing much more than look at OpenBSD.

Meanwhile, most(but not all) modern Linux installs contain some very large and complex code that has very wide-reaching capabilities, making it basically impossible to verify security as well as making it a very powerful target. More than that, said project has also proven to have rather arrogant management that considers any flaws found someone else's problem.

All the hardening guides in the world won't fix glitchy code.

(In which the guy that runs Windows on his main system has opinions about systemd. I don't pretend to believe Windows is secure, but I don't actually see how any Linux distro running systemd, AKA most of them, can be considered such either. )

Tangentally, I've had FUN just messing around with FreeBSD, which is something I can't actually say about any Linux install I've ever dealt with(or any halfway-recent Windows install).

I ALSO admit to having long since gotten tired of people presenting "blow away your hard drive and change your entire OS" as a valid answer to all computer questions asked. But it is good to see Linux users are as annoyed by "change your OS" as Windows users are.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

murrysdad wrote:I've been using Kaspersky for years with no issues. I just renewed my subscription and there is a huge issue, it blocks every website I frequent even Yahoo, Google, and Mozilla?

Between this and the Russia thing it's time to change.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you.
murrysdad,

I use the following 3 programs: AVAST free, MalwarebytesPro and Scotty on Patrol.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

[Off-Topic]

LordOfTheBored wrote:I'm mildly curious what that word was. Oh well.
  • Ask Cortana. That spyware you have installed and integrated into your system.
    Or you can ask it here
LordOfTheBored wrote:... All the hardening guides in the world won't fix glitchy code.
  • FUD ...

Image Please don't insult the intelligence of people with such nonsense.

The source code, been extensively tested and refined for over 35 years and has proven to be extremely efficient, robust and secure. Improvements are made at a rapid pace.

GNU/Linux is highly resistant to system failures and rarely needs to be restarted. This can be very important for large organizations for which a few minutes of downtime can be a substantial cost. The reason is that GNU/Linux has been designed from scratch to be a stable and robust operating system.

There is a large variety of GNU/Linux distributions (several hundred), each with its own unique set of features, but basically all compatible with each other. This allows users to select the versions that best meet their specific needs. It also means that if a GNU/Linux distributor stopped operating, there would still be many others to choose from. On the other hand, it encourages healthy competition between them, thus contributing to the continuous improvement of the quality and performance of GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux has a high degree of configuration flexibility. High customization can be achieved very easily and without having to modify the source code. It is very easy to configure GNU/Linux during installation and optimize it for use as a workstation, desktop computer, laptop, web server, database server, etc. In the same way the appearance and behavior of the desktop, including icons and menus can be configured with an almost infinite number of possibilities and forms.
    ... If this were not enough, the ability to freely access the source code allows for an "unlimited" degree of customization.

GNU/Linux is capable of operating on a wide variety of platforms and is not only limited to computers with Intel or AMD processors. It works perfectly on a vast variety of equipment ranging from PC's, laptops, Servers, super computers (more than ninety percent) to industrial robots, medical equipment, mobile phones, smartwatchs ... etc.

GNU/Linux is much safer with a very low rate of infection by viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware and other malicious code. This is because UNIX and all its descendants (including GNU/Linux) were designed from scratch with security in mind, instead of trying to patch serious security flaws when it's too late. For example, users do not get used to using the system with administration permissions, in order to protect the main files of the system. Even in the case that the existence of a malicious code, it would not possess sufficient permissions to do much damage. In addition, a solid firewall is included in the main distributions and is activated by default. Another factor to take into account is the free availability of the source code, which allows thousands of people around the world to search for security vulnerabilities.
LordOfTheBored wrote:... systemd
  • :-k I think you've forgotten runit, openrc, SysVinit, S6, upstart ...
LordOfTheBored wrote:... Tangentally, I've had FUN just messing around with FreeBSD, which is something I can't actually say about any Linux install I've ever dealt with
  • Don't be ridiculous. You have never used a terminal text installer (OpenBSD, FreeBSD) in your entire life. [-X

And if you can't install any current GNU/Linux distribution, it just means you're completely useless.

I honestly have better things to do than waste my time with someone who doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about.

[/Off-Topic]

~
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Let's stop this "My OS is better than your OS" nonsense right now.

This thread is now locked because it's descending into name calling.