Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: I only use Edge Beta (duh, it means use the default browser for your OS) twice a week. But with the Open With extension, you are looking at the same webpage in a different browser in 5 seconds and that includes right clicking the perp page, selecting 'Open with whatever' and the other browser opening - 5 seconds
Frank, can you please provide exact instructions as to what you mean with "Open With extension"?

What I do is load the URL from the top bar in SM and then Open the other browser and paste that into the top bar there. I often have to re-enter my ID and PW in the other browser. Not a terrible sequence, but considerably more than "5 secconds".

It would be nice to try to understand the sequence you are referring to.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
v_v

Post by v_v »

Peter (and Frank),

Well I learned something new tonight. I had basically been using the same method as Peter had about using a different browser (that is, open the new browser, paste the url, etc).

So sure enough I search for the "open with" extension and eventually figure out that the extension is at the Thunderbird extension site. So step by step:

1. Go to " https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... /versions/ ". This is the "other versions" page because the current version apparently does not work in SeaMonkey.
2. At the bottom of the page download Version 6.8.6. (This appears to be the last version that will work with SeaMonkey and even though a version for SM 2.53.12 is not listed, the 2.49 version still works).
3. After downloading the file, go to the SeaMonkey "Add-ons Manager" under the "Tools" menu, and choose the Extensions tab.
4. Find the settings wheel near the top right corner, and click the small downward pointing triangle and choose "Install Add-on from file".
5. Find the downloaded file and install it. You will need to restart SeaMonkey after this.
6. After the restart the "Open with" extension pops up first thing so that the desired options can be chosen. The "Open with" extension seems to search for all installed browsers and then to list all the ones that it found. In my case I had to add five more.
7. Once all of the options have been selected, everything is set to be used, and the "Open with" option appears under the "View" menu if and/or when needed.

So in using this feature, when there is a web page that does not work correctly in SeaMonkey, while remaining on that web page simply click the "View" part of the menu bar and choose one of the "Open with" browser options that you have set up. Once you make that choice, the particular web page that you are having problems with will automatically open in the chosen alternative browser. No copying and pasting is necessary.

[Edit - 6-25-22: -- After reviewing what Frank said, actually you can just 'right click' on the problem web page and all of the "open with" options immediately appear. There is no need to even click the "View" part of the menu bar, as I wrote above. So yes, about "5 seconds" or however long it takes for the alternate browser to open.]

Nice little extension.

As always, thanks Frank.

v_v
Last edited by v_v on June 25th, 2022, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

v_v wrote: No copying and pasting is necessary. Nice little extension.
Thank you. As a proponent of keeping my SeaMonkey system lean and clean, I was hoping for a simpler strategy. I'll have to think about this.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Frank Lion wrote:Wow, this last page seems to have gone off the topic of the thread!

I really don't see what the problem is with using another browser for any sites that seem not to work well with SeaMonkey. As mentioned in my last post on this thread, I only use Edge Beta (duh, it means use the default browser for your OS) twice a week. But with the Open With extension, you are looking at the same webpage in a different browser in 5 seconds and that includes right clicking the perp page, selecting 'Open with whatever' and the other browser opening - 5 seconds

Even if you had to use Edge Beta twelve times a day, that is one minute out of your day!

Now look at the posts on this page, I'm reckoning most took a lot more than a minute to write, wouldn't it just be easier to do the above and move on with your life, instead of fretting about this stuff?

If a website appears to not work with SM then try a new testing profile, try in another browser and then just report here, without all the assumptions and 'extra' comments. As seen on this thread, in some cases the problem can be sorted by doing something really simple.

Incidentally, being in love with SeaMonkey or donating (?) to SeaMonkey doesn't give people a free pass and 'Get Out of Jail Free' card here. It doesn't give them the right to badmouth SM with these constant 'Another website that doesn't work with Seamonkey!!!' or 'What browser to use if SeaMonkey fails?' posts - Why? Well, because it's clear that any new developers are going to come from new users and not existing ones and you ain't exactly making SM sounds that great and that may well put off new users. See? So, you are sorta shooting yourself in the foot acting like that.

Oh, and perhaps less of the 'I WANT this' and 'I do not WANT that' stuff? However justified it may seem at the time, this is how it reads to potential new users -
Sorry, but I think you're missing the point. Expressing the *truth* that SM doesn't work with site X any more, but did for 20 years, is not a BAD thing. It's just a statement of fact. And for those of us who love SM and do not WANT to stop using it--even once a day--I think we have a right to voice what's happening.

For me, it takes less than a second to switch to a different browser--but that's not the point. The point is that SM is the browser I *want* to use, exclusively, and it's no longer possible. And it's not one time a day or week, it's MULTIPLE times daily. It's not 12 minutes a day, it's several HOURS a day, depending on what I'm doing.

As for thinking I have special rights because of donating, no, I don't. I'm merely pointing out that I love SM so much that I've felt compelled to support it the only way I can, financially. If my programming skills weren't in the toilet, I'd offer my services to help improve SM. Kindly don't misinterpret one thing for another.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

SM doesn't work with site X any more,
Perhaps it's more a matter of a site which was working with SeaMonkey is no longer doing so. Changed code on the site may cause SeaMonkey to be unable to access it.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

DanRaisch wrote: Perhaps it's more a matter of a site which was working with SeaMonkey is no longer doing so. Changed code on the site may cause SeaMonkey to be unable to access it.
I don't think that semantic means much in this thread. Sure, a site may change its code, but the result is still that SM can't render it. If the code stayed the same and SM could no longer render it, then it would be a (regression) bug in SM. As it is, it is an incompatibility with SM and the site because the site is using a valid technology that SM doesn't understand.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, truth is...in most cases, if sites work with other browsers, then SeaMonkey ought to be able to handle these sites also.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's an assumption that doesn't hold a lot of water. Similar things were said of Firefox in the past but it was Firefox that was holding to standards and sites that were deviating from those standards. I can't say the same thing is happening here with SeaMonkey but I don't think we should accept it as given that SeaMonkey has stopped working with well coded, standards compliant sites.
LinuxUserSince1991

I see--and agree with--the points both Dan and Peter are making. Weird, right?! :) But really, I see both sides and think they both have merit.

I don't like crappy programming and wish that sites didn't deviate from basic, well-accepted standards. But at the same time, I also don't like not being able to use my default browser 100% of the time--like when it hits a site with crappy programming and can't render it correctly.

The solution? Beats me. I just want to use SM all the time, and stop being forced to use other browsers.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The answer is to just quietly and without drama, use a browser that does work on that site.
LinuxUserSince1991

DanRaisch wrote:The answer is to just quietly and without drama, use a browser that does work on that site.
Do you remember the "this site optimized for Internet Exploder" days? As a *nix person, ONLY, I never had that piece of crap available to me, nor would I have used it if I did. Do you remember the "Any Browser" campaign? I do! I participated heavily. Among other things, I contacted every site that didn't work with [whichever iteration of SM I had at the time] and told them they'd lost me as a customer because of their silly, exclusive browser policy. Do you *EVER* see a site today that only works with [whatever the crap browser from window$ is called now]? No? Me either!! That's because people complained.

Silently using a different browser will just help kill off SM...
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

time to close this thread?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's because people complained.
No. It's more likely that Chrome came on the scene and change the landscape entirely.

This thread is not progressing. It's just churning over old ground so I'm locking it.