WhatsApp Web doesn't work with SM 2.53.1

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
raj_bhaskar

WhatsApp Web doesn't work with SM 2.53.1

Post by raj_bhaskar »

Hi, this may be an evangelism issue, but WhatsApp Web (https://web.whatsapp.com) doesn't work in SM2.53.1 (on Win7. I've got a useragent override set for it (I've tried both Firefox 52 and Firefox 60) but it just gives me an error page indicating that Firefox 52+ is needed.

I've not yet upgraded my SM at work (2.49.5 on Win10) and WhatsApp Web works okay on that.
Frank Lion

Re: WhatsApp Web doesn't work with SM 2.53.1

Post by Frank Lion »

raj_bhaskar wrote:(https://web.whatsapp.com) doesn't work in SM2.53.1 (on Win7. I've got a useragent override set for it (I've tried both Firefox 52 and Firefox 60) but it just gives me an error page indicating that Firefox 52+ is needed.
Use a UA string with a min Firefox version of 65 for that site (the 52+ message is gibberish)

Top Tips - the User Agent Switcher extension is useful for quickly establishing which UA to use.

If in a real hurry or real important to get right, then use M$ Edge Beta - simple to install and less offensive than most, plus sites always seem to work on it. Apart from anything else, it's important to know how a website should be displaying and another browser will often tell you that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I couldn't get it working with either Firefox 65 or the latest version, but the latest version of MS Edge did the job. Thanks :).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

raj_bhaskar wrote:I couldn't get it working with either Firefox 65 or the latest version
I'm thinking you used a site specific override there? A few sites have a 'hidden' site associated with them and it's that one that needs the right UA string.

Trouble is, it can be really tiresome to figure out what that hidden site is to do a site specific on. With the one I have trouble with, it's just easier to use the globally applied User Agent Switcher extension...or use Edge for the site.

Try an about:config global UA override for Firefox 65 sometime and you'll see what I mean.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

raj_bhaskar wrote:I couldn't get it working with either Firefox 65 or the latest version[...]
What do you mean? With site specific override UA for Firefox 68 (ESR) above website is displayed.

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68

I don't have account there so I can't test it fully. Did you see website? Were you able to read QR code?

Remember about cookies permissions for this website.

BTW If you really don't need it then disable Lightning advertising:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences ->Advanced -> HTTP Networking -> in field "User Agent String" unmark/disable "Advertise Lightning installation"

To make sure it will not mess anymore:
in address bar type "about:config" -> search for "calendar.useragent.extra" and delete its value (leave it empty)
Last edited by TPR75 on March 17th, 2020, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
raj_bhaskar wrote:I couldn't get it working with either Firefox 65 or the latest version
I'm thinking you used a site specific override there? A few sites have a 'hidden' site associated with them and it's that one that needs the right UA string.

Trouble is, it can be really tiresome to figure out what that hidden site is to do a site specific on. With the one I have trouble with, it's just easier to use the globally applied User Agent Switcher extension...or use Edge for the site.

Try an about:config global UA override for Firefox 65 sometime and you'll see what I mean.
Frank,

Do you have a version that works with SM 2.53.1? The one listed:

user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-sm-fx.xpi

won't install.

Tks
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Good point above about the Lightning suffix in a UA. Messes up the comments section of the Daily Mail media site, amongst others.
ndebord wrote: Do you have a version that works with SM 2.53.1?
This - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/fi ... b-dl-users

- turn off JavaScript and right click 'Download Now' box and select 'Save Target As..'

Edit install.rdf so that SM section looks like this -

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
        <em:maxVersion>2.60</em:maxVersion>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:Good point above about the Lightning suffix in a UA. Messes up the comments section of the Daily Mail media site, amongst others.
ndebord wrote: Do you have a version that works with SM 2.53.1?
This - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/fi ... b-dl-users

- turn off JavaScript and right click 'Download Now' box and select 'Save Target As..'

Edit install.rdf so that SM section looks like this -

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
        <em:maxVersion>2.60</em:maxVersion>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>
Frank,

That did it.

Thanks

FWIW, although I don't use WhatsApp, with this extension, I was able to get into their website, whereas before it failed and asked me to upgrade to a new version of FireFox.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

here the site work but the qrcode is not recognized.
not problem with other browsers.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Diamanti wrote:here the site work but the qrcode is not recognized.
not problem with other browsers.
Try another UA string or use other browsers for that site then.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

ndebord wrote:
user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-sm-fx.xpi

won't install.

Tks
I am using that version of User Agent Switcher, and it works for me. Before trying to install it, I edited install.rdf and increased the max version for em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a} to 3.* so that I would not have to worry about it being marked as incompatible after the next update of SeaMonkey.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank,

Followup. Not only does User Agent Switcher work as advertised, your string for Firefox 68 has made life much easier for me with banking sites, such as Citibank and Chase where SM failed before.... I use the Fx 68 string on both and VOILA! all works with SM again. Nice.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

Whatsapp work after permit Offline web application.
firmanium

Post by firmanium »

raj_bhaskar wrote:Hi, this may be an evangelism issue, but WhatsApp Web (https://web.whatsapp.com) doesn't work in SM2.53.1 (on Win7. I've got a useragent override set for it (I've tried both Firefox 52 and Firefox 60) but it just gives me an error page indicating that Firefox 52+ is needed.

I've not yet upgraded my SM at work (2.49.5 on Win10) and WhatsApp Web works okay on that.

1. In URL enter :
about:config
2. Warning appears. Click I Accept the Risk!
3. Fill in search: general.useragent.compatmode.strict-firefox
4. Change the Value from False to True
5. Restart Seamonkey

credits : https://sasongko.web.id/post/2020-10-22 ... seamonkey/