Videos on newsites will not play

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
fixit7

Videos on newsites will not play

Post by fixit7 »

Videos on sites such as CNN and ABC do not play.

They play on FF?

What is wrong?

Thanks.
ndebord

Re: Videos on newsites will not play

Post by ndebord »

fixit7 wrote:Videos on sites such as CNN and ABC do not play.

They play on FF?

What is wrong?

Thanks.
Can you share a URL where it does not work? It works for me here.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... -point.cnn

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
hardys

Post by hardys »

I have no problem playing videos on CNN or ABC with SM 2.53.10 beta1pre
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

does OP have Noscript addon installed?
if so that might be why videos on the CNN site don't play in SM.
I disable Noscript addon entirely in SM and videos play on the CNN site but if I enable Noscript, they either don't play or show an error message that something went wrong
fixit7

Post by fixit7 »

ndebord wrote:
fixit7 wrote:Videos on sites such as CNN and ABC do not play.

They play on FF?

What is wrong?

Thanks.
Can you share a URL where it does not work? It works for me here.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... -point.cnn

Nick
Your link does not work for me.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

It works for me.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
v_v

Post by v_v »

I was able to duplicate the problem of fixit7 at the link provided by ndebord (" https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... -point.cnn "). When I first clicked the link the page came up and the video swirled and appeared but did not play. It acted like it was about to play but it did not. However I also saw that there was a notice from SeaMonkey that either a pop-up was being blocked or that something else was being blocked, and it gave me the choices of "Keep blocking", "Unblock", or "Preferences". When I clicked "Unblock" the video swirled again and after a few seconds it began to play.

So fixit7 you might want to go to your "Preferences\Privacy & Security\Popup Windows" and check your settings. On my settings I have 'checkmarks' in the boxes for both of the following, "Display an icon in the browser status bar" and "Display a notification bar at the top of the content area". Therefore SeaMonkey notifies me when something is being blocked. Perhaps you may need to make some changes there so that you will be notified if SeaMonkey is blocking something. It is worth a try.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

tried in a test New Profile?
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

fixit7

Post by fixit7 »

v_v wrote:I was able to duplicate the problem of fixit7 at the link provided by ndebord (" https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... -point.cnn "). When I first clicked the link the page came up and the video swirled and appeared but did not play. It acted like it was about to play but it did not. However I also saw that there was a notice from SeaMonkey that either a pop-up was being blocked or that something else was being blocked, and it gave me the choices of "Keep blocking", "Unblock", or "Preferences". When I clicked "Unblock" the video swirled again and after a few seconds it began to play.

So fixit7 you might want to go to your "Preferences\Privacy & Security\Popup Windows" and check your settings. On my settings I have 'checkmarks' in the boxes for both of the following, "Display an icon in the browser status bar" and "Display a notification bar at the top of the content area". Therefore SeaMonkey notifies me when something is being blocked. Perhaps you may need to make some changes there so that you will be notified if SeaMonkey is blocking something. It is worth a try.
I have those same boxes checked.

I will just live with the issue.
v_v

Post by v_v »

fixit7,

I also discovered yesterday that in different browser another one of the cnn videos would not play. I tried that same web page in another browser WITHOUT adblock (uBlock Origin in my case) and the video ran like it was supposed to. What I noticed was that there was an ad embedded right before the video, and if the ad did not run then the video would not play.
fixit7

Post by fixit7 »

v_v wrote:fixit7,

I also discovered yesterday that in different browser another one of the cnn videos would not play. I tried that same web page in another browser WITHOUT adblock (uBlock Origin in my case) and the video ran like it was supposed to. What I noticed was that there was an ad embedded right before the video, and if the ad did not run then the video would not play.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have no problem when I use Firefox.

I am increasingly having other issues as certain sites (banking) not working as well.

I forsee a time coming when I will uninstall Seamonkey and use FF exclusively.

That's a bummer since FF does not play well with the Reminder Fox addon.