Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
TPR75

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:I just got a blank page at msn.com even though I have general.useragent.override set.
It works for me and I tested it on TEST profile with the almost same UA like yours (Fx78 under Win7). It must be something different. Cookies permissions, uBO filters, other.

But I admit that MSN.com website is doing UA sniffing because with original SeaMonkey User Agent string their website is crippled/broken.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TPR75 wrote:It works for me and I tested it on TEST profile with the almost same UA like yours (Fx78 under Win7). It must be something different...
To test these redirecting sites correctly, you also do need to use a VPN (US location in this case) so that you see what the user sees. Plus first clear cache and any perp site cookies. Plus, also test the site links....Do that, and you get a blank page using a FF78 UA, as user stated..
because with original SeaMonkey User Agent string their website is crippled/broken
Works fine for me using the default SM UA string shown below.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

youtube.com appears to work fine for me with SM.

Is setting general.useragent.override the reason that msn.com won't work with SM?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:youtube.com appears to work fine for me with SM.
You don't see this then, like this guy and everyone who has ever tested Youtube with FF78 then? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14902816

Is setting general.useragent.override the reason that msn.com won't work with SM?
Reckon so. On FF78 UA you have to go to one of their links, i.e. not main page, and then you get a blank page. When I flipped back to my normal default UA string (under this post) and refreshed, then the previously blank page, er, became a non-blank page i.e. a normal webpage.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote:You don't see this then
Here is what I see...

[EDITED TO ADD] And now msn.com is working for me with SM???
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Here is what I see...

...[EDITED TO ADD] And now msn.com is working for me with SM???
Both results are most bizarre, especially in the case of YouTube and FF78..

Still, looks like your problem(s) are now resolved.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TPR75 wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:I just got a blank page at msn.com even though I have general.useragent.override set.
It works for me and I tested it on TEST profile with the almost same UA like yours (Fx78 under Win7). It must be something different. Cookies permissions, uBO filters, other.

But I admit that MSN.com website is doing UA sniffing because with original SeaMonkey User Agent string their website is crippled/broken.
TPR75,

It works for me too. Using this useragent string:

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote: I just got a blank page at msn.com even though I have general.useragent.override set.
Not 'even though', but 'because of'. Which is why you can't see anything here either - https://www.youtube.com/ i.e. the #2 most visited site in the world.
Oddly enough, I have no problems whatsoever using YT on SM! Not a single issue. Weird how some of us have problems with certain sites, yet others don't.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Oddly enough, I have no problems whatsoever using YT on SM!
Not that odd, as people using the default UA string of Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2, as you are, should have no problems with most of YouTube.

I have zero problems with that site, but then again I am using a site specific override for it.
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Not a single issue.
That's the odd bit, as the same people using the same default Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2 UA do report that they are unable to view channel pages like this -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrfKGp ... e68dzXgJuA

https://www.youtube.com/c/mymechanics/videos

Those people and others are free of course to test those links again and report their findings here.
Last edited by Frank Lion on January 8th, 2022, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Oddly enough, I have no problems whatsoever using YT on SM!
Not that odd, as people using the default UA string of Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2 (or just Firefox/68.0 ), as you are, should have no problems with most of YouTube.

I have zero problems with that site, but then again I am using a site specific override for it.
That's the odd bit, as the same people using the same default Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2 UA do report that they are unable to view channel pages like this -

Those people and others are free of course to test those links again and report their findings here.
Frank,

Again, thanks for the useragent string info. Youtube now works for me in Seamonkey with this override:

mozilla/5.0 (Android 7.0; Mobile; rv:54.0) Gecko/54.0 Firefox/54.0

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ndebord wrote:Youtube now works for me in Seamonkey with this override:

It will work if you'll use original SeaMonkey UA (without Firefox) for site specific override.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TPR75 wrote:
ndebord wrote:Youtube now works for me in Seamonkey with this override:

It will work if you'll use original SeaMonkey UA (without Firefox) for site specific override.
TPR75,

I'll try that. OK, it too works.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53

Tks

Nick
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Frank Lion wrote:
Not that odd, as people using the default UA string of Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2, as you are, should have no problems with most of YouTube.

So.....I guess I've just been lucky! Now I'll have to change my wording to "not a single issue with any YT page I normally visit." Yep, sure enough, both of the URLs you posted yielded a lovely white page with a search box at the top. And nothing else.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote: [.....]
So.....I guess I've just been lucky! Now I'll have to change my wording to "not a single issue with any YT page I normally visit." Yep, sure enough, both of the URLs you posted yielded a lovely white page with a search box at the top. And nothing else.

If you use a 'site specific override' you will have NO problem with any YouTube video ...

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.youtube.com;Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

Cheers!! 8-)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

delta.com won't complete a ticket process with SeaMonkey but does fine with other browser.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete